Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My footpeg bolt fell inside? (Read 88 times)
J cooley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My footpeg bolt fell inside?
11/19/19 at 20:09:54

Hey all, got a strange one... I was going to replace my clutch plates on my 2012 s40. Took off the right foot peg nuts and the bottom bolt that I assume is double threaded slid into its housing? I don't know if this has my worried for no reason but it seems very strange that it moves at all. Anyway, can't find a magnet to retrieve it. Any Ideas?

Also, I apologize to begin with but... The Clutch basket removal... I read the thread Im supposed to and very confused, when I am turning the nut it doesn't spin any gears, so I'm confused how the nickel jamming into the gear thing works... When I crank on the nut it just moves my back tire. I tried to find the answer fellas but i couldn't, excuse the newb...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: My footpeg bolt fell inside?
Reply #1 - 11/19/19 at 20:21:38

Yes ,reach around to the other side of the bike and push the bolt back in. both of the bolts that hold the peg plates run through the motor from one side to the other ,when you remount the pegs again these two should be torqued( you'll need a wrench on both sides) as they also hold the center cases together and if not tight the case seam can leak when the bike is running. the bolt slid back because the bike is leaning on the side stand.
    When you try to loosen the nut ,doesn't the clutch basket move? this is the movement your trying to stop.    If you look down below the cam chain tensioner  ,there are two gears that nearly touch ,one being the gear on the basket .this is where you need to place the nickel ( but a piece of alum. would be better as it is softer than the gears and not tend to damage their teeth) the "shim" needs to be placed above or below  these gear teeth to jam them ,  depending on if your loosening, or tightening the nut.
   You should invest in a Clymer book ,the money is well worth it.

« Last Edit: 11/27/19 at 07:24:55 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
J cooley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/19/19 at 20:54:57

I feel as if I'm missing something. The basket does move yes, but when it moves there are no gears that move with it. Both gears to the front of the basket are staying still.

I feel stupid about that bolt. I looked on the other side thinking that it must have just slipped and was in a rush and didn't see it. (I was also working on it when the sun was setting)

Thank you for the quick response by the way!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 11/19/19 at 21:20:19

Is the bike in neutral?   If it is try putting it in gear ,that should force the gear on the back of the clutch basket and the gear on the motor's main shaft to turn , (be gentle you could rock the bike off the kick stand)  then decide where you need to place the shim. If that doesn't work you may have to wait for others to chime in as I must admit to never being in the clutch on my bike in the 25 Years I"ve owned it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 11/20/19 at 05:35:28

How many miles are on your Savage that you are replacing the plates? The clutch on these bikes is fairly robust. Is your oil gray from friction plate wear?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 11/20/19 at 13:42:48

The reason you are not moving the primary drive gears when you turn the clutch-hub nut is because to access the nut you have to remove the release plate.  The release plate, item (14) of the illustrated parts breakdown, is shown in this picture.

runnin-it-stock_forum_member_picture_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 11/20/19 at 13:48:54

Once the release plate has been removed, there is no way to connect the hub to the primary drive gears.

You said your rear wheel turns when you try to turn the nut.  That indicates that you already have it in gear.  Elevate the rear wheel so it is not touching the ground.  That's important because you don't want the rear wheel driving the bike off the side stand while you are working on it.

Use the shifter mechanism to place the bike in top gear (4th or 5th gear).  Then hold the foot brake firmly while you break the nut loose.  You might need assistance to do this, I usually just tighten up the rear brake adjuster until the rear brake is applied hard.  Now the break will prevent the wheel from turning, which will prevent the transmission from turning, which will hold the clutch hub solid while you loosen the nut.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 11/20/19 at 13:55:21

Don't put a nickel in the primary drive gears to lock them.   A nickel is too hard, you're gonna damage the gears.  I suggest you go to the hardware store and purchase a short length of 1/4" soft-rolled copper tubing.  They typically sell it by the foot.  Soft-rolled copper tubing is annealed and dead soft.  It works great for locking the gears.  You need to lock the primary gears when you remove or tighten the primary drive gear nut.  That's the nut on the end of the crankshaft.  It's left hand thread.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 14:14:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My footpeg bolt fell inside?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.