Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Boggs down at the touch of throttle (Read 234 times)
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Boggs down at the touch of throttle
08/14/19 at 20:00:42

bike is 2001 with 3000 miles on it, rebuild the carb with a $20 kit off of amazon (probably not the best kit) and when I give it just a touch of throttle when starting st stoplights it will die down a bit until it gets more gas then the RPMs pick up back to normal. What could be the cause of this issue. The only think I could not replace in the carb was the fill valve due too the acre being corroded and stripping real easy.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Boggs down at the touch of throttle
Reply #1 - 08/14/19 at 20:34:46

Rebuild kit online ,some times come with the wrong size jets, Hpoe you saved the one you took  out , compare the sizes.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Reply #2 - 08/15/19 at 05:10:06

Thanks Batman, I ordered new jets from a separate website. The kit only came with the puppet jets and not the mains. So I’ll give those a try.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 08/15/19 at 05:59:46

Sounds like the pilot jet is too lean. When you initially move the throttle you continue to lean the bike (because the jet can't keep up) until you hit the needle circuit and then all is good again. You can try (temporally until you get the proper sized jet back in) to improve off-idle performance by adjusting the fuel screw if it is uncapped/exposed.

« Last Edit: 08/15/19 at 12:07:53 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Reply #4 - 08/15/19 at 06:30:14

Thanks Gary, I have the adjuster screw as far in as it will go. I have also done the half spacer mod on the needle. Should I try to put the old pilot jets back in to see if that will work better?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 08/15/19 at 06:59:34

I hate when people "rebuild" and "clean" their carbs.  Honestly, there isn't really much to rebuild and not much to clean unless the bike sat in a barn for a few years.

Anyway...

1) Was the bike running properly before you rebuilt the carb?
If so, go back to the jetting that was in there and see if that helps.  If it runs well, fine-tune the jetting from there, or just leave it alone.  The stock jetting isn't that far off IMO.

2) Did you take the top of the carb apart, if so did you remove or replace the jets up there?
You could have a sticky slide, the diaphragm might not be fully seated or you put the wrong jets in.  Any of these things could cause the lean condition Gary mentioned.

3) Did you change the float needle and/orseat?
If the were not identical to the units that came out, your float level is off.  Go back to stock and check the float level.

After you figure it out, make sure you tell everyone you know to STAY THE F$%K AWAY from these "rebuild kits".   Grin

IP Logged
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Reply #6 - 08/15/19 at 07:22:08

The bike sat with a full gas tank for atleast 2 years, before that I’m not sure if it was stored properly. Before I “rebuilt” it, gas was coming out of the vent tubes. I replaced the slide needle and that issue was resolved. While I had it apart I also replaced the jets that came with the kit and I saved the old ones. And I did not change anything with the float. The screw that holds everything down was too messed up.

This is my first bike and my first time really messing with carbs.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/15/19 at 08:34:28

The brenden312 ,the adjustment screw is a fuel screw ,not an air screw ,if you have it all the way in you've leaned out the pilot /idle circuit,  open it to about 1 1/2 turns to start, slow the idle speed as much as you can without stalling (so you can hear speed changes) and adjust it in or out,  until you get the highest idle speed, if it ends up more than2 1/2 turns open you need a larger pilot  jet , and the screw can vibrate and fall out at 3 turns out.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 08/15/19 at 09:14:32

TheBrendan312 wrote on 08/15/19 at 07:22:08:
The bike sat with a full gas tank for atleast 2 years, before that I’m not sure if it was stored properly. Before I “rebuilt” it, gas was coming out of the vent tubes. I replaced the slide needle and that issue was resolved. While I had it apart I also replaced the jets that came with the kit and I saved the old ones. And I did not change anything with the float. The screw that holds everything down was too messed up.

This is my first bike and my first time really messing with carbs.
-------------------------

If fuel was coming out of the vent hoses then you float needle was probably stuck.  Sometimes tapping the side of the carb with the handle of a screwdriver or getting the bike started with the fuel turned off is enough to clear the problem.  

You should also make sure that your fuel petcock is not faulty and there is no gas mixed in with your oil.

Lastly, when this kind of crap happens, it is NOT the time to do a white spacer or change anything to do with jetting.  You really want to try and get this bike running properly with the same settings it has.  Someone put 3k miles on so it should run decently well with what was in there.  You just want to solve the fuel overflow issue and get it running.  Once running, then you can determine if you need to do any tuning.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 08/15/19 at 09:22:27

Also...

You said the slide needle solved the problem and you didn't remove the float bowl??  If this is true, you simply got lucky with the fuel overflow issue.  The float was probably stuck and it came loose when you started messing with the carb.  That's why I said hit it with a screwdriver handle.

If you replaced the jets in the top of the carb and the slide needle, go back and put the stock stuff back in.  Put the stock white spacer back while you are at it.  See if it runs any better.  If not, you may need to get the bottom of the carb apart and check that the pilot jet isn't clogged.

IP Logged
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Reply #10 - 08/15/19 at 09:38:10

batman wrote on 08/15/19 at 08:34:28:
The brenden312 ,the adjustment screw is a fuel screw ,not an air screw ,if you have it all the way in you've leaned out the pilot /idle circuit,  open it to about 1 1/2 turns to start, slow the idle speed as much as you can without stalling (so you can hear speed changes) and adjust it in or out,  until you get the highest idle speed, if it ends up more than2 1/2 turns open you need a larger pilot  jet , and the screw can vibrate and fall out at 3 turns out.

When I unscrew it, it seemed like it was running too rich and flooding. Could the issue be that the pilot jet is already too large?

IP Logged
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Reply #11 - 08/15/19 at 09:51:30

ohiomoto wrote on 08/15/19 at 09:22:27:
Also...

You said the slide needle solved the problem and you didn't remove the float bowl??  If this is true, you simply got lucky with the fuel overflow issue.  The float was probably stuck and it came loose when you started messing with the carb.  That's why I said hit it with a screwdriver handle.

If you replaced the jets in the top of the carb and the slide needle, go back and put the stock stuff back in.  Put the stock white spacer back while you are at it.  See if it runs any better.  If not, you may need to get the bottom of the carb apart and check that the pilot jet isn't clogged.

I understand now. I did have the carb all the way out and the float bowl apart. The slide needle and what it slides down into were very gunked up. As well as the main fuel jet was entirely clogged. I did replace the pilot jet in the bottom and one of the jets in the top portion of the carb (the smaller one) and every thing Was working way better except the current issue at hand.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #12 - 08/15/19 at 09:54:12

I would compare the new needle with the old one. I have had the jet kits come with completely wrong needles.  Looks new and nice, but totally the incorrect taper.

WWW   IP Logged
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Reply #13 - 08/15/19 at 09:56:32

SpamyToo wrote on 08/15/19 at 09:54:12:
I would compare the new needle with the old one. I have had the jet kits come with completely wrong needles.  Looks new and nice, but totally the incorrect taper.

—————————————

What is it that I’m looking to compare when I’m looking at the two jets?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 08/15/19 at 10:06:01

Do you know if this bike was running properly before it was parked for a couple of years?

Which needle did you actually replace?
The slide needle is the long needle that is in the slide which is accessed from the top of the carb.  You might have removed it when you did the white spacer mod.

The float needle is in the bottom of the carb.  You would have needed to remove the pin that holds the floats in place and float to replace it.  That would solve the fuel overflow issue.

So you replaced the two jets in the bottom?
If so, you want to get back to stock sizes or whatever sizes came out.  

Did you remove the two jets from the top of the carb?  
If so, you should put the stock jets back in.  

You should write down and confirm that you are using the proper size jets in each spot just in case someone changed it before you got there.

I would remove the white spacer mod until you get it running properly. You may or may not need it, but let's start by getting the bike operational.   Make sure the slide is clean and the diaphragm is properly seated.  

This is not a tuning issue so ignore the stupid low-speed adjustment.  It wouldn't cause this issue by itself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Boggs down at the touch of throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.