Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear-Pulley vs Drive-Belt (Read 107 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Rear-Pulley vs Drive-Belt
06/12/20 at 07:22:51

Hello Fellow SAVAGES

So , I would think that in a WEAR contest between the Fiber Belt and the Aluminum Driven Pulley there would be a no contest WINNER .   Roll Eyes

and

I would be so wrong in that thinking.

My bike has had three speedometers on it - so with out looking up the numbers I'll say my bike has about 60,000 miles on it.    Yea for 60,000 ish miles the BELT and the REAR PULLEY have been fighting it out and now we apparently have a CLEAR WINNER .

The BELT still looks like new !  

Here is a picture of the PULLEY !

rear_pulley.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Rear-Pulley vs Drive-Belt
Reply #1 - 06/12/20 at 10:59:04

That is impressive MMR.  Doesn't look like any sort of skew problem either, uniform all the way across.  Perfect razor blades.  Can you post some more pictures from different angles.  Maybe some shots of the belt too.

Please tell us more about the setup.  Is it stock or have you installed Kawasaki pulley/s?

How about operating environment.  Do you ride in sandy conditions?

I've noticed quite a bit of scoring on my rear pulley.  It concerns me.  You certainly would expect the belt to be the sacrificial component.

Hey, shouldn't this be in RSD?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 06/12/20 at 19:43:24

Hey, shouldn't this be in RSD?

Heck ! I don't know , I haven't been off the Café in 3 years ???

The Belt looks new .  
The only habit I have that could be "BAD" , is :
Taking off from red lights by ... Bark the motor - drop the clutch - after the "Leap" running up to maybe 4000 rpm in first gear.   It makes me GRIN !  Smiley

I bought the bike with about 3K miles on it (maybe 6 years ago ?) I had a yellow one at first and the time line gets confusing .

Back to the pulley , Stew has sent the spare pulley he had so I'll put it on and wash the belt really good with a stiff nylon brush , soapy water , and lots of water.  

I might be good for another 60,000 miles ?   Huh

I think I might wash the belt more often now  Wink

two_pulleys.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/13/20 at 03:11:40

If you look at the replacement pulley, you will see that the top of the teeth on the pulley ride on the bottom of the teeth (grooves) of the rubber belt.  Your pulley teeth were so worn that the opposite was happening.

I think that grit (sand, gravel, dirt) has some involvement.  The grit does not slide on the rubber surface - but instead gets pushed/slid by the rubber across the hard surface of the aluminum.  The pulley when new has a hard anodizing on the surface, and once that is worn off I believe the pulley wears much faster.

When we were talking about this last weekend you had mentioned you used to spray the belt to stop the squeaking, and later on tapered the edge of the belt as Serowbot devised - maybe the spray was a bit sticky and held grit onto the belt and created a form of sandpaper....you created a 60 mph belt sander!  Once the teeth had warn enough to allow the belt to move forward/back under acceleration and compression braking - I suspect the wear increased dramatically.

I guess the thing to do is just replace the pulley and keep on riding!  Rear pulleys aren't hard to get and with 2 other motorcycles - I suspect the next 60,000 miles will take a while to accomplish.

I would check the belt/pulley fit by seeing if your belt teeth lock into the replacement pulley - there should not be any noticeable movement back and forth.....after 60,000 miles I would not be surprised if the belt has wear and has lost some of the material from the rubber teeth.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/13/20 at 06:37:29

I agree with Dave regarding dirt getting into the pulley.  I had an 86 that was essentially a dirt-bike and it had a pulley that wore opposite of standard wear like the one in the photo.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 06/13/20 at 13:34:26

Yep, it's those Hazzard County roads.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/18/20 at 17:48:50

Here is how the belt/pulley is supposed to work.

The belt sits on top of the pulley teeth and meshes with the belt teeth.  The belt teeth do not touch the bottom of the teeth on the pulley.

MM's wore the pulley teeth down, and then started to wear them out sideways!

PulleyBelt.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/18/20 at 20:12:34

I kinda wish he would ride it till it starts slippin,,
Got one hekkuva fine wall hanger, anyway..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/19/20 at 04:28:39

I ride in the dirt.. more that I should.  I have broken parts off the bike from doing that.
I have never seen a pulley wear down like that.

And, you think it had to happen between tire changes.. right?  Hard to miss that when you are changing a tire..

While the spray on stuff could be contributing, have to think maybe other factors as well?

Considering it IS MM.. jack rabbit starts have to be part of it...  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 06/19/20 at 11:38:11

That's a great picture Dave.  Really gives you the whole story on proper belt engagement.  Thanks.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 19:07:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear-Pulley vs Drive-Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.