Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
First impression of the s40 (Read 413 times)
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: First impression of the s40
Reply #30 - 08/04/19 at 11:54:18

MMRanch, engines started to last longer when they separated the gearbox from the engine (because it beats the hell out off the engine oil).  The viscosity of gear oil and engine oil is very different from each other gear oil is much thicker than engine oil. Now the both last longer!
T6 oil in your gearbox would not perform as good as gear oil.

Again, keep us posted!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #31 - 08/04/19 at 13:38:13

The Savage ( 1995) is the first and only bike I ever purchased new , and I've ridden it ever since , so I guess it made a lasting impression on me .I can't say the other eight have.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 08/04/19 at 19:19:53

Batman, how many miles do you have on this 1995 Savage?
Did you made any improvements on it over the years?
We like to know more about it!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 08/04/19 at 23:25:33

I don't have as many as I'd like but I have 37,500  (Not my only bike) I can't count the improvements . The most radical ,is the fact that at 17000 miles I did a tensioner mod extending it like Versy  as it was out 19mm, but I then removed the pau and the tiny spring below it, turning it into a spring loaded shock. I figured if the piston was allowed to retract it had no chance to stretch the chain . the chain was already Half stretched , I was told that it would cause a meltdown ,but that was 20,000 miles ago and I'm still running the factory original chain. It's only stretched about 3mm in the last 20,000miles  ,if the Guides hold out I'm thinking about another 20,000 . I've also installed a custom intake ,made from 1 1/2 "PVC pipe  and custom air filters ,all inside the stock air box  . the motor is stock, except for carb mods and Stock HD Dyna muffler,   You can look for topic (search) "tuning you intake " It is the easiest way to gain added performance ,without expensive piston/cylinder mods.  I'm running 34 horsepower ,92 miles per hour. on E 87 GAS . with HD sportster front fender HD rear fender ,sportster bars  and small saddle bags . two place  mustang sportster seat. and taller passenger back rest, 11.5" Progressive shocks which decreased my steering angle) ,  I done at least 6 different mods to the Stock CV carb. It has a small eagles head on the front fender ,the head light is on a custom bracket and sets above the handle bars . and it has a 1938 HD bee hive tail light . the passenger pegs a shifted  '8 "forward of their normal location .  As I'm old school it only has two colors, black & chrome.  It's flat black ,Walmart's best spray can bed liner paint ,no waxing ,no sun bouncing in you eyes, and it's oil and gas resistant, I'm to busy riding to be bothered shining it. Half the people ask what kind of bike it is , and the other half just guess  .I ride in a group once in a while  ,mostly big HD's   after they follow me thru a couple of triple S bends dragging their running boards  ,they quit asking why I  ride that small bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 08/05/19 at 04:20:13

FlyingH wrote on 08/04/19 at 11:54:18:
MMRanch, engines started to last longer when they separated the gearbox from the engine (because it beats the hell out off the engine oil).  The viscosity of gear oil and engine oil is very different from each other gear oil is much thicker than engine oil. Now the both last longer!
T6 oil in your gearbox would not perform as good as gear oil.

I don't agree with this philosophy......old Triumphs/Nortons had the gearbox and engine oil seperate, and they were lucky to go 20,000 miles without needing engine work.

Most modern motorcycles share the engine sump and gearbox, with the same oil being used to lubricate both.  These modern engine/gearbox combinations can last for hundreds of thousands of miles......extreme examples can go 200k and still be running without a rebuild (a courier in the UK got 500K on his Honda ST1100 without a rebuild.....and some ST forum members have more than 400K without a rebuild).
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/highest-mileage-st1100.115490/

The secret is using a good oil, changing on a regular schedule.....and going on long rides on a regular basis (vehicles that are used exclusively for short trips around town will never reach those high miles).  The Honda Goldwing, Yamaha FJR, BMW boxers, Harley's and other large touring motorcycles can get very high mileage on a regular basis.  One Kawasaki 250 Ninja member got 86,000 miles out of his original engine until the cam chain just got too long and the tensioner was out of travel.......the engine still ran fine except for the cam chain rattle.  Well maintained motorcycles can go a very long time without issues....poorly maintained motorcycles can be broken in very short order (I bought a 3,800 mile Savage that needed the cam and rockers replaced).

It could be that gear oil might work better in a gearbox than motor oil - but the motorcycle gearbox was designed to use engine oil for lubrication, and gearbox failures are extremely rare.  The metal/metal contact of the gears might create more "junk" in the oil as the gears wear - however once they are broken in the gears really don't show that they are wearing or rubbing off metal to any degree.  On Youzguyz 160,000 mile Savage engine everything was in spec but the valve guides - the piston/cylinder, cam, rockers, etc. was all in spec and reused - the valves,guides and piston rings were replaced.

« Last Edit: 08/05/19 at 05:27:45 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #35 - 08/05/19 at 04:27:07

FlyingH wrote on 08/03/19 at 12:32:35:
MMRANCH.
ENGINEER.
Your are an optimist in thinking you will get trouble free150,000 miles with any oil.
(I am using T6 since my first oil change because I know it is one of the best) Any time you have an engine that uses the same oil for its gearbox, changing the oil at 10,000 miles is a mistake.
But good luck anyway and keep us posted!

I am curious as to what you consider to be "trouble free".  Or, to say it another way, what do you consider to be oil related "trouble"?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #36 - 08/05/19 at 04:32:26

I post something.. (which I don't do often anymore), then turn around and Dave just mentioned me.
So, I'm sure the next questions will be about my oil "habits".

Rotella T6
Sometimes as often as every 5,000 miles, sometimes as much as 10,000 miles.   Usually around 8,000 miles.
And... it looks like I am overdue. again.. CRAP.
On both bikes.. DOUBLE crap.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 08/05/19 at 05:04:48

Ah, the smell of hot oil in the morning .......

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #38 - 08/05/19 at 09:07:25

This is beginning to sound like , kinda sorta with a newbie and all a

OIL WAR

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 08/05/19 at 10:14:15

This Newbie is using Rotella T6. So it is not a question of what, but when!
We don't need more wars and special not about oil.

Are you trying to?

IP Logged
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 08/05/19 at 10:34:51

Reply #34  Dave,

Honda and other brands still using special gear oil and for similar reasons as I stated.
For your info: one of the many links regarding gearbox oils.
 https://www.motosport.com/pro-honda-hp-transmission-oil?variant[PHO000G]=PHO0...

Seems like we all have our own experiences and opinions.

Life is good!  ;

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 08/05/19 at 11:06:06

The top end of our motor is why we use the oils we use.
That's the area that requires a level of protection that oils for more modern engine designs don't do well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 08/05/19 at 11:17:02

Grin    Me, provoke or aggravate an oil war that was inadvertently started up by a newbie?  

"Nevermore", saith the Raven.

Surely you jest ......

Rotella T6 is good oil, good enough for an annual or yearly change interval especially if backed up with special filtration (supermagnet ferrous separation).  

The base oil and the additive packages contained in T6 are not weak, and some of us bump T6 up some anyway because we like enough additives sitting in the sump to replace whatever gets scrubbed off even very late in the oil change cycle.

I really don't think we need another oil war, as we do have correct Recommended Oils http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565 sitting over in Technical Documents which has everything in it that a newbie needs to know.

Now, if the newbie was saying something silly, we'd correct it, but he is not saying anything that isn't pretty much gospel (seems to have better common sense than many of the new persons come in with).

Dave is beginning to think that because of the carbide inserts Suzuki put in the most modern tappet followers, we might could back off on the old oil recommendations, but I keep pointing out we have lots of bikes here on the list that PREDATE those fancy tappet followers and those older style valve trains are running simple case hardened steel parts that certainly DO NEED need the higher levels of oil additives that are included in Recommended Oils  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

And there is a point where you have to say yet again, putting in the full T6 packages and bumping on top of it may NOT be needed in every case, but "the old specs" so far has not shown any harm being done to the fancy new parts --- and it helps keep those thrashy gears in the tranny all happy to boot as they got no fancy hard stuff added to them.    

Plus having lots of ZDDP logically makes our cam chains run a bit longer as they are 100% case hardened steel and they too need the heavy additive package to live relatively longer.   So, protecting the oldest bikes still gives some benefits to even the newest production bikes and we still lack any form of sensor that would be damaged by the larger doses of ZDDP.

Plus, you really can't get a Savage hot enough to jell a gearcase full of full synthetic T6, the engine simply doesn't ever get hot enough to cause the full synthetic Rotella base oil much damage.

Wink

« Last Edit: 08/05/19 at 21:23:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 08/05/19 at 13:12:19

THANK YOU "OLDFELLER".
From an other old feller (76). I do appreciate your comments and for your info if have bought the ZDDP and will add this with the upcoming oil change.
I am taking some hits for my " first impression" but it part of the fun.
I really like this bike for the reasons I have stated, just don't understand Suzuki marketing strategy for not making this bike a real winner. An owner should not need "Suzukisavage.com" to keep his/her Savager running.
Also, my bike has now 2,600 miles on it. When I turn back the throttle I get this wining sound, is this normal? My first impression was the timing chain. Could not find anything similar in the trouble sections.
Anyone, please reply.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 08/05/19 at 21:20:20

You know, back when the Savage was a puppy it wasn't a value bike at all, it was a Suzuki cost reduced take on a 350 Honda, nothing special, just a very minimal motorcycle.

It cost $1999 list when it first came out, and got sold for as low as $1500 new fairly regularly in the first years.

Suzuki wanted you to trade it in after the first year, so they made it as cheaply as legally possible and Suzuki had some 450s and 650s for you to trade up to.

It didn't need to last a long time ----- but it did anyway.

We puzzled out the fixes for most of the remaining issues and now they don't die at all unless you accidentally run them out of oil (#1 cause of death).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:26:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › First impression of the s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.