Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stock airbox VS open filters? (Read 172 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Stock airbox VS open filters?
05/14/20 at 20:01:02

I recently ordered a new OEM filter for Thumpy since the old one was looking raggedy. I remember reading in here somewhere that there's nothing to be gained ditching the airbox and swapping a pod or other open filter. Is that still the conventional wisdom now?

Is the airbox sufficient for the engine's performance range?
Or does ditching it help matters?

I ask because since reading that old posting I noticed many folks in here are running open filters with no airbox.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stock airbox VS open filters?
Reply #1 - 05/14/20 at 20:32:25

if you have a stock bike, it's designed to be balanced.
if you open up the muffler, you should do the same for the intake.
but it's going to require a rejet.
and if you drop the intake restriction, you'll have to swap the petcock for a raptorcock too.

WWW   IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 05/14/20 at 23:12:04

Search for the thread where DragBikeMike posted his airbox and filter tests, along with the mods he tried. The airbox is more than capable of flowing enough for a hotrod in the 40 plus HP range.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/15/20 at 10:15:19

A pod filter and rejet  can increase performance , IF it's done properly.  Placing the filter directly on the mouth of the carb isn't the way. The hose that runs between the stock carb and air box isn't there for looks, it's there to allow the air flow to straighten before entering the mouth of the carb. (and can be used as a basis for intake tuning)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 05/15/20 at 14:04:29

I'll try to find what DragBikeMike wrote about. Thanks.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 05/15/20 at 14:05:40

batman wrote on 05/15/20 at 10:15:19:
 A pod filter and rejet  can increase performance , IF it's done properly.  Placing the filter directly on the mouth of the carb isn't the way. The hose that runs between the stock carb and air box isn't there for looks, it's there to allow the air flow to straighten before entering the mouth of the carb. (and can be used as a basis for intake tuning)

How much of an increase are you talking about?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 05/15/20 at 14:50:42

Mike, this old post tests several modifications to the airbox.  It should give you some ideas for mods to your airbox.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1523302904

This old post tests all the pertinent filter elements.  I personally like K&N.  Been using them for 50 years or so.  Always worked great for me but they are expensive.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1543600189

This more recent post gives some details on setting up your airbox for a cylindrical filter.  It will work with just about ant cylindrical filter (K&N, UNI, etc.).  It allows retention of all the stock mounting for side covers and igniter box.  It's about as good as your gonna get for air flow.  Cheap too.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1583103640/0#12

I see you have a little more displacement plus a tad more compression along with a souped up bumpstick.  If you have improved your exhaust too, more airflow is in order.

Looks like your project is pretty close to blast off.  You certainly have plenty of stopping power.  Are you fixin for some high velocity operation?  Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 05/15/20 at 15:31:52

If you want to keep the stock air box but increase the air flow at higher RPM's drill a bunch of 1/2 inch holes in the air box cover. I Swiss cheesed the air box on my '02 which improved the top end air flow along with helping the mid range. It was a noticeable improvement over the entire power band and didn't affect the idle.
 One mod I'm thinking of is taking the side cover and hammering it into an air ram pushing air into the air box when at speed. That would take a bit of torch work and would be pretty ugly. My bike is slowly turning into a rat, LOL
 Of course pulling the stock air box and all the associated cr@p makes the bike look a lot better and removes a bit of weight.
 I'm also running a K+N stock air filter replacement.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 05/15/20 at 16:32:26

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/15/20 at 14:50:42:
Mike, this old post tests several modifications to the airbox.  It should give you some ideas for mods to your airbox.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1523302904

This old post tests all the pertinent filter elements.  I personally like K&N.  Been using them for 50 years or so.  Always worked great for me but they are expensive.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1543600189

This more recent post gives some details on setting up your airbox for a cylindrical filter.  It will work with just about ant cylindrical filter (K&N, UNI, etc.).  It allows retention of all the stock mounting for side covers and igniter box.  It's about as good as your gonna get for air flow.  Cheap too.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1583103640/0#12

I see you have a little more displacement plus a tad more compression along with a souped up bumpstick.  If you have improved your exhaust too, more airflow is in order.

Looks like your project is pretty close to blast off.  You certainly have plenty of stopping power.  Are you fixin for some high velocity operation?  Cool

Oh heck yeah. That was the reason for the desperate search for stoppers, so I can go faster  Grin
I did make a promise to make my bike safer before I made it any faster. Promise fulfilled. Learned some valuable lessons from riding the 110HP Ducati. I've got its stopping power now. I'll never get its hp from Thumpy but I'll see how far I'll get. 40 hp would be cool!

So in the near future I will be eyeballing intake and port mods.
Thank alot for taking the time to post all those links. I'll study up!
And try hard not to break or strip anymore bolts!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/15/20 at 21:06:39

Philthymike,  I run a stock motor from the bs40 carb to the exhaust header, the only custom part being a Stock H-D muffler and a tuned air intake . Speed when stock was 85mph=5678rpm it is now94=6279rpm having done several mods to the carb ,but still running 52.5/150 jets and E87 fuel @51.5 mpg. I don't think I need or want to get much more out of it . I don't run my bike at 94mph but it does 70 with a reserve for passing if needed. and I'm not paying higher fuel prices at the pump. Tuning your intake is the best bang for your buck , It is not gear dependent ,but rpm dependent which means you reap the boost even in lower gears and the rpm  depends only on the length of the intake you choose.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/16/20 at 03:37:38

I ran my bike with a 95mm Wiseco, ported head, dyna muffler and a performance cam.  I ran the bike for a year in that configuration withe the stock airbox and stock carb......it ran great!

While I was breaking the piston/cylinder in and didn't use a lot of throttle or high rpm.......I got mileage up into the 60's - later on it was in the middle 50's for normal rides.

The stock airbox is a good design for the stock engine - and even for a mildly modified engine.  It is quiet, keeps water out of the engine, and also functions to dispose of the engine breather air.  When you remove it and install a pod filter you now have a way that water can get into the engine when it rains or you wash the bike.

I would recommend that you keep the stock airbox if you can as it works well - it should not be one of the first performance mods you do....it should be one of the last.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/16/20 at 05:35:53

The simplest answer is that 99% of the time the stock airbox only be removed for looks or space.  And don't take that comment the wrong way.  I have the stock box on my bike, but I have another build waiting in the wings and I will probably remove the box purely for looks.  Smiley

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 05/16/20 at 17:34:11

I also run the stock( but slightly modified) air box even with my tuned intake for it's obvious advantages, I can run the stock breather hose and drain, and no water enters the carb because I use Oldfeller's air filter installed in the rear of box where it is protected from rain or washing the bike by being centered between the frame and above the rear fender.  the bike looks completely stock

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 05/16/20 at 17:40:40

batman wrote on 05/15/20 at 21:06:39:
Philthymike,  I run a stock motor from the bs40 carb to the exhaust header, the only custom part being a Stock H-D muffler and a tuned air intake . Speed when stock was 85mph=5678rpm it is now94=6279rpm having done several mods to the carb ,but still running 52.5/150 jets and E87 fuel @51.5 mpg. I don't think I need or want to get much more out of it . I don't run my bike at 94mph but it does 70 with a reserve for passing if needed. and I'm not paying higher fuel prices at the pump. Tuning your intake is the best bang for your buck , It is not gear dependent ,but rpm dependent which means you reap the boost even in lower gears and the rpm  depends only on the length of the intake you choose.

Hey Batman are the details of your tuned intake in this forum?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 05/16/20 at 20:38:25

Philthymike , sorry it's not and I'm not sure it would work in exactly the same way for anyone else . I have changed fenders , seat and shocks on the bike, full HD rear fender that is bolted to the lower 2 stock bolts but leans backward to lessen the height between the tire and fender caused by 11.5 progressive shocks and allow an HD seat to sit flat to the upper frame rails and conform perfectly to the curve of the 16" fender.  That allows the top of the air box gap to be greater and room for the filter to work in that area.
    The length of my intake from the intake valve to the 2" pvc    pipe extension I used in the stock hose was about 15"  but this should be your choice as the length determines the areas where the boost in EV occurs.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 02:24:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock airbox VS open filters?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.