Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jetting super thumper (Read 155 times)
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

jetting super thumper
05/01/20 at 06:56:44

I have an 86 savage with a Wiseco 94mm high compression piston ,dr 650 cam, after market muffler (dont know what make it came already installed) I have opened up the exhaust port slightly and polished it.the air filter a large cone shaped one attached directly to the carb

I am at sea level and I use 98 octane fuel

its time to do the jetting I am wondering what size jets to order,apparently the stock jets for an 86 are main 155 pilot 47.5,I am thinking going bigger but I have not done this before.

if anybody with mods like mine could advise me I would be very grateful

many thanks Nick

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: jetting super thumper
Reply #1 - 05/01/20 at 12:44:57

You are pretty close to right. With the mods you have done, you will be a little on the lean side. You will likely have to go up one size on the pilot. The main is close, you may be okay with the 155. The only way to be sure is to take it for a test ride and check the plug. If it is showing signs of a lean mix then you know to richen it another step.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 05/01/20 at 13:57:14

Hey NickBillJim, you might want to consider putting a compound taper on your slide needle.  I had issues with lean-out at higher rpm.  It would occur during high-speed cruise (like going 75 to 80 on the freeway).  Go WOT and it would go back to about 12.5:1, but if I tried to just maintain about 4500 to 5000 rpm it would go waaaay lean.  If I didn't have an A/F meter I probably would not have known it was so lean.  

My setup is a bit different from yours.  I have a 1.79" ID header and my intake port is altered quite a bit, and my cam is more aggressive.  Those differences might mandate the compound taper, but as I recall, I had the high speed lean-out when I was running the DR cam too.

This post has the details.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1585461605

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/03/20 at 07:15:22

The real unknown may be your muffler ,if it's baffled (normal) you should be able to use jets close to stock ,if not you may need to increase jet sizes.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/04/20 at 03:06:54

I have been told Its a Voodoo slash cut

IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/04/20 at 03:16:19

checked my jets 55 pilot 155 main
when adjusting the mixture screw,I turn it clockwise and the engine cuts out  but I can turn the mixture screw 4 or 5 counter clockwise and the engine note stays the same do I need a bigger pilot jet ? if I do,do I have to put a bigger main jet as well
thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/04/20 at 06:16:13

When youre messin with that screw you need to adjust the idle down below recommended RPM.
Probably be best to prop the bike up as close to vertical as is safe, to keep oil on the right end of the cam.
Let one of the gurus give you a clue as to how low,, IDK..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 05/04/20 at 19:13:41

NBJ, on the stock carburetor, the idle mixture screw is a fuel screw. Counter-clockwise (CCW) rotation adds more fuel, clockwise (CW) rotation decreases fuel.  When your pilot jet is the correct size, the air screw should be about 1-1/2 turns at best idle.  

If it ends up more than 2 turns or less than 1 turn you probably should adjust the size of your pilot jet.  If its less than 1 turn you need a smaller pilot jet, if its more than 2 turns you need a bigger pilot jet.

Anything past about 2-1/2 turns the mixture screw really doesn't admit any more fuel, it is ineffective past about 2-1/2 turns.

In summary, clockwise (CW) makes the idle mixture leaner, counter-clockwise (CCW) makes the idle mixture richer.  Final setting for best idle should be between 1 to 2 turns out from lightly seated.

Never apply anything more than a light rotational force to seat the screw.  You can break the carburetor if you force the mixture screw hard in the CW direction.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/05/20 at 01:36:19

thanks, thats clear and  informative,  now I get it,I need a bigger pilot jet
many thanks

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 05/05/20 at 14:53:07

NBJ, seems to me 55 is already on the big side.  Follow what JOG recommended to establish the best idle mixture screw position.  Get the engine fully warmed up (like at least 15 minutes of riding).  Set the idle speed as low as reasonably achievable.  Then adjust the mixture screw to get the best idle (smoothest, fastest, etc.).

Once you have the mix screw set to best achievable idle, shut the engine down and check to see where the mix screw is set (how many turns off the seat).  That should give you a good indication of where you stand with the pilot jet (too small or too big or just right).

When you attempt to set your idle mixture, if the idle speed is set too high fuel starts to get pulled up through the main circuit and you don't get a true idle mixture setting.  You want the idle speed as low as reasonably achievable when you adjust idle mixture.  That way, the subtle changes in speed and smoothness are much easier to detect, and you also don't have the main circuit interfering with your setting.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/05/20 at 16:36:49

When you finish the adjustment the mix screw should be somewhere between 21/2   and 1 turn out , less than a turn your pilot is to large, greater than 2 1/2 it's to small , greater than  3  and the screw can become to loose and fall out of the carb.
   You'll also need to check out
the "white spacer mod" that adjusts the slide needle height (mid range rpm) . you did say your at sea level.
   But if the muffler is loud and un baffled you'll have a bad time jetting and mileage as well.

IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/07/20 at 02:34:44

it seems to be running well now
55 pilot
160 main
mixture screw 1.75 turns out
no spacer at all
I went for a test ride I hit 60mph in second gear 80 in third then ran out of road
there is no backfiring
I ran the same set up but with a 155
main
I got 53 miles per U K gallon.The 160 main jet definitely pulls harder at higher revs but I am worried about M P G
thanks for all your help,this is the most fun bike I ever had

IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/07/20 at 02:45:50

just thought I nave a 140/90/15 Tyre on the rear so those speeds may not be correct

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 05/07/20 at 11:52:01

NBJ , A 140/90/15 tire is about 4.5% larger around than the stock tire, but our speedometers are also known to read low.  
 An Imp. gallon is 20% greater than a US gallon,  A stock Savage might get around 55mpg -US ,that would only be 42.4 mpg with your bike over here, or about 33% less ,that's a pretty big hit.  Your mileage should be 65+ rather than 53.  I'd advise you  to at least replace the spacer  by 50% that's normal for elevation at sea level. You could also check your sparkplug ,read up on how to test it ,and what you should be seeing when you pull it.

« Last Edit: 05/07/20 at 12:53:43 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:33:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › jetting super thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.