Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Overweight Beginner on an S40? (Read 431 times)
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Overweight Beginner on an S40?
08/21/20 at 20:30:48

Hello, I'm a beginner rider that's 5'11" and 400 lbs. I'm working on losing weight and the need to post this question is one more reason. I wish to find a balance between a motorcycle with lower wet weight and cc for a beginner and higher weight capacity for my size.

I've been comparing specifications and learned that the Boulevard S40's wet weight is 381 lbs and the maximum weight capacity is 404 lbs. It seems the bike, especially with its appearance, checks the boxes if it'll adequately support me.

I've read online of heavy riders setting the suspension to 5 for maximum spring preload and riding without issue. I'm curious if my weight being at the maximum capacity, still makes it a viable option?

I appreciate in advance your comments.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Overweight Beginner on an S40?
Reply #1 - 08/21/20 at 21:14:47

We've seen some Big Hombres ride them. It'll DO it,,Suspension upgrades are out there and some of these guys can spout them off, I cant. There are forward controls out there to let you get your feet out farther,,
Im thinkin about a dirt bike,, cuz Im just Not gonna straight up exercise,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/21/20 at 21:33:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/20 at 21:14:47:
We've seen some Big Hombres ride them. It'll DO it,,Suspension upgrades are out there and some of these guys can spout them off, I cant. There are forward controls out there to let you get your feet out farther,,
Im thinkin about a dirt bike,, cuz Im just Not gonna straight up exercise,,

It appears that the stock foot position of the S40 is more comfortable than the Royal Enfield INT650 or Honda Rebel 500.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/21/20 at 22:57:23

Get ya one,, find a used one with low miles,,
Are you a mechanic at all?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/21/20 at 23:00:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/20 at 22:57:23:
Get ya one,, find a used one with low miles,,
Are you a mechanic at all?

I'm not a mechanic by any definition.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/21/20 at 23:37:03

Well,, You will be,, You wont be the first to get one and then get some tools,, Theres no regular maintenance that is difficult. It just requires planning and patience and a gentle touch,, so ya dont twist off bolts and strip threads..
Youll get all the years of experience on this forum made available.
Theres guys here who know stuff the mechanics at the dealership dont know,
Little things that make them work  longer, like a modification on the cam chain tensioner,,
Just remember its easier to go back and tighten something a bit more than to repair a problem created by breaking something,,
Ohh,, what am I saying? Youre only 5'11" and 400 pounds,, You probably cant twist a 6 mm bolt off,, right?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 08/22/20 at 00:22:39

If you can find a dealer who has one, go and sit on it, then you can start to judge. You mention beginner, do you have a full license?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 08/22/20 at 05:37:06

My weight has ben between 240 and 270 since I've owned this bike.  It totes my tushy around just fine.  It is easy to ride because it has so much torque.  It should do well for you. I think you'll fit the bike fine.

I will say, IMO, I think a standard bike with "normal" footpegs and handle bars are easier to learn on and ride.    I'm not a big fan of forward controls and I don't care for the slightly floppy nature of the front end of this bike with the stock drag bars that has been used on it for so long.  Just not as friendly at slow speeds as a "standard bike".

Since you are a beginner, I will tell you my golden rule for bike handling in general.  Head and shoulders in front of you hips at all times.  This position makes a huge difference in bike handling, especially in corners.

Be safe, have fun, and enjoy the ride!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/22/20 at 10:33:13

My friend Jerry was over 350lbs and he put 50,000 miles on a Savage.
He was lifelong motorcyclist and said the Savage was the most fun and easiest ride he ever had...

I think the Savage would be a great bike for you to start out on.
Best wishes on your weigh loss journey.  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 08/22/20 at 11:48:51

I should add as to not scare you off.  I ran a set of "Super Bars" on my bike for a while.  They are wider and a little lower than the stock bars.  They transformed the floppy front end into something more like a standard and made it much more enjoyable to at slow speeds.  I would recommend trying them if you are a beginner.  Really, anything wider will give you more control.  Once you're up to speed, the bike is stable no matter what bars you run.  I'm talking endorsement test type handling.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/22/20 at 16:34:16

Adding the Intruder shocks may help you as well.  They are a bit taller and have a bit more travel, and they are a bit stiffer than the stock shocks.

You can find good used ones on eBay - if you decide to get a Savage we can hook you up with the shock details to look for......it is posted somewhere on this forum.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/22/20 at 21:12:49

jcstokes wrote on 08/22/20 at 00:22:39:
If you can find a dealer who has one, go and sit on it, then you can start to judge. You mention beginner, do you have a full license?

My guess is that by full license, you mean an unrestricted motorcycle endorsement. If so, I don't have one yet, but will be taking the course to get it.

IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/22/20 at 21:17:35

ohiomoto wrote on 08/22/20 at 05:37:06:
I will say, IMO, I think a standard bike with "normal" footpegs and handle bars are easier to learn on and ride.    I'm not a big fan of forward controls and I don't care for the slightly floppy nature of the front end of this bike with the stock drag bars that has been used on it for so long.  Just not as friendly at slow speeds as a "standard bike".

It sounds like you don't like the Savage.  Smiley

ohiomoto wrote on 08/22/20 at 05:37:06:
Since you are a beginner, I will tell you my golden rule for bike handling in general.  Head and shoulders in front of you hips at all times.  This position makes a huge difference in bike handling, especially in corners.

The great advice is appreciated!

IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #13 - 08/22/20 at 21:18:33

Serowbot wrote on 08/22/20 at 10:33:13:
My friend Jerry was over 350lbs and he put 50,000 miles on a Savage.
He was lifelong motorcyclist and said the Savage was the most fun and easiest ride he ever had...

I think the Savage would be a great bike for you to start out on.
Best wishes on your weigh loss journey.  Cool

Thank you!

IP Logged
Wild1OR
YaBB Newbies

Whaddaya got?

Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/23/20 at 00:01:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/20 at 23:37:03:
Well,, You will be,, You wont be the first to get one and then get some tools,, Theres no regular maintenance that is difficult. It just requires planning and patience and a gentle touch,, so ya dont twist off bolts and strip threads..
Youll get all the years of experience on this forum made available.
Theres guys here who know stuff the mechanics at the dealership dont know,
Little things that make them work  longer, like a modification on the cam chain tensioner,,
Just remember its easier to go back and tighten something a bit more than to repair a problem created by breaking something,,
Ohh,, what am I saying? Youre only 5'11" and 400 pounds,, You probably cant twist a 6 mm bolt off,, right?

I read on a different forum about a retaining clip modification for the LS650 to prevent the cam chain tensioner from falling into the engine when it wears. It reminded me of the modification that you mentioned. Is it to what you're referring?

Is it something that affects certain model years and it was resolved at some point or is it all model years?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 06:28:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overweight Beginner on an S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.