Stone Guard ? (Read 72 times)
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Stone Guard ?
05/04/20 at 02:03:09

Some of my riding is done on gravel roads and plan to do a lot more
The front of the crank case and the front frame is showing the effects of this. I plan to make a stone guard of stainless steel mesh that I have to cover just these areas.

I have done a test on airflow with a fan and airspeed indicator and I find that this mesh reduces the airspeed by 50%
As the fins higher up will still be exposed to all the air that  is available I think that this should not be too much of a problem.
Comments on this would be welcome I am not keen on a mudflap on the front fender as it would have to be large to do what I want

Hiko   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Stone Guard ?
Reply #1 - 05/04/20 at 05:56:26

Have a look at Serowbots mud guard on the fender. YOu might get the protection youre after and maintain better airflow.

How is your belt doing? We've seen reports of gravel flying up on it, getting on the belt and caught by the pulley., poking holes in the belt..
Some shielding there might be a good plan

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 05/05/20 at 02:42:23

I have had stones go through the belt no real damage though as yet
The worst is the freshly tarred ones I just dont ride over them
Thinking about some sort of guard for it

I might have to extend the front guard I really did not want to drill it.

Hiko   IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 05/05/20 at 17:07:07

I dont think the skid plate will affect the cooling too much. Used these on dirtbikes for forever, water cooled or air cooled and never had a problem. Most just attach to the bottom frame rails and I bet you could find one that works for the LS650 if you didnt want to fab it yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dirtbike+skid+plate&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS729US729&...

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #4 - 05/06/20 at 20:06:58

Thanks spamy
I was leaning back that way Compared to those my effort will be lighter and let much more air through   I hope to do some back country touring some time in the future   The bike is not really suited to it with that wide belt but needs must.  The stone guard up front will only be a temporary fixture I am thinking.  Covering the belt would be much more difficult especially  with my wide tyre which I love as it has softened the ride a lot

Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 17:59:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stone Guard ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.