Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How real of an issue is vibration? (Read 190 times)
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
How real of an issue is vibration?
08/21/20 at 22:18:20

My buddy is a long time rider and the original owner of a 1977 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing. In conversing with him about seriously considering a Boulevard S40 as my first motorcycle, he steadfastly recommended against a single cylinder engine due to the vibration.

I read that the counterbalance shaft on the LS650 was revised in 1996. How much of a difference did the revision make? Is my buddy thinking of old school thumpers and newer ones are more refined or is it the same?

The most recent thread on the forum regarding vibration, appears to date back to 2009. Is it because the vibration has been improved or are riders simply accepting of it?

Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How real of an issue is vibration?
Reply #1 - 08/21/20 at 23:01:36

Every rose has its thorn, man,, They do vibrate, but Ive got arthritis in both hands bad enoough I cant run a gas powered weedeater for more than a coupe of minutes,, so I got an electric,,
But I can ride them.. No special gloves, just Tractor Supply leather work gloves, the thinnest ones I can get, and no aftermarket grips,,
The big thing for me is to control the grip,, No need to choke the handlebars..
Its simple to maintain, one carb,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/21/20 at 23:30:12

Every rose has its thorn, man,, They do vibrate, but Ive got arthritis in both hands bad enoough I cant run a gas powered weedeater for more than a coupe of minutes,, so I got an electric,,
But I can ride them.. No special gloves, just Tractor Supply leather work gloves, the thinnest ones I can get, and no aftermarket grips,,
The big thing for me is to control the grip,, No need to choke the handlebars..
Its simple to maintain, one carb,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 08/22/20 at 04:15:09

For a large thumper, the LS650 is quite smooth, smoother than many vintage parallel twins. It’s not as smooth as my V-twin SV650 or FZ600 (I4), but it is smoother than my DRZ400 which is also a balance-shaft single. Suzuki did a good job on this engine.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 08/22/20 at 05:25:07

LOL I don't even notice the vibration on this thing.  It's a motorcycle.  It's supposed to make a little noise, vibrate a little, and get some wind in your face.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 08/22/20 at 05:34:26

I found vibration not to be a problem, unless maybe you are trying to maintain 70+ mph. The balance shaft really does its job.

Vibration was my '68 BSA 441 Victor.

BSA_441_Victor-02_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/22/20 at 08:53:13

bobert_FSO wrote on 08/22/20 at 05:34:26:
I found vibration not to be a problem, unless maybe you are trying to maintain 70+ mph. The balance shaft really does its job.

It looks similar to the current Royal Enfield Classic 500 with its 499cc thumper engine.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 08/22/20 at 11:51:24

Yes it does! Good eye.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/22/20 at 16:28:42

Your first motorcycle is not likely to be your forever motorcycle.

The Savage is a good bike to learn on - it is relatively light weight, easy to maneuver, doesn't have too many gizmos to get you confused.  And unlike a lot of smaller "first" motorcycles - this one is big enough that it can keep up with most traffic and maintain highway speeds.  It can go a long way when required - several members ride their bikes on long trips.....and currently we have a young woman riding hers on a quest to go to all 48 states!

If you can find a good one at a good price - you really can't go wrong starting out on this bike.  If you develop a "Need for Speed"......you will likely start looking for more power.

I have ridden mine on quite a few 300 mile a day rides and never got bothered by the vibration.  The balance shaft does a good job - I have never ridden a vintage BSA, or Matchless 500cc single.....but from what I understand they shook something fierce!

But - compared to a Gold Wing......the Savage does vibrate.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/22/20 at 18:57:14

Dave wrote on 08/22/20 at 16:28:42:
Your first motorcycle is not likely to be your forever motorcycle.

The Savage is a good bike to learn on - it is relatively light weight, easy to maneuver, doesn't have too many gizmos to get you confused.  And unlike a lot of smaller "first" motorcycles - this one is big enough that it can keep up with most traffic and maintain highway speeds.  It can go a long way when required - several members ride their bikes on long trips.....and currently we have a young woman riding hers on a quest to go to all 48 states!

If you can find a good one at a good price - you really can't go wrong starting out on this bike.  If you develop a "Need for Speed"......you will likely start looking for more power.

I have ridden mine on quite a few 300 mile a day rides and never got bothered by the vibration.  The balance shaft does a good job - I have never ridden a vintage BSA, or Matchless 500cc single.....but from what I understand they shook something fierce!

But - compared to a Gold Wing......the Savage does vibrate.

I intend for my first motorcycle to be a forever bike, in the sense that if I were to someday want a bigger and/or more powerful one, I would keep the first and purchase a second.

I love the look of the matte black 2018-19 models. With 2019 being the final year of the S40, there are some good discounts to be had, that make a new one a viable purchase.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/22/20 at 21:05:47

My dad said HD's had a real vibration issue... couldn't keep his hands on the handlebars.
And he had a BSA Goldstar.

WWW   IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/24/20 at 12:48:52

Wild1OR wrote on 08/21/20 at 22:18:20:
My buddy is a long time rider and the original owner of a 1977 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing. In conversing with him about seriously considering a Boulevard S40 as my first motorcycle, he steadfastly recommended against a single cylinder engine due to the vibration.

I read that the counterbalance shaft on the LS650 was revised in 1996. How much of a difference did the revision make? Is my buddy thinking of old school thumpers and newer ones are more refined or is it the same?

The most recent thread on the forum regarding vibration, appears to date back to 2009. Is it because the vibration has been improved or are riders simply accepting of it?

Thanks!

One feel that its a big thumper perticaly on accelration.
The balance axel does its job.. and they left some feelings, so one know that one ride a bike. Smiley
Do a lot of accelration frome standing still, then you fell it, but on even revs like crusing there are none.
Im altso hade Honda four in a row, they altso vibrates, all bikes vibrates but in other ways.

It was those old English bikes that vibrated a lot, in a not so comfortable way.
In any case, LS650/S40 is a good cheap beginners bike, sit on one, its small.. not to small for a grown up man.
You dont lose to much money if you buy one low milage and then figure out that you need a Gold Wing or Harley next year!
Its mostly about what kind of riding you do.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #12 - 08/24/20 at 13:16:05

bobert_FSO wrote on 08/22/20 at 05:34:26:

I had a 441 back in the late 60’s. Loved that bike. Yeah it vibrated. It always felt like it had power to spare tho. Been looking for one to add to my Brit bike collection 😀

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #13 - 08/25/20 at 13:58:17

Ditto the vibration-at-speed reflection; if you plan to charge the bike for extended periods, do yourself a solid and apply thread lock to most all of the external screws- else you will shed them.   Take a gander at my license plate after the last ride:

25F51F68-E132-4CEE-A9D3-89CDC264B922.jpeg

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #14 - 08/26/20 at 17:29:29

Mavigogun wrote on 08/25/20 at 13:58:17:
Ditto the vibration-at-speed reflection; if you plan to charge the bike for extended periods, do yourself a solid and apply thread lock to most all of the external screws- else you will shed them.   Take a gander at my license plate after the last ride:

It does vibrate a lot back there. I moved my brake light and turn signals to the end of the rear fender. I mabe a bent-aluminuim mounting bracket for the turn signals. One day, after a ride I found the turn signals hanging by the wires. The bracket had failed. I also lost a licence plate in similar fashion.

I made a new (steel) bracket for the lights and put some large washers on the licence plate screws. It's been fine for months now.

As for vibration in general, I actually like the hum, especially above 100kms/hour. Although aftermarket handlebars (without weights inside them) can vibrate enough to turn my fingers numb and white at that speed.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How real of an issue is vibration?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.