Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM vs Stock Carb, Advantages/Disadvantages (Read 400 times)
d3adrock

Mikuni VM vs Stock Carb, Advantages/Disadvantages
12/26/19 at 06:56:19

Hi, I'm currently debating whether I should rejet my current carb or get the mikuni vm preformance carb, with the thunder products upgrade parts, like the UFO, (don't want the dialajet since it seems slightly delicate) However I don't really understand the advantages that the vm makes over the stock. Obviously I want as much power as possible, but my main concerns are, realiability, durability, and longevity, followed by power, in that order.  What advantages would the vm offer in those regards?  I understand one is CV and the other is mechanical meaning the cable conects directly to the slide as opposed to a butterfly, however I still dont understand what the means in regards to power, feel, and all the other categories. Thanks for all your help!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Mikuni VM vs Stock Carb, Advantages/Disadvanta
Reply #1 - 12/26/19 at 07:34:38

The main difference is in throttle response. The CV relies on vacuum to raise the slide so there will be a slight time lag from the instant that you twist the grip until the slide starts to raise. That will make the VM feel like it is making more power than the CV carb does just because it reacts quicker. The CV carb can be tuned to lessen that lag time, but there will always be some amount of lag compared to the mechanical VM.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #2 - 12/26/19 at 07:53:09

Does that make it more likely to be flooded or is the difference not that extreme?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 12/26/19 at 07:54:53

Lancer would be the man to ask on that one, he knows the VM quite well.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #4 - 12/26/19 at 08:00:31

I tried messaging him but didnt hear back, probably due to the holidays. In the meantime I thought I'd open the question to the greater forum!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 12/26/19 at 08:08:08

Another variable is what mods have you done to your engine, and what mods are you planning down the road. If you are staying stock or near stock, I would stick with the CV myself as it performs well enough in that instance. If you go with a ported head, better exhaust, hot cam, bigger bore, etc then the VM would show an advantage over the CV.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #6 - 12/26/19 at 08:10:07

I upgraded to a delkevic exhaust, and it's running very lean now which is why i'm in a bit of a hurry to figure out my carb situation before it gets much yellower. Also side question? can you rejet the carb without taking it out? Is it difficult?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #7 - 12/26/19 at 08:25:08

Okay, get your jetting dialed in first. You can change the jets without removing the carb. If you loosen the clamps holding the carb you can rotate it to gain access to the float bowl screws. While you are at it, if you haven't done so already, raise the needle too. Search for the white spacer mod on the forum and you will find what you need for that. Usually two or three  #4 washers to replace the white spacer will do the trick. If you order Lancer's jet kit it comes with  (I think 3) pilot jets, main jets, and the #4 washers.

Getting the overly lean factory emissions jetting dialed in to something better suited for performance makes a huge difference. You will like the change in performance that makes even on a stock bike.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 12/26/19 at 09:40:49

DragBikeMike made a thread on the various carbs used on the LS650, complete with dyno pulls. He includes his thoughts and opinion as well as hard data.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #9 - 12/26/19 at 10:59:58

Cool, just finished reading it, as cool as an s&s carb would be I think thats a little too much for me. From a purely reliability/durability standpoint would a stock cv be better than a vm? or would the vm be better because it has less parts?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 12/26/19 at 11:18:28

On a stock or nearly stock engine the OEM carb is fine. In fact, it suits the character of a cruiser well. It’s when you’re no longer riding the bike like a cruiser, and/or when you are demanding more from the engine, when you may benefit from a different carb. At WOT, it really doesn’t matter. Fast throttle transitions will benefit from a cable actuated slide. Dirt bikes and track bikes are two types of bikes (and styles of riding) where I think a cable actuated slide are necessary. If you need the last fractional horsepower from your Savage, I’d strongly consider a carb upgrade.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 12/26/19 at 12:30:25

It doesn't seem to me to make sense to spend money on a new carb ,when you could do the spacer mod ,and replace your main jet with one slightly larger (150 main is a good all around jet ) at a cost of about $15 , that would solve your problems. I would invest in J.I.S. (Japanese Industrial Standard ) screwdrivers to avoid stripping the screws on the carb .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #12 - 12/26/19 at 12:47:54

My thinking was that if i was gonna go through the trouble of adjusting the current carb, I might as well upgrade the carb for better performance, however, the more i read the more it seems unnecesarry for my needs. I don't necesarrily want a super choppy throttle, as my throttle control isnt the best. Mostly i was thinking it would give me more power in the low range, however that might be mistaken.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 12/26/19 at 13:08:16

I think either carb won't effect your low range power ,doing the spacer mod will increase it ,again with ether carb. A weaker low range is usually effected more by a change to a higher performance cam ,as they raise the torque peak to a higher rpm.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 12/26/19 at 13:16:33

Here's my 2 cents worth. DBM is the most extreme/educated/creative
R & D  guy around. We all have something to learn from him. The stock carb is good and is quite smooth , with some rejetting and a pod filter is the cheapest way to go. My R & D style is all by feel with almost no record keeping. Build it , tune it , ride the crap out of it. The Mikuni 36 VM is a super simple highly effective carb. The one I got from Lancer came prejetted and it was perfect,after providing him with all the needed info.
VM will give you instant throttle response and feels like it increases the width of the power band as well. Parts are easily available. Super easy to install and tune/jet and also has some upgrades too. If you like smooth acceleration stick with the stocker , if you want some $hit n git buy the VM kit from Lancer. It's my first choice for a replacement carb and been using them for 40 years.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM vs Stock Carb, Advantages/Disadvantages

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.