Sidecar Rig (Read 291 times)
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Sidecar Rig
11/05/19 at 14:22:25

Hi, I’m new to the group.

My story is quite long, so I’ll try to give the short version. I put together a hobby shop to build motorcycles. I had it for 5 years and had an unfortunate accident and it burned down. One of the bikes I lost in the fire was a Royal Enfield with a sidecar. The bike was destroyed but the sidecar was stored in my barn so it survived.

I looked around for a thumper that I could mount the sidecar on. The main mounting requires a single down tube on the frame. This led me to the Suzuki Savage and S40.

I know there are some that will say the Suzuki doesn’t have the power to run a hack, but it’s more powerful than the RE that was on there before.

I’m interested in comments and experiences with the Suzuki Savage and S40 with a sidecar.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Sidecar Rig
Reply #1 - 11/05/19 at 14:31:09

I don't think you are going to find anyone with S40 sidecar experience.

One issue I wonder about, is the steering geometry of the Savage.  In stock form there is a lot of rake in the forks, and the bike sort of "flops" into corner a bit more than just turning......I don't know how a sidecar would affect way the bike steers, corners or handles.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #2 - 11/05/19 at 14:43:22

That’s a good point. I know more rake on regular 3 wheel trike actually improves handling. I was hoping the rake would actually be a good thing. There is a steering damper on the sidecar rig so that might help.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #3 - 11/05/19 at 14:48:03

Here’s a picture of the original sidecar rig.

FEFF8A6C-252D-4F39-AC91-D61DC63914D3.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #4 - 11/05/19 at 14:49:44

Here’s a picture of the 2011 S40 that I bought.

52973DF8-B3F3-47B4-8725-E69CE860B4FE.jpeg
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #5 - 11/05/19 at 16:21:43

This is gonna be good, lookin forward to watching this project!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 11/06/19 at 05:55:49

Nice!  Handling and comfort aside (because I never did a sidecar, and comfort is subjective), I think you made a great choice.  These bikes have a nice powerband and chug along nicely at reasonable speeds.

You can lower always lower the forks up to ~2" which will reduce the rake a bit and I believe it will increase the trail at the same time.   Options include reducing travel, top clamps that allow you to slide the forks up in the tubes or even having the tubes cut down.  The latter two options will allow you to keep the original fork travel.

You can also do mid-controls and even make the 650 look more like the RE if that's what you are into.  That's what is so cool about these bikes.  Lots of options.

Personally, I built my bike to be more of a standard with the forks lowered 2" (cut down) and stock rear shocks and I think I handle great.  Just like any other standard I've ridden over the years.  No more floppy front end.  Smiley

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #8 - 11/06/19 at 08:09:11

DieselBob wrote on 11/05/19 at 20:36:23:

Yes I’ve seen some of those links.

They sell mounting kits for the Suzuki, but from what I can tell they are similar to what I have. It should mount up fine.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #9 - 11/06/19 at 08:13:35

ohiomoto wrote on 11/06/19 at 05:55:49:
Nice!  Handling and comfort aside (because I never did a sidecar, and comfort is subjective), I think you made a great choice.  These bikes have a nice powerband and chug along nicely at reasonable speeds.

You can lower always lower the forks up to ~2" which will reduce the rake a bit and I believe it will increase the trail at the same time.   Options include reducing travel, top clamps that allow you to slide the forks up in the tubes or even having the tubes cut down.  The latter two options will allow you to keep the original fork travel.

You can also do mid-controls and even make the 650 look more like the RE if that's what you are into.  That's what is so cool about these bikes.  Lots of options.

Personally, I built my bike to be more of a standard with the forks lowered 2" (cut down) and stock rear shocks and I think I handle great.  Just like any other standard I've ridden over the years.  No more floppy front end.  Smiley 

I like the idea of turning the Suzuki into more of a classic style but not sure I want to spend a the time or money since I have several projects in the fire and the bike I bought is really clean. If the sidecar doesn’t work out I’m thinking the value may be more if left stock. Maybe if it works out and I like it, then I might consider it. It would be cool to have a solo seat tho.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #10 - 11/06/19 at 08:15:26

ohiomoto wrote on 11/06/19 at 05:55:49:
The latter two options will allow you to keep the original fork travel.

Can you quantify the original travel?

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #11 - 11/06/19 at 08:21:35

Dennisgb wrote on 11/06/19 at 08:13:35:
If the sidecar doesn’t work out I’m thinking the value may be more if left stock.

Dubious notion, me thinks.  While (judging from local listings) dumping a bunch of money into a bobber build probably ain't recoverable, I doubt adapting a midset and lowering the front end will hurt value, at all.   Raise it, more likely, if done well.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 11/06/19 at 08:27:34

IIRC stock travel is 5.5"???   A lot of us have used 2" spacers to lower the fork and that reduces the travel by the same amount.  I ran that way for a couple of years and then had the forks shortened and removed the spacer.  This allowed me to go back to the full stroke of the fork had when stock using the stock triple clamp.  Others use aftermarket clamps that allow them to raise the forks in the clamps to lower the frontend while retaining full travel.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 11/06/19 at 08:32:35

My point isn't about the value, it's about the bike is a good platform to start the sidecar project.  

If it works out in stock form, great.  If the fork rake proves to be more than desirable, throw some spacers in there and see if it's better.  If it is, you have options to regain full travel.  If you decide you want it to look different, it can be done.

If it doesn't work out and you want a project, the options are unlimited.  Or ride it in stock form, or sell it.

Options.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 11/06/19 at 08:36:42

I will say this, I seem to run across enough people who find my bike interesting enough that I'm pretty sure I can easily sell it for more than the average stock unit.  I also built it on a pretty tight budget and sold enough parts to cover the initial cost of the bike.  

But would someone pay enough to make me want to sell it?  I doubt it and it really doesn't matter because I built it for me.  I have a similar project in my garage that I plan to sell and I probably won't really profit from it either.   Smiley  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 15:14:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sidecar Rig

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.