Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
First impression of the s40 (Read 413 times)
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First impression of the s40
07/31/19 at 14:08:06

I have had many bikes, all Europeans except one Yamaha.
At my old ages I bought a Suzuki s40, nice, only 370 pounds  and I do like one cylinders, reminding me of my earlier years riding one cylinder English bikes. (Had one problem oil leaks)
My best bikes were BMW's, first a 500cc, after that the 600cc, put a total of 30,000 miles on them.
Never had any of the problems a read on this website. Tune-ups, I did took about 1.5 hrs,- 2.0 hrs. carburetor, timing, valve adjustment and oil change. I realize now how nice it was when everything is so accessible.
I also understand the Savage is an inexpensive bike, but I can't say that I am impressed with the quality and the lack of improvements over the years.

Sorry, if I hurt the feeling of some of your hard-core Tumblers who seem to like tinkering with this bike as much as riding.            

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: First impression of the s40
Reply #1 - 07/31/19 at 15:33:12

You have not hurt my feelings - we all wish that Suzuki would do some updates and fix the issues that we have all learned are problematic (petcock, cam chain tensioner, crappy headlight, head plug leak, TEV valve that does not work well).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/31/19 at 16:23:32

Doesn’t hurt my feelings either.
I just like this bike, I like the engine, even with all those things we have altered to make it run better and be more dependable.  I still like it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/31/19 at 17:16:57

Did we just get drive-by'ed?...  Grin

Just kidding,.. but I like a bike that stays pretty much unchanged for 30 years,... plenty of available parts, and experienced mechanical advice.
Suzuki knows we're gonna' make our Savages the way we want them anyway.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 07/31/19 at 20:28:09

I like "Simple" and this bike is Simple .   The cam chain tension thing is an easy fix , and so is the petcock .   After that ... your good for 150,000 of trouble free ridding !  

Well , except for Tires and I do change my oil every 10,000 miles weather it needs it or not ...  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #5 - 07/31/19 at 22:52:03

I'm also glad the bike remains unchanged because that's where the charm comes from. Its a simple far outdated, outclassed and out styled machine that makes nostalgia for an old style and old feeling bike accessible. Its cool that if anything goes wrong with it I have 30 years of parts available without having to diagnose compatibility between years. Would I want all bikes to follow this pattern? No but I am glad this one does as I cant think of any other bike that can claim that.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 08/01/19 at 01:08:59

I still enjoy mine, although I don't touch the mechanics of it. It's a fun little thing, In another 4700 miles or so, I might even get a Serowbot bronze award. It's good for short legged people, I brought it because I liked the clour, style and price.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 08/01/19 at 06:03:52

You correctly pointed out that this bike is inexpensive.  The Suzuki can be had new for less than most used BMWs.  You mentioned that you are not impressed, but didn't actually share your first impressions, good and bad.  I'd be interested in those.

Keep in mind, not everyone wants a modern bike.  The LS650 might be new, but modern it's not.  It's inexpensive, reliable and easy to work on.   That's why I picked this bike over all others for a custom build (I don't even like "cruisers").  I didn't want some ugly "modern" bike.  If Triumph was still making 1960's or 1970's singles or twins with proper gaskets, seals, and electronic ignition for the price or the Savage, I would buy one tomorrow.  

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/01/19 at 11:40:51

I'm also "old", in my seventies and I bought my first bike when I was twelve.  All my early bikes were German, Italian, Austrian and British and I remember them well partly because I still have an old BMW R60 and my buddy still has a 500 and a 650 Triumph.  You know what I remember, they weren't all that great in terms of reliability and maintenance.  Control cables that broke, dim lights, hard starts, flooded carbs, frequent valve adjustments, frequent timing adjustment, weak spark, frequent spark plug cleaning/replacement, heavy vibration, oil leaks, short bulb life, short chain life, lousy oil seals, etc.

I loved them just the same and still do, but my S40 is a lot less work and has never failed to start and always brings me home again.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/01/19 at 15:44:58

[quote author=56445644495A5558531B0 link=1564607286/0#4 date=1564630089]I like "Simple" and this bike is Simple .   The cam chain tension thing is an easy fix , and so is the petcock .   After that ... your good for 150,000 of trouble free ridding !  

Well , except for Tires and I do change my oil every 10,000 miles weather it needs it or not ...  Smiley

Change oil every 10,000 "miles" and you are good for 150,000 "Wath" yards?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/01/19 at 16:12:11

I used to change oil every 1500 miles when I first got the bike. (old school)
...but they do say oil is much better now, and I'm not only cheap but environmental...
I go 3500 to 4000 miles now.
Harley recommends 5,000,.. I think Suzuki is up 7,500 or 8,000.

I'm not That environmental...   Yet...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 08/01/19 at 17:03:51

The handbook recommends 6000km or 4000miles.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 08/02/19 at 07:57:10

Change oil every 10,000 "miles" and you are good for 150,000 "Wath" yards?  

NO Silly ,  Grin

Put in Rotella  T-6 and measure in miles .   Ain't nothing hard about it .   Wink

That stuff is STILL SLICK when ya drain it out next  year , you've been missing out if you haven't discovered it yet .

Keep your idle speed up so the head don't get starved for oil and you can't kill these bikes , unless your really doing something stupid .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/02/19 at 09:59:39

Most of the people I have had on this bike do not like it.  Of the people that do it is primarily females as it's low stance allows them to put both feet on the ground.

There is usually an expectation of more improvements from my 1999's to the current 2019's.  Most people when they see it's mostly the wiring that changed do seem to question why other things like the petcock and tensioner are still the same after all these years.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 08/02/19 at 17:11:27

Most of the people I have had on this bike do not like it.   _

Funny , but most of the folks I know just Love this little bike .  Huh

I did have a feller ask me once , "You've got a Harley , why do you ride that thing " , the assure was easy and very quick --- "Because this bike is a lot more FUN ! "  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:20:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › First impression of the s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.