Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reg/rec wiring (Read 54 times)
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reg/rec wiring
06/16/19 at 19:11:41

As part of my conversion I'm installing an m.unit and running a new wiring harness.

My own reg/rec has 5 wires going to 2 connectors. The 3 bunch goes to the stator, no problem there.

The 2 bunch goes to another 3 connector. Looking at the diagrams the R/B goes to the mainfuse and back to the battery positive. B/W goes to ground.

The last wire is O/B. Theres nothing from the reg/rec in that port and Im not seeing any tie over for it to connect to the reg/rec. What the heck is this wire?! I see power split from the R/B going to the ignition switch then into the safety circuit eventually leading back to the connector. But the connector isnt sending that O/B anywhere. Is this just an intentional short or what am I missing?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Reg/rec wiring
Reply #1 - 06/16/19 at 19:46:38

There are 5 wire and 6 wire reg/recs  the older bikes had 6 , the red wire fed the ignition switch from the battery when starting , and O/BL fed power back to the O wire coming out of the ignition switch when running . the 5 wire reg/rec ties  the R & O/BL wires together internally .(they are both 12volt +)as long as the red is feeding both Ignition switch and  the battery, your good to go ,the O/BL may just have been left in the wiring harness but is unused, with the 5 wire reg.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #2 - 06/16/19 at 20:03:01

Thanks for the info, weird that they still wired it into the ignition switch connector.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 06/16/19 at 21:02:56

There is a disadvantage to the 6 wire regulator , the O/BL wire that feeds the power to the entire bike is NOT fused , if the regulator fails , it passes a spike of power thru the whole bike and any and all light bulbs that are on at the time will blow and will also need replacement . Ask me how I know ,( 1980 GS 550) Nothing an added in line fuse can't fix.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #4 - 06/16/19 at 21:17:21

Just to double check, the oem wiring has batt positive going to fuse and r/B from Reg/reg going to the same fuse?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 06/17/19 at 04:20:23

Not sure I don't have a diagram for the new bikes ,just the 86-88 Clymer,  try looking in the tech references on the topic page.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 20:47:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reg/rec wiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.