Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hard tail struts, safe? (Read 140 times)
FunTimes54
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hard tail struts, safe?
03/30/20 at 19:24:13

hello. I ride a 2005 s40 boulevard. Over winter I have put it through quite a bit of changes including building some hard tail struts. I went ahead and welded in an additional pipe 1” diameter 10 or 12 gauge between the swing arm and the frame for extra support. My question is how strong are the bolts that held the bottom of the shocks on. I used the stock bolts but fear them shearing off when riding. I do not think this is likely but thought I would see if anyone else has any experience here. I have added some photos of how I have the struts set up. Thank you in advance for any help. I know I have seen some info on this and it may have been covered somewhere so if I am repeating something I apologize in advance.

B5F2B4BD-409B-4B12-AF63-A8FEB5040137.jpeg
  IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Re: Hard tail struts, safe?
Reply #1 - 03/30/20 at 20:09:33

Fun Times, I think that with your extra support you should be ok. The struts take much more impact than the shocks ever would, but hard tail frames aren't any heavier built. I would like to see pictures of the whole bike. What I can see has my curiosity going. Jeff

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
FunTimes54
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/30/20 at 20:37:01

No problem. I have a picture attached. Thank you for the info!

8D4E39D6-72B4-4058-8C2B-D52758CF9991.jpeg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 03/31/20 at 06:07:04

I had a Vulcan 750 that was "strutted" out. It started to bend the lower shock peg. I put shocks back on it.
The shocks dissipate impact energy over their travel. The longer the travel larger the denominator of force/distance is and hence the lighter the loads on all related parts are. With a solid rod you're looking at near 0 distance - its not true 0 because steel has a Young's modulus - stress/strain - so it travels - but its of the order of microns not inches.
I would think it would beat itself up. Now the seat has springs, so you've taken a part of the loading from being unsprung to sprung. I however still don't think it would stand up to hard use. But most of the time these are light use show bikes, for that it would be fine.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
FunTimes54
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/31/20 at 06:27:38

Srinath, thank you for the info. Did you have any additional bracing on your Vulcan to keep the swing arm from moving? This is why I added the additional pipe between swing arm and frame so that the bike wouldn’t be able to fold up and would take a lot of the impact off the bolts, and in theory absorb it in the frame tubing. Just wondering if that extra will keep the bolts from bending.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/31/20 at 08:15:16

FunTimes54 wrote on 03/31/20 at 06:27:38:
Srinath, thank you for the info. Did you have any additional bracing on your Vulcan to keep the swing arm from moving? This is why I added the additional pipe between swing arm and frame so that the bike wouldn’t be able to fold up and would take a lot of the impact off the bolts, and in theory absorb it in the frame tubing. Just wondering if that extra will keep the bolts from bending.

More rigid isn't the answer. You've got more structural pieces so if one starts to crack you have a couple others as backup to get home. Savage is lighter than a Vulcan, your seat is sprung, mine wasn't, and I beat on my bikes relentlessly. You likely are a lot gentler. That paint job and all the fabbed parts tell me you aren't a "ride hard and put away wet" guy. I am. So you would be not running into any problems like mine I'm sure, lots of people strut these bikes out. Only a complete Idjit would do that to a Vulcan - that too one that was all stock otherwise LOL. I got it that way, and put shocks I had lying around from an eliminator (same shock) with a blown motor.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 03/31/20 at 10:00:21

Please tell me that passenger seat (hard to see) is just for looks. That would vastly improve your tendency to break - if the seat is just for looks. Don't be putting on a 300lb passenger on there and running down a bumpy road.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
FunTimes54
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/31/20 at 16:01:26

I ended up building a rounded piece out of 3/8 solid round and bending it to fit under the fender. I lathed out some round fittings and tapped them so I could run bolts through to the underside of the fender.  I had to drill some new holes and welded in some nuts.  After doing this I built the seat to fit the stock fender and then built the tail light mount, in retrospect would have been easier to just get a new trailer fender or something like others have and modded it.  All this being said the point was to stiffen the fender and put support under the seat so someone could sit there if necessary.  I don't have passengers too often and if I do it is just to get from a to b not any serious riding.  That seat is STIFF and has minimal cushion so it is out of necessity not practicality.  I was going for the 60's cut down triumph kind of look.  I thought it would be cool with the bike having the single so I wanted that fender seat and the high sitting springer.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 03/31/20 at 17:25:34

Again - rigid is your enemy. If you dissipate a bump's energy over 1", that's cool for all the thin stuff you have bolted to the "shock". Dissipate it over 1/1000th of that and you can see why the loads will be 1000X as much.

Energy = force X distance. Since energy loss from hitting a bump is the same, you dissipate it over 1" like the stock shock does, all the parts get 1/1000th of where you try to dissipate it over 1 thou.

Harder and more rigid will let it run longer before it shatters when you it
that mondo bump. Softer and more flexible will let it wallow and wiggle over the same bump and feel like you're riding a bowl of jello for a few seconds and keep going like nothing happened.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/02/20 at 07:04:24

The sway of tall buildings is designed In, because rigidity is fatal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 04/02/20 at 10:46:15

The lack of compliance in the swingarm may result in failures in the frame. After all, the frame has been designed with tubing and welds that assume a functioning suspension. Somethings got to give.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/02/20 at 11:10:53

True. But, springing the seat, big balloon tires, lightening of the rear like that heavy A$$ fender and sissy bar elimination plus the fact a passenger wont be on it all alleviate the problem a lot in case of the savage.
My Vulcan didn't have any of those working for it. The fool just removed the rear shocks and put steel rods. I bought it in the darkness, the bent shock mount was actually visibly crooked.
Any case, it is a theoretical concern for sure, on a lightened single seat bobber that is more show than go would never have a problem.

Engineering is about compromise. But the fact is, energy is dissipated by the countering forces in the shock over the travel distance. 1/2 the travel and the force doubles. You're dealing with 1/10 or less travel, accordingly you need to lessen the energy (lightning etc) or strengthen to take 10X the force - or some combination of both.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
FunTimes54
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/02/20 at 11:26:29

Thank you all for the input.  I found another post on here about struts from years ago and one member added that the top member of the frame on the left side where the strut or shock bolts in actually cracked, the bolting member on the bottom never bent but the frame cracked on top.  With this being said do you think that the lower shock mounting bolts are stronger than the frame itself?  This would be ideal in my situation because all I fear is shearing a bolt and dumping the back into a sudden death crash.  If something would bend or crack in the frame to give me warning and I could limp home I have no fears of wrecking.  Also, being as I have welded the support in would most if not all the pressure be going into the frame since the swing arm is now unable to move up or down taking all the pressure off the mounting bolts?  I called around to some shops before strutting and most seemed to say this would be no problem.  One shop claimed those shock mounting bolts are built for air craft?  I don't ride extremely hard or far.  I may do 50-100 miles a week in summer.  All highway or back road travel 70 max most of the time.  I like the way it rides the hard tail doesn't bother me I just want to ride in peace knowing I wont be splattered on the road at any second which takes all the fun out of riding in the first place.  It seems since they sell these struts for sportsters and what not they must have been tested?  But then again I could be wrong.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 04/02/20 at 11:48:04

I'm sure the struts would look fine after the crash, but the broken frame will lead the investigating team to the likely failed component.

I've never built a hardtail, and quite frankly have little interest in ever riding one, but if I was going to undertake such a conversion, I would learn all I could about how the upper and lower mounting points are designed and built, and I would look for a fastener that could handle the calculated amount of sheer. You have calculated that figure, right? I wouldn't want to guess at that figure.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 04/02/20 at 11:55:08

FunTimes54 wrote on 04/02/20 at 11:26:29:
Thank you all for the input.  I found another post on here about struts from years ago and one member added that the top member of the frame on the left side where the strut or shock bolts in actually cracked, the bolting member on the bottom never bent but the frame cracked on top.  With this being said do you think that the lower shock mounting bolts are stronger than the frame itself?  This would be ideal in my situation because all I fear is shearing a bolt and dumping the back into a sudden death crash.  If something would bend or crack in the frame to give me warning and I could limp home I have no fears of wrecking.  Also, being as I have welded the support in would most if not all the pressure be going into the frame since the swing arm is now unable to move up or down taking all the pressure off the mounting bolts?  I called around to some shops before strutting and most seemed to say this would be no problem.  One shop claimed those shock mounting bolts are built for air craft?  I don't ride extremely hard or far.  I may do 50-100 miles a week in summer.  All highway or back road travel 70 max most of the time.  I like the way it rides the hard tail doesn't bother me I just want to ride in peace knowing I wont be splattered on the road at any second which takes all the fun out of riding in the first place.  It seems since they sell these struts for sportsters and what not they must have been tested?  But then again I could be wrong.

Yea that part is wide wide off the frame to clear the pulley. That's my first danger spot. And near impossible to brace/fix IMHO without it looking like a piece of CCCrap.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 00:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard tail struts, safe?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.