Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 2 - Head (Read 306 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 2 - Head
Reply #15 - 07/19/20 at 23:17:13

To install the larger valves, the seats must be cut.  Neway valve cutters work well.  You end up with blisters.  It’s all hand work and it takes a lot of effort.  I do the port work before I do the seat work.  That way, I don’t run the risk of rat bites in a pristine seat.  I made some special laps that use abrasive paper.  They polish off any little burrs left by the carbide cutter.

Neway_Cutters__Laps_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 07/19/20 at 23:19:45

The finished product had 46°seats, 31° top cuts, 60° bottom cuts and 75° throat cuts. Bluing spots were perfect, and the valves didn’t leak a drop when I tested them.   I was satisfied with the finished product.  The port may not be pretty, but it flows darned good.

Intake_Seats_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 07/19/20 at 23:21:50

Now that the intake port was finished and the larger valves installed, it was time to see how it flows.  Prior to starting work on the head, I did baseline flow tests.  It matched the data I had previously taken on my other stock head.  I knew the flow bench was providing repeatable data.  
I also had the flow data from the Stage II head.  

So now, I could test the Stage III and see how things stack up.

The trusty flow bench has two full-size shop vacs (5.5 HP & 6.5 HP).  Even with that much power, the bench can barely keep up with this Stage III head.  It will pull 15” H2O (my standard test pressure) but there ain’t much reserve.

Tset_Rig_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 07/19/20 at 23:22:55

At max valve lift, the stage III does not flow quite as much as the stage II, but the average flow is significantly better.  I can’t explain why the max lift flow is less.  It will be interesting to see how it works.  On the surface, everything points to improved performance.  The flow is higher at almost every point on the curve….but that might be deceptive.

From another perspective, the Stage II curve tracks the stock curve at all the lower lifts (to about .200” lift).  Then the flow amps up.  That might be better.  It might help low rpm power delivery.  The flow bench can’t tell me that.  Only experience can.

The average flow on this Stage III intake is about 12% better than stock (136.5 vs 121.3) and 3% better than the Stage II (136.5 vs 132.4).  The green line says it all.

Intake_Comparison.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 07/19/20 at 23:24:28

Time to move on to the exhaust port.

The exhaust port has two grotesque impediments to flow.  An item I refer to as the “dipsy-doodle”, and a reduced outlet hole (only 1.3” diameter).  I can’t do anything about the dipsy-doodle.  It’s in the roof of the port (the critical flow area) and I have no way to fill it in.

The super-small outlet is another story.  I can fix that.  Here you see the stock 1.3” outlet with the dipsy-doodle lurking in the back.  The circular scribe line shows where this port is headed.  When complete, the outlet will be in the shape of a capital “D” laying on it’s side.  The Stage II head also uses a “D” shaped port, but it is only 1.5”.  I want to see what will happen when I open the port up all the way to 1.79”, which is the inside diameter of my Mac header pipe.

Stock_Exhaust_Outlet2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 07/19/20 at 23:25:20

The smallest cross sections in the exhaust port are right at the edges of the valve guide boss.  That can be improved a bit by rounding off the edge.  Seemed like putting a generous chamfer on the blunt guide should also help.  The chamfer didn’t yield any flow improvement but what the heck, gotta try.

Guide_Boss2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 07/19/20 at 23:26:07

Another problem is the left-hand exhaust runner.  The bridge in the center of the exhaust port forms a straight vertical wall.  I felt it would flow better if the runner were actually round.  It did flow better.  Here’s that flat vertical wall on the left-hand runner.

D_Shaped_Left_Runner2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 07/19/20 at 23:26:49

Might as well start by enlarging the outlet.  That will provide a little extra room to get at the rest of it.

Enlarged_Outlet_1_792.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 07/19/20 at 23:27:31

Now the 1.79” flow bench adapter mates nicely with the port.  The header pipe will too.

Adapt_Fitup_1_792.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 07/19/20 at 23:28:30

Of course, the seats had to be blended into the adjacent aluminum port.  I have no idea why the aluminum has these big circumferential undercuts, but there’s no way to get rid of them without enlarging the port more than I want to.  Just blend things in best as possible without enlarging the port.

Seat_Blending2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 07/19/20 at 23:29:20

Rounding off the guide bosses was a straightforward operation.  I didn’t get carried away.  I want to leave ample material to maintain the press fit between the cast iron guide and the aluminum boss (don’t want to relax the hoop stress by thinning out the wall of the boss).  Just round off the edge to open the cross section a bit; help the hot gas get past the boss.

Guide_Boss_Blending2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 07/19/20 at 23:30:03

I used my valve guide trimmer to apply a small chamfer on each guide.  Maintain a slight blunt tip, you don’t want a knife edge on this thing.

Guide_Chamfer2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 07/19/20 at 23:31:01

Then it was time to address the left-hand runner.  I worked on the bridge a bit to establish a round cross section.  Rounding the left-hand runner improved flow measurably on my test mule.

Round_Left_Runner2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 07/19/20 at 23:31:35

A 30° back-cut was applied to each valve.  It was ready to test.

Backcut_Exh_Vlv_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 07/19/20 at 23:32:27

As you can see, this is a vast improvement over the stock head, and a significant improvement over the Stage II head.  Question is, will the 97mm engine like this free-flowing exhaust port?  Will the port be lazy and kill low end torque?  Will it work well with my modified muffler or will the muffler simply negate any flow improvements I derive from the port?  The flow bench can’t answer those questions for me.  Just have to try it and see what I learn.

The average flow on the stage III exhaust port is 31% better than stock (125.7 vs 96.1) and 12% better than the Stage II (125.7 vs 112.0).

Exhaust_Comparison.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 22:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 2 - Head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.