Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Epoxy Test for Port Mods (Read 152 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Epoxy Test for Port Mods
Reply #15 - 05/07/19 at 00:03:06

Now I started testing the adhesion using a proper anchor profile.  The original JB Weld had less than satisfactory adhesion, it failed partially in the epoxy but also pulled away from the nut in some areas.  It handled a weight of 60 lbs. and held it for 28 minutes before it let go.  That works out to about 231 psi.  I’d say this is pretty good stuff, but I would prefer better adhesion.  The epoxy will only be used as a filler material, it won’t carry any appreciable load.  I want to be sure it sticks to the port, so I am more concerned with bond than I am with tensile strength.

Std_JB_Failure_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 05/07/19 at 00:03:58

The High Heat product failed exactly where I want it to fail, in the middle of the epoxy.  It also handled 60 lbs. (231 psi) but only for 14 minutes.  Note that you can’t see any part of the nuts, you can only see epoxy.  The bond was stronger than the epoxy material.

High_Heat_Failure__2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 05/07/19 at 00:05:14

The Extreme Heat product also failed exactly where I want it to fail, in the middle of the cement.  Unfortunately, it failed at a load of only 10 lbs (39 psi).  That’s just way too low.  I’m thinkin that the substrate and filler will constantly be expanding and contracting at different rates.  That will subject the bond line to cyclic shear stress.  This stuff is so weak that I think the brittle filler will start breaking up.  I won’t be using it in this uncaptured application.  Also note all the gas holes.  This is crazy stuff.

Ext_Heat_Failure_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 05/07/19 at 00:07:24

Based on the results of my tests, I decided to use the JB Wed High Heat product for my intake port modifications.  Not only does it appear to have better adhesion, the fact that it’s a putty rather than a paste makes it much easier to apply and form into the shape you want inside the port.  It’s in my head right now, and it’s runnin good.  I have 94 miles on the epoxy mod and all seems well.  I pulled the carb and manifold off to get a look at how the epoxy is holding up.  Here’s how it looked after 94 miles.

94_Mile_Inspection_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 05/07/19 at 00:08:15

Here’s a shot from another angle.

94_Mile_Inspection_5_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 05/07/19 at 00:14:21

I know that 94 miles isn't much of a test but I figured it was prudent to make sure it wasn't falling apart before something ugly happened.  It looks good to me.

Aside from some discoloration, it looks solid.  I will probably do another inspection around 500 miles.  I’ll let you know the results.

For now, filling in the Dipsy-Doodle (DD) in the exhaust port will be on hold.  Flow tests showed decent improvements when the DD was filled in, but If I can’t come up with a suitable filler, I will never find out how well it works in the real world.

I have looked at some literature on a couple of possibilities.  Blue Magic 8024 Thermo Steel is billed as “suitable for aluminum application”.  There’s another product, Pyro Putty 2400.  Do any of you have any experience with either of these products?

Manley used to sell a product called 40180 Miracle Epoxy.  It was intended for exhaust ports.  I called Manley to inquire about it and the rep said they discontinued it.  I imagine because it can’t hack the heat.  I can find some venders that say they have the 40180, but when I try to order I always get “out-of-stock”.  Any of you have any experience with this Manley product?

If any of you have experience (good or bad) with filling in exhaust ports with some sort of ceramic paste or possibly even epoxy, please let us all know the specifics.

I hope some of you find this information useful.  My stage II head with epoxy modified intake port feels really good.  I am hoping to get it on a dyno soon, then I will have some hard data.

Knowledge is power.

Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/06/19 at 09:36:38

It would be interesting to see if applying a vacuum would remove the porosity.
That's certainly why you're getting low strength values as the porosity reduces the cross section.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 08/06/19 at 11:07:43

Stirring creates tiny bubbles
Maybe spreading it thin on your mixing pallet and let it exhale, stick your palm sander in a vise and hold your pallet on it, shake the crap outta the epoxy, and of course, using anything from bondo to JB Weld, the first swipe has to wet the surface by pressing the adhesive tight into the surface.
A vacuum would be a great idea.
I've used compressors from dead refrigerators, and they are good enough to pull the A.C. system down on the car.
I've used a retired breathing treatment nebulizer to bleed brakes,
Be creative,,
I tapped into the vacuum on the bike to suck a storage bag down to make some clothes smaller to fit in my saddlebags..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #23 - 08/06/19 at 16:36:26

Hey DBM,
Thanks for all your hard work and sharing the info with us!
FWIW, I used JB weld on the intake port of our 250 Bultaco 2 stroke racer in the late 80's/early 90's. The ports were crap, and the port to cylinder liner alignment was comical. Many races, and an AHRMA national championship in the 250GP class with never a problem with the goop.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 08/06/19 at 23:33:09

Armen, thanks for the info regarding the Bultaco epoxy job.  It's always reassuring to get input based on personal experience.  Sounds like your Taco was major fast and the JB Weld held up good.  

Versy & JOG, the epoxy product did not have a porosity issue.  It's a two-part epoxy and it had ample strength and adhesion.  I used it in the intake port and it is holding up well.  The product with low strength and major pososity is a water base paste.  It's strange stuff.  I'm thinkin if I subjected it to a vacuum it might not cure.  I guess it's possible that if I pulled enough vacuum it would cause the water to flash off.  Not sure how it would set up like that.

The interesting thing about the gas holes and porosity is that it didn't seem to develop those issues until I cooked it.  When I initially applied the Extreme Heat paste and let it cure for several days, I blended it into the substrate with a die grinder and porting roll.  Although it exhibited a sand-like porosity (sort of like sandstone), it didn't have craters and gas holes.  The big craters and gas holes don't seem to show up until I cook it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:05:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Epoxy Test for Port Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.