Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
GSX-R 750 front end?
06/02/19 at 16:21:12

I saw this here
https://bikebrewers.com/suzuki-ls650-scrambler/

Anyone know the gory details about swapping the gixxer front end onto an ls650?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: GSX-R 750 front end?
Reply #1 - 06/02/19 at 19:19:28

An outfit named Cognito Moto makes steering stems to put Gixxer front ends on almost any bike. They used to have a CB350 on their site with a Gixxer front end.
I'm using their stuff on my Airhead BMW project. Only grief is that the Gixxer forks are about 3" shorter than the BMW ones.
And they make a billet front hub in either 36 or 40 spoke that can take the original Gixxer brake rotors and mate to the Gixxer front forks.
They make some pretty cool stuff.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/02/19 at 19:23:54

Great forks, but what's keeping the swingarm (stock ?) aligned ?  I don't think the bearings on the pivot shaft will  be long lived, the added weight of the large tire and the added metal disks wont help.  the chain is bone tight, and the swingarm isn't even level (where the chain is stretched to it's max) , one good speed bump and your in trouble!  A straight pipe exhaust doesn't  do it for me either . It's just another all show, no go, custom.  I guess that's why they build bikes to sell rather than keep. It's to dangerous to even test ride.

« Last Edit: 06/03/19 at 06:16:02 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 06/02/19 at 19:45:48

Armen wrote on 06/02/19 at 19:19:28:
An outfit named Cognito Moto makes steering stems to put Gixxer front ends on almost any bike. They used to have a CB350 on their site with a Gixxer front end.
I'm using their stuff on my Airhead BMW project. Only grief is that the Gixxer forks are about 3" shorter than the BMW ones.
And they make a billet front hub in either 36 or 40 spoke that can take the original Gixxer brake rotors and mate to the Gixxer front forks.
They make some pretty cool stuff.

Good info sir! Yeah this is some very cool stuff.
https://cognitomoto.com/collections/all-products/custom

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/03/19 at 03:33:32

If you look at the fork yokes for the Gixer - you will see that the fork tubes are very close to the steering stem.....there is very little offset.

The Savage on the other hand has a very significant offset, and the fork tubes are significantly forward in the yokes.

When I was building my Cafe', I used yokes from a Suzuki RM250, as the fork tubes were the same diameter and top yoke had a clamp that would allow me to drop the tubes to lower the front end without installing the RYCA spacers that limit fork travel.  It seemed like a good idea at the time - however it affected the steering in a very bad way.......reducing the offset increases the trail, and makes the bike steer like a truck!  It tracked fine and went around corners well - but when you got to a corner and needed to turn....the bike took a large amount of pressure on the handlebars to get the turn started.  MMRanch rode my bike and when he got off he said that entering the turns - "Felt like he was trying to bend a board!".

Here is a photo that shows the stock yoke and the RM250 yoke.

The sport bikes have much steeper fork angles and work great with the small offset - the Savage with the cruiser styling and shallower fork angle needs the larger offset to steer well - and I would expect that using the GIXXER fork yokes without changing the angle of the steering head is going to make for a very stiff steering motorcycle.

The "custom" Savage that you linked is most likely pushed around a lot to get to the shows......and they may actually never ride it (it doesn't have a license plate, turns signals, mirrors or any noticeable wear on the tires). I would love to see a Motorcycle magazine do road tests on some of these "show bikes", and comment on how well they do (or likely don't) ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 06/03/19 at 07:05:16

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 06/03/19 at 07:21:29

You might be interested in this as well...Ducati Hypermotard fork...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1495634152/0

« Last Edit: 06/03/19 at 10:41:06 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 06/03/19 at 10:09:00

I don't want to cut down anyone elses build, to each his own, BUT I see a few things on that bike I would not like.
No rear fender? Looks cool but NOT practical if you want to really ride it.
Super small rear turn signals? Might be legal? But I perfer people see mine BEFORE they hit me.
Notice the red rag tween the tank and fork? That tells me they hit. Some new stoppers could be put on to limit travel, but then you lose your turn radis.
I have no issue with someone building a bike just for show, or nice Sunday rides. I just hope they know they will be limited. Everyone rides a little different. I take trips on my bikes and live in S. Fl. so no rear fender or cargo abilty is not a option.
I have a friend that built and judged big-time show bikes, when he showed his last bike to me it was PRETTY, but 3 years old and never been ridden.
Again, TO EACH HIS OWN!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 06/03/19 at 10:47:42

I updated that post with pictures of the finished bike (with rag removed).  Looks like the owner enjoying his creation.  MORE POWER TO 'EM!

Can't wait to see what philthymike does if he decides to go with a new front end. He has a Ducati at his disposal....haha.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 06/03/19 at 14:23:36

ohiomoto wrote on 06/03/19 at 10:47:42:
I updated that post with pictures of the finished bike (with rag removed).  Looks like the owner enjoying his creation.  MORE POWER TO 'EM!

Can't wait to see what philthymike does if he decides to go with a new front end. He has a Ducati at his disposal....haha.

Crap now I can’t unsee it. That thing is hotness. And I just learned today that every scrap of electronics in my Ducati is fried  Undecided

But the reason I’m inquiring about this is because I’ve been contemplating putting the Marauder front end on Thumpy but there’s a nagging voice in my head that keeps saying it’s alot of work for non-adjustable forks I may or may not like.
Same deal with my Ducati’s forks. My Hyperstrada differs from the Hypermotard in having forks with no adjustments. I’d been thinking about putting HM forks on my HS but now I might just be parting it out.

In any case I think I should put adjustable forks on Thumpy if I’m gonna do All the work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/03/19 at 15:04:53

Marauder forks are springless, are double clamping and have cartridge type damping.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 06/03/19 at 17:29:11

A bit off topic but wanted to post it here just in case.
Custom fork tubes. Lists the LS650 too!
http://franksforks.com/products/suzuki-fork-tubes/

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 06/03/19 at 20:22:49

verslagen1 wrote on 06/03/19 at 15:04:53:
Marauder forks are springless, are double clamping and have cartridge type damping.

The specs say coil spring forks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/03/19 at 20:47:31

philthymike wrote on 06/03/19 at 20:22:49:
verslagen1 wrote on 06/03/19 at 15:04:53:

The specs say coil spring forks.

depends on year.  I bought 02, might be 97-04
also those years have a triple tree with similar offset and stops like the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #14 - 06/04/19 at 02:53:23

Cognito Moto will make custom triple clamps to whatever specs you want. No, they aren't free :-0

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:50:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GSX-R 750 front end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.