GSX-R 750 front end? (Read 214 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: GSX-R 750 front end?
Reply #15 - 06/04/19 at 10:34:03

Just wanted to share some good news! Turns out that the electronics failures on my Duck are covered by a recall and Ducati is paying for the $4k worth of parts that bike needs.
So much for cannibalizing its front end  Angry

Leaves me with more money to mod Thumpy now  Cool

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 06/04/19 at 13:11:57

$4K worth of parts?  that's scary !   my Savage only cost $ 4,400 new. Kind of makes me remember why I only buy Japanese bikes, and my Savage is the best of all . If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem Grin

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 06/04/19 at 14:32:25

philthymike wrote on 06/04/19 at 10:34:03:
Turns out that the electronics failures on my Duck are covered by a recall and Ducati is paying for the $4k worth of parts that bike needs.

That is the one thing that really scares me about all this modern computer stuff in cars/trucks/motorcycles.  Way back in the 70's they started adding computer ignition systems in cars....and I can remember when the computer went out people would have to pay $1,000 for a new computer.  And similarly they had some weird carbs with electric controls run by some kind of processor - another costly item.  As the 80's came along they seemed to get the engine computers and fuel injection systems to be very reliable, and we really didn't have a choice as cars/trucks all have electronic ignition and fuel injection....only in bikes could we still get carbs.

We are now in an era where the entire dashboard in cars/trucks is computer based - the climate control system, gear shifting, engine starting, windows, lights, air bags, engine monitoring.....and even the status of your light bulbs (Canbus) are monitored!  Most of the modern motorcycles are following the trend - the fuel injection, ignition, speedometer and entire dashboard are all computer controlled.  Just like happened in the 70's when the computers first showed up - we are at the mercy of the manufacturer and likely cannot repair what becomes broken when the "white smoke" comes out of the wiring.  Maybe they have these things pretty bulletproof and the "Disco Lights of Death" are not going to be a common theme - but it is a bit intimidating to know a voltage spike can turn a low mileage motorcycle into a parts bike in a millisecond.

(I am going to go out and do some chatting with the electronic bits on my motorcycles - give them a nice pep talk). Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #18 - 06/04/19 at 18:12:14

Yeah there’s something to be said about dinosaurs. One reason I drove a 1967 Econoline between 91 and 06 was because I could fix just about anything that went wrong with it. It was such a simple machine it wasn’t much more than a horse wagon with an engine.

I imagine that if we got hit with a strategic EMP attack the old LS650 would be among the few modern bikes that we could make run again. Retrofit some points and a couple old selenium rectifiers and you’d be one of them post apocalyptic bikers from Mad Max stealing gas anywhere you could find it.

On the bright side having the Duck back on the road means my plans for Thumpy can carry on. I couldn’t have both bikes off the road.

Anyway as for gixxer forks it’s looking really pricey and short on information in regards to swapping.
The VZ800 fork swap is known and documented enough to be a fork swapping for dummies (like me) book.
So I’m gonna go with them. I’ll be ordering a set this week.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 06/04/19 at 19:11:41

I'd be buying the whole bike, not just the forks,  and sending the Duck down the road. the factory won't fix it forever.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/06/19 at 04:27:04

Since this topic has been dragged off a bit.....I might as well post what I found out last night about Ducati from my local Old Biker Trash dinner last night.  These guys have owned and still own a stable full of Euro bikes, and when we arrive there are always Triumph, Norton, Ducati, BMW, Guzzi and Ural bikes....and some other really unique bikes that include what may be the only Yamaha MT01 in the United States (brought into the US by a Canadian in the military who brought it with him when he moved to the US).

The fellow that currently has a late model Ducati Multi-Strada has been experiencing fuel sender issues ever since the bike was new.  Evidently the sender uses a plastic float that slides up/down on a rod with sensors that identify the height of the float.  The float is made out of nylon, and the ethanol fuel causes it to swell and get stuck on the sensor rod....and ultimately it starts sending out error codes and lights up the dash.  The dealer has replaced 3 of them, and now it has happened again and Ducati won't replace it this time.  Evidently there is a new sender that is made in Japan that will resolve the problem - but the dealer stock is still the old model that creates the problem.  He loves the bike - but not the dealer or Ducati, and although he currently owns 2 Ducati's he said he was not likely to buy another one.

The other fellow has a Ducati Scrambler....and it has been trouble free and a joy to ride - it is his choice when he needs to ride in downtown areas as it is pretty light and nimble.  He has no negative experiences with Ducati.

If you already own one.....I am not sure if you will have a lot of luck trading in or selling it at anywhere close to what you paid for it - it might be a bike you just need to keep and own and ride until it can't be economically maintained anymore (or you just begin to hate it).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #21 - 06/06/19 at 15:47:45

In all fairness this electronics problem has been the only breakdown the bikes had ruling out flat tires. Since I didn’t get any maintenance history from the previous owner I decided better safe than sorry and had a couple big ticket maintenance items done just for my peace of mind.
What my research has found regarding the current issues is that Ducati had a QC problem with their ignition coils which they buy from a manufacturer in Spain. The coils had a tendency to short out. When they did it caused a huge voltage spike that fries all of the sensitive electronics. So a $44 part causes a cascade failure that brings down thousands of dollars worth of parts elsewhere.
They issued a recall to add a protection device that would suppress the spike should it occur.
Unfortunately I never got the notice. Last year I scheduled for an appointment at the shop to have them check that the bike has had all of its recall work done. The day of the appointment was all thunderstorms so I cancelled and went back on the waiting list. Before another appointment came up the shop went out of business. Soon after the bike blew up.
Luck of the draw I suppose.

But to ride that Ducati is a thing of wonder. The people who designed the bike were absolute geniuses. I can’t really put words to the experience of it. It’s like Slim Pickens riding a nuclear bomb and waving his cowboy hat while doing it. It’s engineered with a singular focus and that focus is performance. And Ducati knows it well. And unlike many other brands of bikes, their bikes have lots of personality. Tons of it. This last is what attracted me to the thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:32:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GSX-R 750 front end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.