Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Bad Gas Blues
08/28/19 at 11:41:06

Well she's been sitting longer than I thought. Went out start my '02 yesterday and had the classic stuck float with the vents overflowing. Just for hoots and hollars I dropped the bowl and found the float all crudded up from old gas. Got lazy and just scrubbed everything down with WD 40 and a tooth brush, freed up the float and put the bowl back on.  
 Drained the tank and dumped about a 1/2 gallon of fresh gas back in. Boy was I surprised when it started up on the third try. Still a little popping at mid range but got a good idle back. Don't know if I'm pulling the carb for a good cleaning. The mid range noise is telling me that a jet is partially clogged. Will probably drop the bowl again to remove and clean the main. Hope that will take care of it along with a few squirts of carb cleaner.
  Can't blame anyone but myself for this one.  Angry

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Bad Gas Blues
Reply #1 - 08/28/19 at 13:40:08

Glad to hear that you caught it in time Ed.  Nothin worse than a solid block of goo in your carburetor.  I would pay close attention to your pilot jet.  It is the smallest orifice and most prone to plugging.  A good thorough cleaning is the way to go.

This old post might be useful.  I found the PineSol worked amazingly well and its only about three-bucks for a jug.  It sounds nutty but it actually works good.  Good luck.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1561067840

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/28/19 at 16:25:18

IF the jets/tiny passages are Not plugged
Sea Foam would probably rinse out the gelatinous crud and save you the trouble of a good cleaning.
Next time you park it long term, shut off the fuel and run it dry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 08/29/19 at 08:49:12

I'd make sure the slide is clean.  When mine was worn, it would stick a little in the mid-range causing a momentary lean condition.  The butterfly is open, drawing more air, but the slide is stuck, limiting the fuel.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/29/19 at 09:44:04

I have had the bad gas blues lately, but not in my bike  Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 08/29/19 at 13:01:35

I'm hoping the main jet is just a little crudded up, think I need to remove it and poke it out with a tip cleaner from my torch set. They work great for cleaning out jets and passage ways in carbs.  It idles just fine and runs up to full RPM with no load, just pops in mid range. Haven't taken it out for a test run but at least it started and idles with no problem. Letting the carb sit with some Seafoam in it is a good idea, will dose it tomorrow. Not going to be able to work on it for a good week with the storm coming. Also planning to hit the carb with a can of carb cleaner when I get the bowl off and take it from there. Still a little pi$$ed at myself for letting it get this bad but no use to cry over it.  Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/29/19 at 16:22:21

Avoid the hassle.
Gas off
Run dry

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 09:31:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Gas Blues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.