Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM vs Stock Carb, Advantages/Disadvantages (Read 400 times)
d3adrock

Re: Mikuni VM vs Stock Carb, Advantages/Disadvanta
Reply #15 - 12/26/19 at 13:44:19

I've been trying to buy from lancer for about a week now, havent heard from him yet. Wider power band sounds like something i would want, im not sure if i want smooth acceleration or fast throttle response. What does that feel like comparitively.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 12/26/19 at 17:52:14

d3adrock wrote on 12/26/19 at 12:47:54:
Mostly i was thinking it would give me more power in the low range, however that might be mistaken.

If you want more power and throttle response in the low range (say 4,000 rpm and below) then a carb with a SMALLER throat is what you want.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 12/27/19 at 06:25:26

You can get faster throttle response from the stock  CV carb as well, both DBM and I have done it ,I increased the size of the vacuum ports( the two tiny holes in the base of the slide) ever so slightly , that allows the vacuum above the diaphragm to build/ recede faster, lessoning the delay , DBM 's  answer was to drill a third hole and that's a better way ,because if you drill the third port to large , and find that it reacts to fast (a lot of backfires if the slide drops to fast) you can plug it with a screw and return the carb to stock, or you may be able to make adjustments to the TEV valve.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 12/27/19 at 06:36:15

Oh on the GS500 we have the opposite problem, especially when you put K&N and pipe on, slide rise too fast. We plug 1 of those holes and some jet kits even constrict the other one.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #19 - 12/27/19 at 07:34:00

So if i am undderstanding correctly, there is little power increase, but an increase in responsivenes? Aside from reliability i was hoping for some more power. In regards to the fast response, would that increase the popping on slowing down? I have a tendency to slam the throttle shut when stopping abrubtly (which i like to do quite often) would the vm carb be bad for that?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 12/27/19 at 08:38:13

Yes ,with the VM you need learn to roll the throttle on and off ,and may not even be able to close it fully  until the motor drops down to idle speed,  to prevent backfire.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #21 - 12/27/19 at 09:02:47

Thanks for the info, forgive my noob like motorcycling skills, but if thats the case how do i come to a quick stop?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 12/27/19 at 09:34:28

I can compress the clutch and stop with the throttle fully engaged by using the foot brake so I'm not sure what your question is.

By "quick" stop do you mean emergency stopping?  If that's the case I could care less what my exhaust does since I'm concerned about saving my life.

Or are you saying your riding style is one where you like to stop in as short of space as possible? (not recommended by the way)

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #23 - 12/27/19 at 09:40:15

I always use both breaks when stopping (except in a turn), and i'm probably saying that my riding style is such that I like to stop in as short a space as possible. Why is that not recommended? It's allot of fun!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 12/27/19 at 09:45:02

Nor is tailgating , leaving   a few car lengths between you and the car in front of you tends to make the car behind you think like wise.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #25 - 12/27/19 at 09:50:55

Well, i definitely dont tailgate, and i dont brake hard when theres others on the road, i understand the safety dangers of stopping hard in traffic, but i meant more so in general. Im probably exposing my ignorance here but do most people not stop as quick as they (safely) can? And if so, how do you do that with out using the front brake?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 12/27/19 at 10:12:00

"Why is that not recommended? It's allot of fun! "

Its unsafe to drive a vehicle of any kind at speed and slam on the brakes to use as little space as possible to go from travel speed to no speed.

To me the term "in as short of space as possible" means using as little road space as possible, which can be confusing to other motorists.  

This means you are either getting as close as possible to another vehicle before hitting the brake, which is very unsafe.  Or slamming the brake to stop as short as possible, then moving forward again to get into the appropriate spacing for traffic.  Or you are just slamming the brakes and sitting 4 or 5 car lengths back at a stoplight.

This must just be a terminology difference between us.  I do not always try to stop as fast as I safely can, I regularly coast to a stop, or engine brake etc.

I think you may just have to make a compromise between your riding style and they type of carb you want, but I'm no expert on carbs for sure.

If you go with VM to get more efficient throttle response and also want to let up on the throttle immediately to 0% then you will most likely experience popping, I do on all my bikes.  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 12/27/19 at 15:56:30

It would be good to know if your carburetor is completely stock, or if it has been modified in any way.  Are all the jets original?  Is the brass plug still in place over the idle mixture screw?  Has the needle in the slide been repositioned?

If the carburetor is completely stock, and no re-jetting has been accomplished, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better the engine runs after doing the mods found on this forum.  Readjusting the idle mixture and raising the slide needle a bit work wonders.  It’s like a completely different motorcycle, and it's free.  Cool

However, if you are anything like me, once you live with the re-jetted carburetor you will find yourself wanting some more steam.  The VM flows more air, and more air means you can add more fuel.  More air + more fuel = more power.

Why don’t you order the VM from Lancer?  It’s a complete kit and hassle free. The 36mm will flow about 8% better than the stock carb.  While you are waiting for the kit to arrive, you can go through the stock carburetor and learn a whole bunch.  It will be informative and fun.  Take lots of notes and pictures.

Live with the re-jetted stock carb for a while.  Compliment your souped-up carb with a bit more airflow by modifying your airbox.   Then, when you are confident that you have the carburetor & airbox optimized, install the VM.  That way, you will have first-hand knowledge on the merits of both mixers.

Do a nice report that covers all the ins & outs of the project and provides your perspective.  It won’t cost anything to tune-up the stock carb and modify the airbox.  It will be very gratifying to see how much you improve the performance.  Installing the VM will give you a nice kick.  You won’t be disappointed.  When you are all done, your post will be most appreciated.  You will feel like a million bucks.

Rutly, I’m both flattered and embarrassed.  This forum is loaded with expert members (including yourself) who all contribute top-notch advice.  I am far from the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #28 - 12/27/19 at 16:10:33

Thank you for your advice, i really appreciate it. My carb is tottally stock as far as i can tell except it doesnt have the brass plug, and i messed with it and the idle screw, to stop it from dying while i was on the road. I plan to buy one form lancer as soon as i hear from him. Just incase i missed it, is there a thread with instructions (perhaps even pictures) on how to rejet, it will be the first time ive rejet my own carb and am a little nervous, is it the sortof thing a newbie can do? I already have the jets. Right now Im on the search for comparison of others who have made the switch. If/when i do it i will certainly post my experiences here!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 12/27/19 at 19:01:52

It's called the Sudco tuning manual. I got mine with my carb , not sure if they still come with it , but they are easy to get.Ask Lancer about it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:21:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM vs Stock Carb, Advantages/Disadvantages

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.