shinko tires (Read 69 times)
backroadbozo
YaBB Newbies

Catch Me If You Can

Gettysburg, PA
shinko tires
08/28/19 at 14:34:14

Hey guys,
I'm wondering if anybody on here has tried the Shinko 777 tires in the 150/90-15 size. I really want to fit whitewalls on my bike but I'm getting mixed answers about tires and whether or not the 150/90's will work. What I'm most concerned with is belt/swingarm clearance. I have a Dunlop Elite 2 140/90-15 on right now and I have plenty of clearance. I do understand that all tires are different sizes much like clothing so that's why I'm asking about these tires specifically and if anyone has tried them. I have a bobbed rear end so the stock fender bolt issue is not of any concern. Thanks in advance!

-Ty  Huh

1996 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: shinko tires
Reply #1 - 08/28/19 at 16:25:53

I have run the Shinko 230 -150/90 15 on a 3.5'' aluminum rim and the bolts for the side rails had to be switched out with button heads. The 777 should be the same size. My first one was 5 7/8'' wide, my third was 6 1/8'' wide. Still cleared the belt and guard. If you are using the stock rim (2.15'' wide) you will be narrower and have a crown in the middle and a slightly un-natural profile. Try running a little low on pressure 28-30 lbs psi. It is a HD tire as I recall so it is stiff by it self. I had not checked the pressure in mine for a while and noticed it feeling mushy, it was down to 14 psi. I normaly ran 28. Slowly going down thru the 20's I never noticed a thing.
Being crowned will cut down on it's mileage, but with a bobber you won't be running 20k a year. Nothing aginst bobbers, but most shown on this site are several years old and still have the stock rear tire. (good for 7k at the most)
You won't be able to put a 25 tooth pulley on to raise the gearing or the tire will be REAL close to the front of the swingarm. But the bigger tire should correct the speedo error.(check with a gps app on your phone)

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 08/28/19 at 20:08:31

A 150/ 90 /15 is  7.5% larger on average than the stock 140/80 15 . if the speedo reads 50  mph ( stock ) you'll be doing 54, if 65 you'll be doing 70 mph.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #3 - 08/29/19 at 22:02:09

When I fitted a 140/90/15  shinko 230 to the  rear I worked out the diameter was increased by 4.2%
Checking the speedo against a gps after fitting the new tire they read the same.
Made a difference for the better to the highway riding as well

Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 10:23:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shinko tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.