Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Overweight Beginner on an S40? (Read 431 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Overweight Beginner on an S40?
Reply #30 - 08/25/20 at 18:00:39

His attitude wasn't a problem.  Was just excited about the getting started.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 08/27/20 at 02:09:19

There is no doubt that I made a comment that initiated his departure.

We were all receptive and willing to help him decide if it would be a good bike for him.  Questions about his size, the vibration, etc. were discussed willingly and without prejudice.  When he began to ask about drilling holes in a muffler on a bike he didn't own yet and likely has never ridden - I began to get a bit uncomfortable.......and then came the question about a headlight grill.  My thought was we were going to spend time answering questions about upgrading turn signals, tail light, foot pegs, brakes, fuel tank, fork oil, windshield, GPS, LED's, seat, forward controls, etc. on a bike he may never own.  (Anyone who was around when Cheapnewb24 was around can relate to how much time we can spend in an attempt to "help" a person without making any progress).

I had only hoped to temper his questions/posts to the relevant "pre-purchase" issues that would help him decide if the Savage was right for him........and making a test ride was likely the next step to see if he even liked the way the bike rode and was comfortable for him.

After 8 years of being on this forum maybe I am getting a bit cranky.  I have made over 15,000 posts - which probably means I have also read 150,000 or more.  I can remember some threads on troubleshooting engine or electrical issues where I have spent an hour or more thinking/taking photos/posting comments in an attempt to resolve the issues.......I really do try to be helpful when a forum member has a difficult problem.  Perhaps I should have just let everyone else answer his questions and not tried to curb his enthusiasm?

I wonder if the Harley Forum guys are being any nicer to him?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #32 - 08/27/20 at 02:27:24

@Dave, FWIW, I'm a relative noob here (maybe three years) and I thought he just seemed like another enthusiastic noob. I thought your response to him was kind of harsh, but given your experience I thought maybe you intuited something I didn't pick up on. I don't know if I'm right or wrong on that.

I respect your knowledge and experience. But there's my feedback for what it's worth.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 08/27/20 at 03:18:10

I tossed him something he may not have received well,, not sure,, If he didnt get it and took it wrong,, Like Dave,, I didnt Intend to chap the guy, and he is apparently a grown man,,
In BAlance, he was well received and well treated and got butthurt and left,,
Someone serious about it wouldnt have just folded like a pissed off five year old..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #34 - 08/27/20 at 04:57:44

He brought in a problem, and that was his weight.
Of course it is not a problem, besides that it is a mental problem, the suzuki pulls it easily.
But you experience that differently if you weigh a lot yourself. Self-awareness is a difficult phenomenon.

I am on a forum in the Netherlands where I have been helping people for years. One is easier to help than the other.

We are going through a difficult period collectively. And times are uncertain, which also has repercussions here on the forum.
But I like the fact that we cycle through the same interest and that that brings us together.

let's never forget that participating in a forum should be more input than taking out. After all, an adult knows:

Giving is more joyful than taking. Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 08/27/20 at 07:57:38

Well said,.. Zeven... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #36 - 08/27/20 at 14:55:21

Ok , while we try not to run off new members , it happens Dave. The ones we can’t stand won’t go away and some only post a few then go. Got to have some thick skin here and not wear your feelings on your sleeve. There are some newbie predators here , myself included. Sometimes you can’t help yourself and sometimes it’s not done on purpose.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #37 - 08/27/20 at 18:13:39

I belong to a number of groups and forums. I have many different motorcycles including Honda’s, Suzuki, Harley, Triumph and Norton. This is one of the better forums. People here have been friendly and willing to share and help.

It’s too bad if the OP took something personally. Could be he just went on vacation and we all will have egg on our faces when he comes back  Grin

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #38 - 08/28/20 at 05:14:47

Hopefully he is completing his S40 purchase and finds his way back.

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #39 - 08/30/20 at 00:37:51

ohiomoto wrote on 08/28/20 at 05:14:47:
Hopefully he is completing his S40 purchase and finds his way back.

Agreed. One of the biggest mistakes motorcyclists make, over and over again, is not encouraging and supporting the enthusiasm and curiosity of potential new riders. We won't be getting more new riders in the saddle if we scare them off.  I'm a highly experienced rider, and I'm interested in this bike as a fun project, but I'm sure there are a lot of new and prospective riders out there, and if they show enough initiative to actually seek out information, we owe it to them to do what we can to foster their enthusiasm. This is particularly true for the younger generation, who doesn't need to put up with a bunch of BS from old timers about how things used to be.  We've got to be better.  

Apologies for the rant, everyone, but this kind of thing happens entirely too often, and the result is that we end up with fewer riders every year.  I'd like to see this hobby/sport/way of life continue into the future, and we can all have a role in making this a more inclusive, and by extension, interesting activity.

IP Logged
RH FACTOR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 10/06/20 at 16:16:22

I am 6' and 260 and my S40 propels me down the road 75 mph. Love this bike.

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #41 - 10/06/20 at 19:08:01

He bought a Guzzi V7III. I don't think anyone chased him off.
He had started a thread similar to this one on the Guzzi forum.
The smaller Guzzi is a great bike for a starting rider that one would not out grow.

IP Logged
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 10/07/20 at 06:37:30

Dave wrote on 08/27/20 at 02:09:19:
There is no doubt that I made a comment that initiated his departure.

We were all receptive and willing to help him decide if it would be a good bike for him.  Questions about his size, the vibration, etc. were discussed willingly and without prejudice.  When he began to ask about drilling holes in a muffler on a bike he didn't own yet and likely has never ridden - I began to get a bit uncomfortable.......and then came the question about a headlight grill.  My thought was we were going to spend time answering questions about upgrading turn signals, tail light, foot pegs, brakes, fuel tank, fork oil, windshield, GPS, LED's, seat, forward controls, etc. on a bike he may never own.  (Anyone who was around when Cheapnewb24 was around can relate to how much time we can spend in an attempt to "help" a person without making any progress).

I had only hoped to temper his questions/posts to the relevant "pre-purchase" issues that would help him decide if the Savage was right for him........and making a test ride was likely the next step to see if he even liked the way the bike rode and was comfortable for him.

After 8 years of being on this forum maybe I am getting a bit cranky.  I have made over 15,000 posts - which probably means I have also read 150,000 or more.  I can remember some threads on troubleshooting engine or electrical issues where I have spent an hour or more thinking/taking photos/posting comments in an attempt to resolve the issues.......I really do try to be helpful when a forum member has a difficult problem.  Perhaps I should have just let everyone else answer his questions and not tried to curb his enthusiasm?

I wonder if the Harley Forum guys are being any nicer to him?

FWIW, I'm late to this thread.

I had weight loss surgery.  I'm 240ish, been 360ish.

Own a 2017 Boulevard S40.  Love it to death.  Named her Fiona.

Didn't see anything offensive here (posts I saw).

Got my endorsement at the tender young age of 54  with my Boulevard.

FWIW.

70872335_10212490369368778_4260580666841759744_n.jpg
  IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #43 - 10/07/20 at 07:13:18

Here’s what I know.

Without even needing to ask a question, this forum has taught me everything I need to know about owning this bike for the long term.  It eliminated my sense that this was only a beginner bike and that I would need to upgrade at some point in the future to get the most out of riding.  I am now confident that this is the only bike I will ever own.  As a matter of fact, I just bought a second one.  I love the fact that it is simple and easy to work on.

The patience of the experts on this forum is outstanding.  They answer the same questions time and time again without the slightest hint of annoyance or “GO SEARCH THE THREADS”.  I know that whatever issue I may face, I have a place to go for help.

Kudos to you all!

Bob
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #44 - 10/07/20 at 07:15:59

Dave and JOG tag teamed him in another thread!  Grin

BUT, there was nothing offensive about it.  They could have taken a softer approach, but they really just told him to get a bike, learn how to ride, and then worry about the modifications.  It had nothing to with being new or overweight, etc.   Dave explained it well.  

So he moved on, got a Guzzi, and is getting started.  All is well.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 14:48:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overweight Beginner on an S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.