Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print
Rear Pulley Wobble Fix (Read 2022 times)
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Re: Rear Pulley Wobble Fix
Reply #105 - 03/22/21 at 11:14:27

Hi Mike,

The bike is all back together.  The Double Row Bearing slipped right in with a clunk just as described here.  Armen's spacer was a perfect fit.  Thank you Armen!  Lot's of discussion here about aligning the belt vs. aligning the wheel with the axle notches.  I aligned the belt exactly in the center of the driven sprocket and the notches followed along and aligned perfectly.  So, very happy with the end result.

I did not determine precisely if I had a crack or not.  I did try to clean it with solvent, but it did remain visible although lighter.  I just didn't like the squiggly nature of the line, which is more reminiscent of a crack than a scratch.  $10 for a pristine eBay one and free shipping, so it wasn't worth checking any further.  I'll send it to you on my dime if you're curious.

In the first pic, you can faintly see the line coming up to the edge.  The second is a closeup of the same area, but you can't see the line.

Bob
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #106 - 03/22/21 at 11:41:30

Most welcome! Glad it worked out!
Gotta give a shout out to DBM for inventing the fix.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #107 - 03/22/21 at 12:25:10

Yes, a big thank you to DBM for sure!  A great fix and easy to implement!

Bob
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #108 - 03/22/21 at 22:38:01

I have done around 6000 km since doing this mod by Dragbikemike
At the same time I rubbed beeswax on the sides of the belt
Total silence from the belt now Squeaking and chirping no more !
Suzuki  are you there ?

Hiko   IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #109 - 03/26/21 at 20:08:47

Went out riding with a group today.  First long ride with the new bearing.
Since I am not a long time experienced rider, I did not expect to notice a difference with the double row bearing, but the bike felt more stable especially around corners.  Before it seemed a little squirrely, now it was very stable.  I was much more relaxed.  Don't know if it was my imagination, but it sure seemed better.

Bob
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #110 - 03/27/21 at 05:00:51

I think that might be your imagination.

On a side note.  Group riding is one of the most dangerous ways to spend time on a motorcycle.  Google it.  At the very least, you'll understand what can go wrong and possibly save your life.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #111 - 03/27/21 at 10:14:51

ohiomoto wrote on 03/27/21 at 05:00:51:
 Group riding is one of the most dangerous ways to spend time on a motorcycle.  Google it.  At the very least, you'll understand what can go wrong and possibly save your life.

On our group rides the largest group we ever had that I was on was about 9, and our trip to Texas in a few weeks will have 6 or 7 bikes.  For a group of 2 or 3 other riders is the easiest and most fun.  As you add more than 4 bikes it becomes difficult to keep the group together.  Stop signs and traffic light can break up the group, passing slow cars as a group becomes difficult, it is hard to stay close together and cars can pull out into the gaps and break up the group.

I went to a motorcycle show in my home town and entered the motorcycle show, the slow race - and I also signed up for a Poker Run.  The Poker Run started at a bar and most the riders were having a beer and we got a Poker Card before we rode to the next bar.  There were about 60 bikes and the leaders would block intersections for us to roll through as a group.  The rides between stops was somewhere around 30 minutes, and it seemed we stayed at each new bar for 30 minutes while the riders all had another beer or two!   Although the scenery was good and it was nice to be riding around my old home turf - the quality of the ride was poor.........too many poor riders and motorcycles with straight pipes all around me.  On the last leg the guy right in front of me had a Triumph Rocket 3 with an incredibly loud exhaust - it was very irritating to have to ride behind him.

Look for a local rider that rides similarly to you, and hook up with them for rides.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #112 - 03/27/21 at 10:26:45

Also, not sure I want to ride with folks who have a beer at every stop.  Our group is never more than 7.  We string out pretty good and don't worry about getting separated.  It is a ride to lunch of about 20 minutes and then back.  Always the same core group of old guys who long ago gave up trying to prove anything with noise and speed.  Suits me just fine.

Bob
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #113 - 03/27/21 at 23:17:50

As an older returning rider a few years ago I thought it wise to take a refresher riding course  The end of this consisted of a group ride around the local countryside .
I decided then and there that group rides were not for me
I now ride solo or some times with one other on camping trips
 Mostly solo and wish I had got back to this years ago
 Very happy with the S40 and even happier with the mods done thanks to all on this site

Hiko   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #114 - 06/28/21 at 10:34:07

The original part number posted by DBM at quality bearings isn't coming up any longer.  I do see the other bearing link that a couple folks have used (http://bearingdepot.com/5305-2RS_Bearing?search=5305).  Is this best option for replacing the rear bearing and doing the shoulder on the spacer?

*EDIT* the part number actually comes up at their eBay store.  But is the bearing from Bearing Depot and Supply possibly better quality?  It's $47 vs. $16.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #115 - 06/28/21 at 18:26:41

Like many things in life quality and prices can vary and not always in tandem.  I fitted a chinese 53052rs cheap bearing nearly 2 years and 7000kms ago and have not heard a chirp or squeak since .
I dont believe the rear pulley bearing is under a lot of load
Make sure the bearing is 2rs [2 rubber seals]

Hiko   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #116 - 06/30/21 at 09:09:02

Hiko wrote on 06/28/21 at 18:26:41:
Like many things in life quality and prices can vary and not always in tandem.  I fitted a chinese 53052rs cheap bearing nearly 2 years and 7000kms ago and have not heard a chirp or squeak since .
I dont believe the rear pulley bearing is under a lot of load
Make sure the bearing is 2rs [2 rubber seals]

Same. I ordered two different bearings and both were chinese despite what the ebay ad said. I went ahead and used one of them and have not had issues either, and I have put some pretty agressive mountain riding trips on the bikes since. I was initially worried, but after understanding that this is a minimal load bearing that just carries the pulley I stopped worrying.

I have a new spare Chinese 2rs if someone needs it for the cost of shipping.  Can't remember what I paid for it (maybe $10) but it'll end up lost and never used if it sits in the garage too long. PM me if you need/want it.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #117 - 07/08/21 at 08:58:18

Just to verify, this is the spacer that needs the shoulder turned down, correct?

S40_spacer_small.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #118 - 07/08/21 at 10:24:11

Yes

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #119 - 07/10/21 at 08:55:57

Hey Armen, I PM'd you about your address.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 19:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Pulley Wobble Fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.