Send Topic Print
GPS Speedometer (Read 257 times)
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Re: GPS Speedometer
Reply #15 - 12/05/19 at 19:55:33

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 12/05/19 at 13:59:16:
No, you will want a switched source. The head lamp (white) or tail lamp (brown) are always on when the bike is running. The eBay ad doesn't show the current draw of the unit, but I can't imagine that it's more than a few tenths of an amp.

You could also tap into the main switched power which is the orange wire from the keyed switch.

Awesome, thank you so much!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 12/07/19 at 08:59:34

The white lead to the headlight isn't good to use as you'll lose power if you run the high beam , power to the front running lights could be used ,(gray wire from either turn signal ) and are much closer .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #17 - 12/07/19 at 20:54:54

I think one side of the wires going to the horn is 12v.  I think the ground is switched. I believe thats where I had grabbed 12v at that time.

On the GPS speedos you can run switched 12v or some have constant 12v input also.  If you just use switched, the speedo will take maybe a couple seconds longer to find the satellites.  If you have the kind that has an input for battery, its supposed to remember the satelite locations, but I think the boot up response is minimally faster.

By the way I hope to have some GPS speedos for sale in the next month with tripometers and another version with an integrated tach.

dcm_speedo_tach.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #18 - 12/07/19 at 21:02:45

SpamyToo wrote on 12/07/19 at 20:54:54:
I think one side of the wires going to the horn is 12v.  I think the ground is switched. I believe thats where I had grabbed 12v at that time.

On the GPS speedos you can run switched 12v or some have constant 12v input also.  If you just use switched, the speedo will take maybe a couple seconds longer to find the satellites.  If you have the kind that has an input for battery, its supposed to remember the satelite locations, but I think the boot up response is minimally faster.

By the way I hope to have some GPS speedos for sale in the next month with tripometers and another version with an integrated tach.

Cool. Thank you. Where did you mount your antenna?

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 12/08/19 at 03:28:22

I had my antenna lead shortened, and I mounted the antenna on top of the front brake master cylinder.  It is attached with Velcro for when I need to service the brake.   The antenna is barely noticeable.

I did not connect the "memory" wire, as I did not want the constant draw on my LiIon battery........when I turn the bike off in the fall I can turn it back on in the spring and the battery is still charged.  The only downside is that when you go riding and are in the mountains, the GPS can't always find enough satellites to get started in the morning, and I have ridden 10 or 15 miles occasionally before the speedometer can find the data it needs.  I should have either wired in a switch - or a connector that was easy to get to and could be unplugged for long term storage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #20 - 12/08/19 at 07:18:19

As everyone said the best response is in plain view of the sky.  But I actually have mine double stick taped to the top inside of my headlight bucket and it works just fine.

Its out of sight and doesn't seem to have any bad effects, but I may be just lucky with this.  Your results might not be as good, but you can always try and change it if it doesnt work good.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 12:05:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GPS Speedometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.