Send Topic Print
The Elusive Ping (Read 294 times)
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Elusive Ping
07/29/19 at 22:12:09

I am currently trying to track down an annoying pinging coming from the coming from my bike. It's subtly there when idling and grows louder as I increase the revs. I'm not sure if it is an engine knock, a leak at the header, a leak at the slip-on end of the muffler or coming from around the carburetor.

Here is a list of items I have done to my bike before the ping started.

1. Took off and put back on my muffler trying to squelch some of the exhaust leaks. I think it's still leaking at the join but I have had no real repercussions from it, eg bogging, back firing etc.

2. I have loosened and re-tightened the header pipe just in case a leak had developed while I has putting the muffler back on. Again, no issues like bogging etc.

3. Removed and re-jetted the carb with a set of Lancers miracle workers.
I have rejetted the carb from stock (Pilot - 52.5; Main - 145; Needle - white spacer) too Pilot - 55; Main - 150; Needle - three washers (about 1/2 - 2/3 of white spacer height). I have also looked around and cannot see any signs of a tear or gap between the carb and engine boot or the carb and airbox tube.

4. I have run both 87 then 91 petrol to see if that would effect a change, which it didn't.

I am currently out of ideas of what it could be, any suggestions?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: The Elusive Ping
Reply #1 - 07/30/19 at 04:09:54

One thing that has happened just a couple of times, is a loose flywheel nut.

Mine started to make a ticking noise when it only had 400 miles on it, by the time it reached 1,000 miles it was a horrible loud knock.  The sound was loudest at idle, and at speed it made less noise as the engine was running smoother at speed.....the flywheel was not knocking on the spines.  One other member completely stripped and sold his bike for parts as they felt the knock was terminal - it wasn't until he was taking the engine apart when he found the loose flywheel nut.....by then too much of the bike was sold to put it back together.

It is tough to check, as you need to take the left side engine cover off, remove the rotor with a special puller, and finally you get to the nut.

If you can't find any other source and the noise keeps getting louder....maybe this is a potential source.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/30/19 at 06:57:05

You may want to check your cam chain tensioner  first , if its very extended it can cause the same type of noise ,usually louder at idle .(no special tools needed). If the tiny snap ring has jumped off the stud that holds the base of the adjuster, the adjuster will try to slide of the stud,  it can't,  but will misalign and cause valve noise.( a tapping sound heard throughout the motor).
    You may want to check the adjustment of the decomp solenoid , if not set right the small arm on the exhaust valve rocker could be hitting the cam in the cylinder head.( also a sign of rockerarm pivot ware)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/30/19 at 20:03:44

Cheers guys; thanks for the direction.

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/18/19 at 13:24:31

UPDATE

The ping seems to be coming from the exhaust port right side valve (from standing in front of the front tyre looking down the bike to the tail). I have readjusted the valve clearances as well as the de-comp solenoid resulting in the ping being a lot quieter but still noticeable.

I did check the cam adjuster (I installed a verslavy about 1000 miles ago) and everything is as it should be.

Am I wrong in suspecting that the cam chain could be throwing the out the valve clearances? I have just hit 22000 miles on a bike that looks to have had the head removed by the previous owner.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/18/19 at 17:48:21

The stretch of the cam chain ,will retard valve timing very slightly ,but nothing to be concerned about . If you suspect the PO has been inside the top end it may be time to check it for yourself. I don't understand your jets , what is your location/ elevation?  what does your sparkplug look like ? better yet try a new plug ,run it fairly hard ,pull it out and tell us what it looks like. Use a magnifying glass and check the tip of the electrode  for signs of specks of alumimum. (that would indicate pinging)-running to lean.  If your bike has stock compression 87 octane will do , and running 91 won't change anything.

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/18/19 at 21:39:43

The Verslavy is on the second hole with the cam adjuster tightly compressed.

I live just under 1000' above sea level.

My current jetting set up is:
Pilot - 55
Main - 150
Needle - three washers (about 1/2 - 2/3 of white spacer height)
(This is from Lancers reject pack).

This was changed from the stock setup of:
Pilot - 52.5
Main - 145
Needle - white spacer

I had the plug out the other night and noticed that it was black and sooty. Running too rich?

I have recently switched out the large HD touring muffler to a 09 dyna slip on. When I went for a motorway run today I noticed that once I hit 60 the bike considerably stopped pulling with it being almost non exsistant once I got up to 70. At 80 bike would start cutting out and surging slightly until I dropped back down to 75 - 70.
With the HD touring muffler I didn't experience this. The bike would pull all they way up to 75 - 80. I have got her up to 85 - 87 and during that speed had no cutting or surging.

Thanks for the feedback Batman!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/18/19 at 22:03:17

I think most of your jetting to be OK except the 55pilot , I think that's why your plug is so black.  You have to remember that all your jets are cumulative ,that is even at WOT your pilot jet is still adding to your fuel, and a 55 pilot isn't needed unless you at sea level .I run 52.5 /150  down to 400ft often with no problem.       I would go back to the stock 52.5 pilot.
   longer exhaust's tend to favor mid range rpm ,shorter tend to favor higher rpms If your carb is tuned well ,if you change back to the 52.5 and retune your fuel screw I think you'll see your top speed return and a bit better mpg.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/19/19 at 01:39:39

You have to remember that all your jets are cumulative ,that is even at WOT your pilot jet is still adding to your fuel, and a 55 pilot isn't needed unless you at sea level .

I didnott gnothat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/19/19 at 03:37:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/19 at 01:39:39:
You have to remember that all your jets are cumulative ,that is even at WOT your pilot jet is still adding to your fuel, and a 55 pilot isn't needed unless you at sea level .

I didnott gnothat.

Yep

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #10 - 08/19/19 at 06:26:52

Dave wrote on 07/30/19 at 04:09:54:
One thing that has happened just a couple of times, is a loose flywheel nut.

Mine started to make a ticking noise when it only had 400 miles on it, by the time it reached 1,000 miles it was a horrible loud knock.  The sound was loudest at idle, and at speed it made less noise as the engine was running smoother at speed.....the flywheel was not knocking on the spines.  One other member completely stripped and sold his bike for parts as they felt the knock was terminal - it wasn't until he was taking the engine apart when he found the loose flywheel nut.....by then too much of the bike was sold to put it back together.

It is tough to check, as you need to take the left side engine cover off, remove the rotor with a special puller, and finally you get to the nut.

If you can't find any other source and the noise keeps getting louder....maybe this is a potential source.

Sometimes it feels like metal banging on metal in the foot pegs on the left side of the engine. I can't say I have heard a pinging sounds as described but I would still like to check the flywheel nut this winter among other things. I found a thread suggesting that I need a 46mm socket and I found the torque specs but how can I lock the shaft?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/19/19 at 07:49:06

KEthere are 4 tools required to pull the flywheel and I have them, just don’t remember the names except the 46mm.  
Dave knows the names and has a better memory.

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/19/19 at 10:55:39

I tuned back my carb this morning (made leaner) which has made a dramatic difference. There was a little bit of engine "ditting" (dit .. dit dit .. dit .. dit .. etc) when I hit 80, but nothing as drastic as what I had on Sunday. The bike pulled a lot better with her dropping off at around 70 - 75. I have tuned the card back by another 1/4 of a turn and will test again this afternoon. I hope to change my pilot back to stock in the next few days.

Regarding the ping, it has become quieter with the carb adjustment. It's still there, but not as intrusive as it has been.

Again, thanks Batman for your help!

Lancer, have a question for you. Is the size of the pilot jet in your kit which has holes down it's length #52.5? It's hard to read the number on that jet.

- cheers!

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/07/19 at 12:08:34

During a valve clearance check I have discovered that the exhaust side rocker arm has about 5mm of lateral movement. My gues is that this is not normal and could be the cause of the ping?

Note: The intake rocker has zero lateral movement.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 09/07/19 at 23:47:31

Both rocker arms should have slight lateral movement when the piston is at TDC on compression stroke.  They are nested in the head cover and use a wave washer to keep them from rattling around.  I'm guessing each should have about .010" to .030" lateral movement, and should spring back due to the wave washer.  Obviously, if an adjuster is too tight, or if you don't have the piston at TDC compression, the valves might be open and then you won't be able to move the rocker arm right & left.

If you have 5mm (.200") of lateral movement, I'm guessing you are missing a wave washer, or the head cover is very, very, very worn.  This picture shows how the wave washer is installed.  BTW, they can be pretty tricky to get in there, and a missing wave washer would probably make a lot of high pitched ticking/tacking/pinging noise.  Also, if the adjuster is allowed to overlap the valve stem, all hell is gonna break loose.

PlastiGage_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 14:12:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Elusive Ping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.