Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Loss of power climbing hill (Read 294 times)
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Loss of power climbing hill
08/18/19 at 09:13:57

Hey everyone,
Was on a joyride last night and the bike was running great at a steady 50 mph for 15 minutes or so.  I eventually started climbed a fairly good grade up a mountainside still at 50 mph in 5th gear and everything was pulling great when all of a sudden I had a drop off in power.  As soon as I backed off the throttle to downshift I had some backfiring then engine quit.  While still rolling uphill I was able to immediately get it to fire back up and turn around and head back downhill.  

I climb this hill regularly and have never encountered a problem like this ever.  Bike didn’t do it again the whole ride back and rode like nothing ever happened..  Ant thoughts?  I was thinking maybe some junk in my gas?  Bike was just checked out at shop month ago during inspection.

It’s a daily commuter for me so I’ll see if it acts up this week.

2013 w\ about 7800 miles.  All stock.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Loss of power climbing hill
Reply #1 - 08/18/19 at 10:56:09

A one time thing..
Until it's not.
You said
It fired right back up
So
Obviously it died.

How did it die?
Like someone flipped a switch?
Chugging and struggling?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #2 - 08/18/19 at 11:53:06

I did mention the engine quit on me in my previous post.  I pulled in the clutch, heard some small backfires and as my clutch was pulled in the engine quit.  I downshifted, started the engine back up and rode back no problem.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/18/19 at 16:22:11

50 mph is barely fast enough to be in 5th gear , and your trying to go up a steep hill?     your dogging the motor,  try 4th gear . Either that or your float level isn't set right.-( your float is hinged at the rear of the bowl ,going uphill the fuel shifts to the rear and tends to open the float valve sending more fuel into the bowl , which is ok if your in 4th gear at the same speed because the throttle has to be farther open ,which means your using more fuel ,if your in 5th at 50 your not,  you might be flooding the bowl and the carb causing the bike to stall . Going downhill in 5th the opposite is true ,less fuel is entering the bowl but your using less ,so the bike doesn't stall.) Try the same hill in 5th gear but start up the hill at 60-65 and keep increasing throttle to maintain that speed to the top , and you'll most likely do just fine ,and it's better for the motor as well.If the speed limit is 50 use 4th ,if you drop to 45 use 3rd. It's not an auto tranny ,it's a MANnual tranny . be the man! Smiley

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 08/19/19 at 06:32:22

Sounds like you lost fuel.  

First, get a raptor petcock.  Stock petcock sucks.

The other possibility is that you lost vacuum and the slide dropped, which would take the bike straight down to a lean idle.  Lean because the butterfly valve is still wide open.   This happened to me once, but the bike didn't stall.  Not sure why it dropped, but my slide was worn and sticky. I replaced it and all is well.

I "idle" uphills doing 50 every day on my way home from work BTW.  Properly jetted, this bike is a tractor at any RPM.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/19/19 at 08:21:47

If you have junk in the tank, regardless of source, it can cause interruptions in fuel flow of course, but when it does it is more likely to be continuous vs intermittent.  I would go ahead a pull the carb and do a detailed inspection and test of every component in & on the carb.  This is the only way to be absolutely sure every piece is intact and fully functional.  Bits of stuff that cause trouble are tiny, and usually affect the pilot system, although anything is possible.
You can do it in an afternoon.  The only tool other than common hand tools needed is a set of jet cleaner wires, made for carb jets and gas welder jet nozzles.  Expect about $15-20 for it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/19/19 at 08:22:30

Fifth gear
Uphill
Throttle open
Vacuum drops.

You're lugging the crap out of it.
Fifth gear at fifty MPH requires a level road and no appreciable head wind.
Or huge rider

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/19/19 at 08:49:39

Ohiomoto.

I "idle" uphills doing 50 every day on my way home from work BTW.  Properly jetted, this bike is a tractor at any RPM. [/quote]

What steep hills in Cleveland/ Akron ? Your a flatlander ! There's no mountains in north Ohio.
     JOG and I are right , 50mph in fifth gear is only 3340 rpm ,the bike doesn't even reach peak torque until 3400 rpm , and only about 2/3 or less of it's hp . the bike needs to be in a lower gear, or as JOG said, your lugging the crap out of it.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 08/19/19 at 10:38:46

'' 50mph in fifth gear is only 3340 rpm ,the bike doesn't even reach peak torque until 3400 rpm''

I don't want to start a ''rpm war'', BUT, how can you say 60 rpm away from peak torque is lugging?
Rember, everyone rides different. Not everyone expects neck snapping acceleration at all times. ( this is a mildly tuned thumper after all )
I run both Kaw pulleys and only turn 2800 rpm at 50. Seldom do I hit 4k, (but I do live in FLAT S. Fla ) I will let it drop to 40 in 5th and roll the gas on and it pulls fine. ( for me )
I am over 90k on this bike now from here to Salt Lake, Buffalo, NY, and a bunch of trips to Western NC, (I know Mo ) I think twice in W Va I had to downshift to 4th for big hills on the Interstate. (4th on my bike is almost like 5th on a stock bike)  
Lugging to me is when I can feel the seprate power pulses actully jerking the bike. Often that is not running the engine too slow, but applying too much throttle for the load/rpm.
Yes if you require feeling the power''now'' every time you twich the throttle by all means keep the rpms up. But a big single does not live by rpms alone.

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #9 - 08/19/19 at 10:56:35

Yeah I figured I was pushing it in 5th gear.  Probably doesn't help I also put on an extra 20 lbs this summer  Wink

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 08/19/19 at 11:30:05

Badwolf, tell me your running both kawa pulleys with a STOCK motor, I'm guessing that's not the case, which means your hp is about 27 at 2800rpm ,  what the stock bike might be doing at 4340 rpm at 65 mph, and you still have to down shift on a really steep grade . Why ? because the pulleys have raised your torque peak close to3500- 3700 rpm, so 2800rpm doesn't cut it. Your talking apples and oranges here.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 08/19/19 at 11:40:35

The engine's torque peak is independent of the final drive ratio. You can get different results in different gears on a dyno, but that is a function of how a dyno works - not where or how the engine produces power.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/19/19 at 11:44:21

Gary your right perhaps I miss spoke , the pulleys slowed the motor's rpm bringing it away from Badwolf 's higher torque peak .

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 08/19/19 at 11:46:44

Compression ratio is fixed

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 08/19/19 at 12:00:45

It's on RPM COMPRESSION RATIO WAR!!!!

Grin

Hey batman, that hill I go up hits 14% grade.  I know that because I ride my road bike up it all of the time.  Sure, it's not that steep very long and it's only a few hundred feet of elevations gain, but the tractor like the power of the thumper puts right up that thing.  And I'm 250lbs.  It's obviously because I have a raptor petcock and my bike is so perfectly jetted!   Grin Grin  Flatlander my tushy!  

« Last Edit: 08/20/19 at 06:06:24 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 07:32:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loss of power climbing hill

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.