Send Topic Print
Sparkplug question (Read 171 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Sparkplug question
06/11/20 at 05:50:56

I was a mechanic on a bike years ago and I was having a lot of trouble getting it to start easy on the stock spark plug. I had to use a lower heat range plug. It was jetted perfectly fine BTW.

Now My son's bike has one of those new fangled across the thing electrode etc - something VIX is the model of the plug - and since he's riding it in my yard and barely gets it warm enough - I think its fouling out rather easily and often.

Does that type of plug - I need to get its make/model number to post as well - but does it foul out easier ? And a lower heat range plug is a better option here ? Or any other ideas.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Sparkplug question
Reply #1 - 06/11/20 at 06:34:11

Some more info would be helpful. What kind of bike is it? What is the condition of the air filter? Are there any mods to the bike. What does riding in the back yard mean. Are we talking about a space that is 50’ x 100’, or 15 acres?  What is your son’s riding experience and style?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/11/20 at 06:42:28

Savage 98 model, kiddo has no experience except on a bicycle, its a 50' diameter circle around 3 trees. Basically the motor is on the verge of stalling all along and last time it ran, he forgot to take the choke off. In fact most of the time it is cold when he starts it, tepid when he rides it and barely warm when he gives up.

All stock bike with clean filter and no mods - not even pipe or lighteing or my favorite - drag bars.

Yea I really need to get it on the road and let it burn off those nasty carbon on everything. I'll do it Saturday I'm thinking. But on a longer term, I think I'll get a few of those colder plugs (the ones that burn off carbon sooner) on hand. Its likely I am gonna take one plug out and swap other one in and it would be better to clean and dry the spare and hold it for a swap.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 06/11/20 at 09:34:35

The Savage uses an NGK DPR8EA-9 standard spark plug. Nothing fancy about it.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/11/20 at 11:27:00

I think the one I swapped in a few yrs ago was a DPR7EA-9 - let me check into that series.
This bike has that VIX one - not any plug I have seen, that NGK is common on jap bikes, have had many with that same plug including my GS500's all 17 of em.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 06/11/20 at 11:30:57

The NGK plugs with an IX prefix are Iridium spark plugs. These are not required for our low output ignition and carburetor fuel delivery systems. You're never going to get a sparkplug last 100,000 miles on a Savage.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 06/11/20 at 11:45:38

Once you foul a plug ridding around with the enricher on, it's pretty hard to burn it clean by riding around in a 50 foot circle.  Just change the plug.

The DPR-7EA is one heat range hotter than the DPR-8EA.  The 7EA would be a better choice for cruising in the yard.  Once it goes back on the street probably best to install the 8EA.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 06/11/20 at 16:38:44

That 7 ea was what I used a few yrs ago, that bike was not a yard ridden bike - even on the street it was hard to start with the 8.
I took out the plug and cleaned it - and it fouled again without even starting.
But Let me get 7ea plug and keep the vix as a standby.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 06/11/20 at 16:51:26

From my dirt bike days we would always pack a bic lighter in tool kit & when the plug fouled we would dip it in the fuel , light it and burn the fuel off and put it back in.
I only run NGK or Denso plugs. Them fancy plugs are usually made to cover several heat ranges and I don’t use them. If your fouling plugs either your engine is worn out or you have carb issues. Don’t blame the spark plug.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/11/20 at 16:54:04

The bike got run for its previous time with choke on and it was run 3-5 mins at the verge of stalling. Never got hot enough to touch - cos its not been on the "road" in months.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 06/13/20 at 05:18:36

Sorry the plug is an E3.36 and I pulled it out and it was gas fouled. I cleaned it and it has no spark testing it outside.
I have to figure out why - and likely replace the plugs with the 7's.

BTW I did the spark plug door mod, in fact I removed the thing completely. The plug is still very hard to get to and remove. Does anyone have a wrench/trick combo to get it out easier.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/13/20 at 10:36:46

If you dont have the tool kit plug socket, its a booger.. You can get a lawnmower plug socket for next to nothing at Lowes..
And once its loose, a plug wire boot shoved on it will let ya spin it on out, and get a new one started.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/13/20 at 13:32:57

Correction,, HOme Depot,, They have a deep socket that has flats for a wrench,, Its a cheap, stamped steel thing,, They had boxes on a shelf in the lawnmower/weedeater department.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 06/13/20 at 16:36:04

I’ve never needed a special socket for the Savage. Just a regular spark plug socket with the cushioned insert. As for extensions, I find the 3” extensions with a u-joint between them allows me access without removing the tank.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 06/13/20 at 16:57:55

OK I think what I am missing is the tilting/swivel head ratchet of 19mm - Its here somewhere - OK let me find/buy it. Along with the sparkies.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:03:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sparkplug question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.