Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Overweight Beginner on an S40? (Read 431 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Overweight Beginner on an S40?
Reply #15 - 08/23/20 at 06:54:08

Wild1OR wrote on 08/22/20 at 21:17:35:
It sounds like you don't like the Savage.  Smiley
----------------

They are great bikes, but I don't really like the the Savage in stock form.  I purchased my 96 with the intention building it into a something else.  I rode it in mostly stock form for a summer. I'm 6'3" and it was just a little tight for me and I'm not really a cruiser guy anyway.  

But I really do like the easy handling or the bike, its simplicity, the engine is a work or art, and is fun to ride.   I also have a 06 in the garage that I tool around on once in awhile and I don't enjoy riding it as much as my 96.

I guess in stock form, it's a sort of "love, it's okay" relationship for me.   But I do love much about these bikes and love see the mix of creativity and passion for the Savage on here.

This is my daily driver.  I commute to work with it and put 6-7k trouble free miles on it most summers.

« Last Edit: 08/23/20 at 15:41:08 by ohiomoto »  

IMG_20200823_094159761.jpg
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #16 - 08/23/20 at 07:06:23

All models, suzuki never changed the cam tensioner design.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/23/20 at 08:39:55

ohiomoto wrote on 08/23/20 at 06:54:08:
Wild1OR wrote on 08/22/20 at 21:17:35:
It sounds like you don't like the Savage.  Smiley
----------------

They are great bikes, but I don't really like the the Savage in stock form.  I purchased my 96 with the intention building it into a something else.  I rode it in mostly stock form for a summer. I'm 6'3" and it was just a little tight for me and I'm not really a cruiser guy anyway.  

But I really do like the easy handling or the bike, it's simplicity, the engine is a work or art, and is fun to ride.   I also have a 06 in the garage that I tool around on once in awhile and I don't enjoy riding it as much as my 96.

I guess in stock form, it's a sort of "love, it's okay" relationship for me.   But I do love much about these bikes and love see the mix of creativity and passion for the Savage on here.

This is my daily driver.  I commute to work with it and put 6-7k trouble free miles on it most summers.

Moto,, whats your inseam?

The biggest I can get that picture only lets me see you dont have forward controls?
I cant see them if they are there..

I had a Guzzi Nevada,, the pegs were too close to my butt,, Im short, but I am Not a jockey,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #18 - 08/23/20 at 15:45:50

My inseam is 36" and I have mid-controls and a higher seating position on my bike.  It fits more like an old Triumph or your W650 I would guess.  Plus I can stand up for jumps and stuff if I need to.  

Just kidding about the jumps, well mostly kidding.  haha  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 08/23/20 at 15:54:29

Daggum speedbumps are uncomfortable,, Standing on the savage requires handlebars that wont slip,,
I used my Buckhorns to get off the seat a few times,, and they dint budge the clamps..
When it went into the side of that caar they were tilted forward,, a few inches

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #20 - 08/23/20 at 16:06:15

Standing on forward controls while puling on the bars is a good way to get killed.  Best you can do is is to stay seated, lean as far forward and move the bulk of your weight weight in front of your ass.

When you stand on a standard bike nearly all of your weight is being carried through your feet and legs.  Your ams are just there to help keep yourself balanced.  You really shouldn't be pulling on the bars.  If you are, you need to get your weight in front of the pegs (again, impossible with forward controls) and let the bike push you forward with the pegs.  

I learned this stuff racing motocross.  Cruisers limit some of what you can do, but really, not much reason to be standing on the pegs on paved roads.

« Last Edit: 08/23/20 at 18:16:05 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/23/20 at 17:07:01

I only do that for speed bumps, and Im cool with not twisting the giggle stick,,
Point I was making was,
The bars didnt move when I pulled hard enuff to get my butt off the seat
But they moved when I didnt have a hand on them, and the bike hit that car,
I get what yer sayin,, Im okay doin that,, I think,, anyway,, Ive never had ant drama because of it,,
Maybe Im overlookin something?
Your concern is twisting the gas?
Or something else?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #22 - 08/23/20 at 18:25:21

Sure, whisky throttle is a concern, but the bigger issue is lack of balance.  Riding a motorcycle for sport is about balance.  When your feet are on forward controls and you try to stand you are in a very poor position to control the motorcycle.  I get what you are saying about the momentary pop off the seat though.  Not judging that just making sure it's clear for the OP more than anything.  

Cruisers are pretty much meant to be ridden from a seated position.  That's cool for tooling around out there on the roads as long as you don't run into major problems.  Dual sports, standards, and performance oriented bikes give you the option of getting out of the seat which gives you much more control over the bike when needed.  But the reality is my tushy spends 99% of the time in the seat anyways.  If I were riding off road, I bet it would spend less than 10% in the seat.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 08/24/20 at 08:27:38

Ohh,, Yeah,, let me be clear,, I ONLY do that to protect my lower back from the bump,, even slow, its a bump,, twenty years ago I wouldnt have expended that much effort to going over a speedbump.
I was just sayin the bars didnt move when I used them to get up for three or four seconds, but when the bike went from 45 MPH to Zero,, they moved forward..
No,, trying to ride down the road, even if you could feel safe about  throttle control, its just not gonna work,,
Handling a bike with nearly all your weight hanging from the bars is a bad idea..

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/24/20 at 12:10:20

Okey you is a big guy, and a beginner.
Try one, sit on one, you are a big guy, try to figure out if its comfortable.
In any case, moste bikes are made för persons thats weigts less, as springs and shock absorbers!
Put the spring on higest tension.. you probably need to do that to any other bike?
And then its about what kind of riding you want?
Its only 30 HP on this one, but a good torque.
In any case, my friends rides Harleys, Ducatis, Triumph, there are speed limits on every rod.. I wonder when they use all other HPs?
Its a small bike.. not to small.. its sutible for a grown up person.
Its a cheap bike and a good beginners bike befor one know what kind of bike one lika to have.
Its a cruiser/a big thumper/custom like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UanC_kkHgRw

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 08/24/20 at 14:49:33

Eat oatmeal ! Everyday for breakfast for a year.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/25/20 at 14:03:24

Wild1OR wrote on 08/23/20 at 00:01:11:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/20 at 23:37:03:
Well,, You will be,, You wont be the first to get one and then get some tools,, Theres no regular maintenance that is difficult. It just requires planning and patience and a gentle touch,, so ya dont twist off bolts and strip threads..
Youll get all the years of experience on this forum made available.
Theres guys here who know stuff the mechanics at the dealership dont know,
Little things that make them work  longer, like a modification on the cam chain tensioner,,
Just remember its easier to go back and tighten something a bit more than to repair a problem created by breaking something,,
Ohh,, what am I saying? Youre only 5'11" and 400 pounds,, You probably cant twist a 6 mm bolt off,, right?

I read on a different forum about a retaining clip modification for the LS650 to prevent the cam chain tensioner from falling into the engine when it wears. It reminded me of the modification that you mentioned. Is it to what you're referring?

Is it something that affects certain model years and it was resolved at some point or is it all model years?

It's for all model years... they all have the problem that the cam chain tensioner is not retained at end of travel.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 08/25/20 at 17:01:32

Naah, not my little idea,, thats too hard to get people to understand,, Your Verslavy mod makes it go a Long time and with the retaining pin, it wont puke,,

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #28 - 08/25/20 at 17:49:34

I think Wild1OR is checked out and moved on.  Hopefully he'll get his LS650. Maybe he'l be back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 08/25/20 at 17:53:00

If he comes back I hope he brings a better attitude..
Or he will go scurrying off all butthurt over nothin again..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 14:48:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overweight Beginner on an S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.