Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine compression Question (Read 57 times)
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine compression Question
12/06/21 at 21:02:39

I'm working on getting a 2002 savage I picked up the other day running. So far I got it to crank, so I checked compression. Is 90 psi OK for a cold engine? The compession solinoid activates for a couple cranks then deactivates. is that normal?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine compression Question
Reply #1 - 12/06/21 at 21:45:04

ckahleer wrote on 12/06/21 at 21:02:39:
I'm working on getting a 2002 savage I picked up the other day running. So far I got it to crank, so I checked compression. Is 90 psi OK for a cold engine?

No, but squirt some oil in the sparkplug hole and slosh it around.  You need to disable the decomp solenoid and block the carb open.
Quote:
The compession solinoid activates for a couple cranks then deactivates. is that normal?

yes.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 12/07/21 at 12:24:56

I assume your engine has not run in a long time.  Is that correct?

Your current compression is pretty low (90 psi).  It really should be up around 140 to 150 psi.  As Verslagen suggested, your throttle must be held wide open when you are cranking the engine for the compression check.  

I personally have never had a problem achieving a good compression check with the decomp solenoid hooked up, but it wouldn't hurt to try it both ways (with solenoid connected & with solenoid disconnected).

If it's still only 90 psi after trying with the throttle wide open, oil in cylinder, solenoid connected/disconnected, check your valve clearance to make sure you don't have a valve being held off the seat.  

If the valve clearance is OK, I suggest you try to get it running.  If it will run, warm it up a bit and see if it improves.  Might just be a layer of crud on the cylinder wall and valves.  That will most likely scuff off after a few minutes of gentle operation.  

If the compression remains at 90 psi after you run it a bit, I think you have a pretty tired engine.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/07/21 at 19:08:06

The engine has not run for about a year.
I adjusted valves to .004"
Carbuetor is pesently off the bike, but did compression checks anyway.
It was still 90psi with decompression solinoid disconnected.
After sqirting oil in cylinder, compression went up to 120psi.
Once I get the carburetor cleaned up and back on the bike, I'll do as Dragbikemike suggests. Get it running and check compression after it runs a bit.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 12/08/21 at 05:39:40

Doing a compression check with the carb removed will give you the best possible result. Your compression appears to be poor. After you get the bike started and ride it for 25 or more miles, recheck the compression. My guess is it will have improved. If not, a leak-down compression check is in order.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 08:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine compression Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!