Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nice looking Yamaha V-Star (Read 137 times)
DesertCat

Nice looking Yamaha V-Star
01/31/20 at 05:50:38

Up front . . . I'm not a fan of the Yamaha V-Stars.  Never liked their looks.  But I've known people who swear by them.

Anyhow, I came across this heavily modified 1999 V-Star 1100 for sale and I think it's the best looking V-Star I've ever seen . . .

NOTE:  I'm not interested in purchasing this bike.  Just wanted to see what you all thought of it . . .
« Last Edit: 01/31/20 at 14:40:04 by DesertCat »  

1999-yamaha-vstar.jpg
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Re: Nice looking Yamaha V-Star
Reply #1 - 01/31/20 at 05:53:17

Another pic . . .

1999-yamaha-vstar2.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/31/20 at 07:38:26

I rode with a guy on a 650 or whatever their smaller bike is..  It was a drag. He couldn't even almost keep up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 01/31/20 at 13:01:23

The V-Star 650 was the bike I decided on when I first decided to buy a cruiser. I always liked the look of them. But the first time I sat on one I just said "Nah". It felt wide, big and heavy. I also sat on the Vulcan 500 ... "Nah". I then sat on the S40. And it felt spot on!.

However, that is a good looking V-Star! The seat looks great.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #4 - 01/31/20 at 13:06:12

The 1999 1100 V-Star in this thread is heavily modified.  Slimmed down it looks to me, so it may be lighter than a stocker.  The stock 1999 1100 V-Star weighs in at something like 610 lbs.  That's about right for most of the 1100cc v-twin cruisers. My 1200cc H-D Sportsters were lighter than that --  only weighed about 560 lbs.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 01/31/20 at 13:17:28

I thought a 1100 had twin disks in front.
That V-star has seat and some clean up not many mods - but I like it. Sometimes less is better. Maybe they have my philosophy - mod something huge - like put a 1100 motor in a 650 chassis and no one should notice, small mod like pipe and everyone should notice.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #6 - 01/31/20 at 13:20:26

srinath wrote on 01/31/20 at 13:17:28:
I thought a 1100 had twin disks in front.

============================

I think it has an H-D front end, with a 21-inch wheel.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 01/31/20 at 13:45:49

Oh OK. Makes sense, but gotta make sure that BS aint a 650. But yea big skinny wheel, not short fat wheel like v-stars have, LOL
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #8 - 01/31/20 at 14:01:41

For those interested . . . I contacted the seller and this is his response to my query about mods:

"We installed a full Cobra slash cut exhaust, removed the restrictive air box completely and went to K&N air pods, AIS system completely removed, carburetors were meticulously tuned for hours until perfect, the throttle response is instant and it pulls like a freight train all the way to red line.  The stock 18" front wheel was replaced by a brand new Harley 21" front wheel. Makes the front end look way better.  Has a $500 Corbin Seat on it. LED integrated rear brake light.  $300 oil filter relocation kit installed. Progressive fork springs.  New Metzler tires installed. "

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 01/31/20 at 14:18:16

Corbin, Harley wheel and that K&N and whatever is worth negative IMHO.
That is a 1100 ?? Make sure cos if it was just a Harley wheel and not the whole FE, where is the caliper mount lug on the fork leg ????
And,
Watch for those rear cyl spark plug being cross threaded - very very common due to the frame and engine mount bolts getting in the way of the spark plug wrench.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #10 - 01/31/20 at 14:21:52

I ain't buying it.  I just thought it was a nice looking V-Star, which I'm generally not fond of.   I was just curious what you all thought about the V-Stars . . .

Four things keep me from buying it:  (1) It's a cruiser, (2) it's too far away from where I live, (3) it's too heavy, (4) it's too loud, I'm sure.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 01/31/20 at 14:36:28

I'd be wary of the fuel filter relocation too. Modifying the oil passage/flow sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 01/31/20 at 18:11:06

12 hours to tune the carbs, kind of tells you those K&N cones directly on the carbs are a mistake , but it's better than the knee buster stock air filter that Yamaha hung there.  What kills it for me is that "beaver tail" finish on the rear fender , I'd have to cut that off and put a sportster taillight on the fender . If your going to clean the bike up,  that would have to go! If your going to a 21" front wheel maybe you should go to a 21" front fender ,that one is setting way to close to the tire, hope it doesn't pick of a stone! Reviewers said the buzzing started in the pegs and grips at slower speed and progressed to the seat at higher speeds , reason for the new saddle? It's so nice he's selling it , might just be another remuddled bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 01/31/20 at 19:19:37

@Batman, you've got a keen eye! This isn't the first time I've been admiring a bike and then you go and point out something I didn't see, but then can't unsee - the fenders  Shocked

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 01/31/20 at 23:25:51

I don't like to really pick things apart but I do like to look at a bike as a whole . He brags about the tail light being an led all in one,  brake light-turn signals ,but look at the front turn signals . What did he do there ? nothing! their stock , huge , and hideous . He's spent big bucks on a 21 inch front wheel ,seat, rear lights , and a $100 on cone filters but can't  buy a couple of led turn signals for the front ?  Give me a break!The point where he thinks he's done , is the point I'd have to start.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 03:52:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Nice looking Yamaha V-Star

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.