Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carbs, Mechanics and now Im really confused. (Read 146 times)
ShellyB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pennsylvania
Carbs, Mechanics and now Im really confused.
09/06/19 at 17:33:15

I got my '07 savage mid Aug from a HD dealership. Found in trade barn I suspect it sat at least 2 yrs maybe longer. They kept it for a week to service it before I took it.
The mechanic that went over the bike w/ me when I picked it up told me these things...
He said "It surges." Said he tried to smooth it out by working on the carb. He said he had it off a couple times but he couldnt find the specs anywhere for Suzuki so he adjusted it the best he could.
That its geared high to run a lower gear with it and use 91 oct fuel because it was running rich.
Took it home. Road it local for a few days then took it farther. 60 miles round tr. by 30 miles it was running rough. back fire now and then, and when I stalled it once it blew some dark smoke. Also it smelled bad. the exhaust stunk.
Get it home and call local Suzuki Shop. Took it there for what they said was a needed carb adjustment. Which sounded right since the other guy said he did the best he could but didnt have specs.
2 weeks and $290 later I pick up my bike tonight.
Suzuki guy said carb was plugged full and adjustment screw was broke off inside. Had to be drilled out. and to use 87 oct fuel because it was running really lean.

So I call the HD mechanic because now I dont know who to listen to. He tells me the carb was cleaned when it left there. I must have run it with the choke on. I swear to you guys I havent. No. He also said it was a fouled plug probably. That there was no adjustment screw on my carb. it came factory set and thats it.

So as you can see I have 2 different stories. The only thing they both agreed on was to chose a lower gear.
It does have more pep and doesnt stink.
Any thoughts on which mechanic I should go with and could you please answer these questions?
1) Is there an adjustment screw in the carb?
2)Which fuel is best, 91 or 87?
3) Blue pipes... Means too much heat and running lean. Is that correct?
4) Backfiring/ popping off, Does that hurt anything once in awhile? I figured out what makes it happen. Quick release of throttle.
Thank you for your time.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Carbs, Mechanics and now Im really confused.
Reply #1 - 09/06/19 at 19:31:02

Hope you didn't pay too much to get your bike broken, if you have interest in bikes you should learn to play with thm yourself

-There is a pilot  mixture screw on the carburator but it's covered from factory by a plug that needs to be drilled into and pulled out
-You should only use 87 octane in this bike, it doesn't have high compression, 91 isn't needed
-Blue pipes means the bike was ridden slowly but the bike does come lean right out of the showroom,  you'll have a blue header no matter what,especially if you ride the bike around sea level. It's the nature of the beast learn to like it
-All my Savages backfired when stock, it was fun scaring people, I got rid of the stock muffler and changed the main jet to a 152.5, cured my backfires

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 09/06/19 at 19:33:58

The root of the problem is probably a failed petcock. Get a Yamaha Raptor replacement. Search the forum for details.

The carb has all of the usual adjustments including replaceable jets. I’d probably go see a Suzuki mechanic before a HD mechanic.

You don’t adjust the mixture with the fuel octane. That’s about the biggest bullshit I’ve heard. Octane helps with preignition, that’s it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/06/19 at 21:04:20

Harley dealers and their mechanics know nothing about the Savage - and unfortunately a lot of Suzuki dealers don't either.

At lower elevations the carb needs to have the jets changed, and the slide needle needs to have the white spacer replaced with three #4 machine screw washers to cure the lean surge that occurs at low throttle.  I would change the main jet to a #150, the pilot to a #50, replace the white spacer on the needle with the washers, and then adjust the idle fuel mixture screw if they actually have it repaired.

The stock petcock is vacuum operated, and the ethanol fuel can do weird things to the diaphragm.  Sometimes it gets stiff and fails to send fuel to the carb - sometimes it dissolves and leaks fuel into the carb and makes it run rich.....or fills the airbox or crankcase with fuel.  Replace it with a manual petcock from a Yamaha 660 Raptor - get the genuine Yamaha part and not a cheap Chinese copy.  The part number is listed in this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 09/08/19 at 05:55:22

I agree with starting with the petcock.  After that, I would start with stock jetting because it's not THAT lean and the bike should run reasonable well.  You can fine tune it AFTER you get it running.  

I would pay close attention to the slide.  If it's sticky, you will get lean surges when it sticks during acceleration. Don't worry as much about popping and backfiring under deceleration.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/08/19 at 18:07:58

If you want to spend more, ride less and get screwed, pay someone to fix it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ShellyB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - 09/08/19 at 20:43:06

Thanks guys for your advice..
I'm hoping that with the work they did and the fact it's running good now that it will hold out for a couple months as is. It typically starts snowing the end of October here so then I'm mostly done for awhile.
My carb mechanic (son) will be home from deployment in March and I will get a raptor put on and have him read all this. He does the carbs in dozers so he should be able to handle this. I'll see what he says.
I just didnt know which one was closer to the truth. Generally you can find the common things in 2 stories and work from there but they were so opposite each other..
Thanks again.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #7 - 09/09/19 at 03:00:06

ohiomoto wrote on 09/08/19 at 05:55:22:
I agree with starting with the petcock.  After that, I would start with stock jetting because it's not THAT lean and the bike should run reasonable well.  You can fine tune it AFTER you get it running.  

I would pay close attention to the slide.  If it's sticky, you will get lean surges when it sticks during acceleration. Don't worry as much about popping and backfiring under deceleration.  

After getting the Raptor petcock, I would change the oil + filter. If the oil is gassy (thinned out) that may cause some problems. Use Rotella oil.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 09/09/19 at 06:11:08

I didn't think there were any gas powered dozers left in the world, let alone one with a carb. Even so, dozer operators aren't usually concerned with throttle response....

Don't be afraid to dig into this carb yourself. They are VERY simple to work on and once learned, you are the master of your domain.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ShellyB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pennsylvania
Reply #9 - 09/09/19 at 07:50:35

There is on ours . We have a 44 AG6 Cletrac. And a small one they are rebuilding. I dont know what year that one is but it's a mini version of our big boy.
It still works for a living. That's how we get our firewood.
and I guess throttle response on a dozer is... you want it to respond fully when your pushing or pulling. No cutting out. Its old and there's stuff in the tank that plugs it up now and then. It has to be cleaned out.

« Last Edit: 09/09/19 at 11:07:32 by ShellyB »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:03:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carbs, Mechanics and now Im really confused.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.