Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OEM Clutch Cover Gasket (Read 195 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
OEM Clutch Cover Gasket
08/22/19 at 00:10:41

I have been reusing my clutch cover gasket with fabulous results.  I'm on the fifth go around and its still in excellent condition.  Today, I found out why.

I have the clutch cover off for a project I am working on.  I hung the gasket up in my garage, as I usually do.

Gasket_Hanger_SNAFU_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: OEM Clutch Cover Gasket
Reply #1 - 08/22/19 at 00:14:59

I heard an unusual noise this afternoon.  Sounded a bit like shaking a large sheet of thin metal.  Looked around a bit but didn't find anything out of order, so I continued wrenching.

A few hours later, I noticed a dark mark on my fuel tank, which was sitting on my work bench.  Upon closer inspection, I could see a chunk of paint was missing.  The clutch cover gasket was laying next to the tank.

Tank_Damage_from_Gasket_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 08/22/19 at 00:19:37

These new gaskets are metal with a composite coating.  The gasket is magnetic.  The wind blew the gasket off my mickey mouse hanger and it dropped on my tank.  That was the strange sound.  No wonder this thing is so durable.  I have a new one but have never had to use it because the existing gasket is always primo when I remove the clutch cover.

The OEM part number is 11482-24B20.  Try it, you'll like it (as long as it doesn't clobber your gas tank).

Clutch_Cover_Gasket_Metal_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #3 - 08/22/19 at 11:41:10

It's always good to have a spare. On my 3rd re-use, massive amounts of oil pumped out across the top 3 mounting bolts. The gasket goo in that section was falling off, and even applying a new thin coat didn't help. A new gasket saved the day. I did hate paying $35.00  and waiting a week.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 08/22/19 at 22:23:45

I stopped using gasket goo after the last removal and found strands of goo inside the case. Bare gasket works fine.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 09/08/19 at 16:58:55

I bought an Athena gasket of eBay about two years ago and it came with some damage, probably still usable but they replaced it. However I've never used I've had my original on and off about half a dozen times at least and it still seems brand new and now I know why.

This is good info, I just checked my replacement gaskets and they have no metal in them. I think when it finally goes I'll put an OEM on.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/10/19 at 12:01:00

That's interesting..
A 2005 parts list shows both
11482-24B20 for K7/K8/K9
11482-24B11 for K5/K6
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b367df870022ba8af9e09/crankcase-cover
Any idea on why they list both?

The 2002 only shows the 11482-24B11

In this thread, versy says there may be a difference between type and placement of sealant.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1542724635

I have to wonder if there is a thickness difference, which could throw off the clutch adjustment.. but both fiches show the same 3 push pins. (44.5, 45.5, 46.5)

I have a brand new, in the bag, OEM 11482-24B11
Thickness is .51mm (gasket material only)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/18/19 at 07:49:10

Hmm.. no answers on why there are 2 different kinds?

I am going to order a 11482-24B20 to see what I can see.

Not that I  have money to throw around, but I am going to have to open up the clutch side soon and want to see if there is a definite reason to use one gasket over the other (as far re-use-ability goes).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/26/19 at 03:34:46

Just in case someone cares, I got the new gasket in.  
It definitely has a metallic base.  I can't tell what the coating is.

It is not magnetic at all.  Maybe DragBikeMike magnetized his without knowing it?  Maybe it got magnetized after being on the bike for a period of time?

The metal one does NOT come with the beads of goo around the oil passages.

Metal on is very slightly thicker.  .54mm vs .51mm

Certainly will be sturdier than the paper kind of gasket.  I'll probably use it on the next "open 'er up" maintenance.

20190926_051739.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 09/26/19 at 13:02:31

I believe you are going to be very pleased with the performance of your new gasket.

When I said "The gasket is magnetic", I didn't mean it is magnetized, I meant that the base metal is some sort of iron base (ferrous), like steel. This picture shows a new gasket suspended by a magnet, so the base material must be magnetic.

I think that as these gaskets age and get used over & over, the coating will deteriorate.  Looks to me like they could be easily reconditioned by cleaning thoroughly with mineral spirits and applying a uniform coat of gasket cement, like Gaskacinch, Permatex, or silicone sealnt (non-acitic acid type).

Gasket_is_Magnetic_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 09/26/19 at 13:04:28

Once again, if you order part number 11482-24B20, you should get the correct part.  This picture shows all the labeling off a new gasket package.

IMG_2104_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 09/26/19 at 14:21:43

I bought one of those a few months ago. It is indeed magnetic, I had no idea.

It is a when I need it item.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
TRLREDY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/05/21 at 12:28:58

So are the 24B20 and 24B11 gaskets interchangeable?  I have an '03 and it calls for the 24B11 gasket but if the 24B20 is a better version I'd like to use that one.  Would the slight increase in thickness of the B20 throw off my clutch engagement?

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #13 - 12/05/21 at 14:11:04

Interesting stuff on gasket types.  My clutch cover gasket was paper only, and my magneto cover was RTV with no gasket what so ever.  The cylinder base gasket had three metal layers to it.

20211205_1407291.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #14 - 12/05/21 at 14:14:20

The OEM replacement gasket for my clutch cover has to metal - just paper.  My bike is an '87.

20211205_1411381.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 07:28:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OEM Clutch Cover Gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!