Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Runs Full RPM after carb rebuild (Read 126 times)
TimK
YaBB Newbies

Canby Oregon
Runs Full RPM after carb rebuild
04/28/19 at 11:20:24

Rebuilt and reinstalled Carb.
Started up immediately and then runs at almost full throttle even with choke on /off...

Here is what occurred...

Bike sat too long over winter and fuel slugged carb...

I took carb apart and cleaned most things.
left mixture and idle screws alone.
Left float on and sprayed through valve, didn't measure or change adjustment.
Reassembled and reinstalled.

… it ran ok but I got fuel overflow out the vent tubes.
figured the float shutoff needle and such was going bad.
had a bit of slope to driveway too.

So I ordered a carb pro kit from amazon.
Not all the jets would fit, and had a tube and such that didn't even apply to this carb.
I did order a replacement kit and they sent an identical kit with issues.

Replaced most jets,
I did notice the float valve close contact was under 1" (just touching without compressing shock pin)
I had to adjust it quite a ways to get 1.080 (1.06 to 1.114)
Put mixture screw 2 1/2 turns... same as original position.
made no idle adjustment.

Reinstalled Carb. Started up immediately and then runs at almost full throttle even with choke on /off...

So, any hints before I remove it again would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley

I did put a raptor fuel shutoff on and cap the vacuum port.
There is no fuel overflowing the vent.
turning mixture screw doesn't seem to help... many turns out caused backfire on startup.

1996 LS650... also TW200
in work on GL500, GL650, & CX650
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Runs Full RPM after carb rebuild
Reply #1 - 04/28/19 at 11:29:02

The side is stuck - probably wasn't reassembled correctly. BTW, not that it would make it go WOT, but what jets did you put tin the carb? I would never just use some random jets hat came in a kit.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/28/19 at 12:06:26

The only time I had a racing throttle on start up was when I had an issue with the cable.

WWW   IP Logged
TimK
YaBB Newbies

Canby Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/28/19 at 12:33:25

Ok, found the issue... Throttle cable worked up from its cable end seat on the carb.
The throttle had rolled and snapped back which made me believe it wasn't binding.
I probably caught it when I was shifting the tank side to side moving it forward into place...
Its idling good so far, so once warm, I'll read into setting mixture and idle.

As for jets Gary, I'm not positive on all the correct names. The kit didn't have any number on their jets, so I swapped them if they looked identical.

I reused the original #145 main jet in the float bowl. Nothing in the kit matched.

Reused the original #230 Pilot air jet in the top... its replacement orifice was smaller.
90 degrees around from that on top I replaced the #45 which looked choked.

I replaced the needle and put it on the middle clip setting that closely matched the one clip position on the original.

The new O-ring and fuel filter cap went on the original float valve seat (jet?). I cleaned the cone best I could,..
the new one had a much smaller diameter lip that the filter wouldn't snap to it.
I did replace the float valve (piston?) that attaches to the float.

Also, I reused the old float bowl gasket,..
Though looking identical, the new one was too big in dimensions and wouldn't sit in the carb lips without puckering excessively... kinda like it was made from a photo image but came out as 105%. center of mounting holes was slightly expanded.

« Last Edit: 04/28/19 at 14:43:17 by TimK »  

1996 LS650... also TW200
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/28/19 at 14:19:19

Have you been able to road test it yet ?
If so how did it run for you ?

IP Logged
TimK
YaBB Newbies

Canby Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/28/19 at 14:54:23

original issue solved, hi rpm gone...
and so far it died after warmed and running off choke for a lil bit...

I turned up idle and it runs then fumbles.
each restart I keep doing that and it continues..

IE:... if I give a slight throttle increase and hold, it smooths momentarily then stumbles, then I increase throttle little more, same result, add and repeat as the throttle position climbs... so it's looking for more air.

I ended up backing out the mix screw to 4 1/2 turns to lean and it got better .. but still not smooth or enough to remain idling

I shot a lil bit starting fluid into air box to simulate a richer mix and it stalled..
So my guess is it's way to rich and fouling out (no backfires)
don't like that i'm so far out from 2 1/2 turns mix  Huh

1996 LS650... also TW200
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/28/19 at 16:11:54

I ended up backing out the mix screw to 4 1/2 turns to lean and it got better .. but still not smooth or enough to remain idling.

The screw controls gas.
Not air.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 04/28/19 at 19:58:25

What Justin said ,backing out the mix screw adds fuel ,not air. I hope you saved all the parts you took out, the kit you ordered not being correct, you should have cleaned the stock parts and reused them (except for my main jet, I have for 25 years). You say you swapped jet needles - bad move ! especially if you didn't swap the matching needle jet ( the cylinder the needle jet slides into) . and I'd  suspect the kit didn't contain the right one for this bike anyway , allowing an improper  fuel flow to enter the carb ( and make sure the brass washer is fitted between the main jet and the needle jet to hold it firmly up into the carb body). I'd also return to all stock jets , not unmarked jets from the new kit, the old jets can be soaked /sprayed with carb cleaner and reamed with strands of copper electric wire- lamp cord? ( copper is softer than the brass jets so won't harm them).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 04/29/19 at 05:21:54

Batman is right.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 04/29/19 at 06:13:13

Yep, should have kept and cleaned the stock parts, and not just the jets.  All the holes in the carb body also need to be chased to insure they are clear and free flowing.  There are quite a few and many are “tiny”.
Then try starting and after a considerable warm up period tune the pilot screw.

That is your starting point.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 04/29/19 at 06:32:40

The basic rule of thumb is that stock it right.  So you want/should be able to get and keep a bike running relatively well with stock parts.  You only start performance tuning and/or changing things once you have everything running reliably. Otherwise, you'll have no clue what the hell is wrong.

Overall, it sounds like you were on the right track.  You were addressing the float needle. You just went off track when you started swapping jets.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/29/19 at 11:59:29

And when you address the float valve you'll need to remove the float ( the pin only comes out in one direction -there's a head on one end, the other is slightly tapered)  then remove the horseshoe shaped retainer so you can slide out the valve seat to check the o-ring on the outside of it ,(if it's old /damaged fuel will leak around the valve and flood the bowl)  .then check the tip of the valve ,if there's a circle grove in the tip it's worn and the valve and seat need replacement (they're sold as a matching set). don't forget to set the float level last.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/29/19 at 18:15:59

TimK wrote on 04/28/19 at 12:33:25:
I replaced the needle and put it on the middle clip setting that closely matched the one clip position on the original.

The new O-ring and fuel filter cap went on the original float valve seat (jet?). I cleaned the cone best I could,..
the new one had a much smaller diameter lip that the filter wouldn't snap to it.
I did replace the float valve (piston?) that attaches to the float.

I just got burned with a similar problem. Did you buy one of the generic rebuild kits? If so I noticed a ton of discrepancies between it and the OEM parts. So much so that I ended up junking it.

Does your needle have positions? If so it is incorrect and will not perform the same as stock. Also, if you haven't changed the jet needle it sinks into you have to as they are a matched pair.

Also, the fuel valve I got was much taller than stock. You'd have to adjust the float correctly in order to compensate for it but then it's out of spec. Plus my new fuel valve had a plastic screen that was half cast wrong and didnt look like it would let enough fuel in anyway.

Anyway, $30 lost but I learned a valuable lesson, don't buy a cheap flea bay / Amazon carb rebuild kit buy OEM.

IP Logged
TimK
YaBB Newbies

Canby Oregon
Reply #13 - 04/30/19 at 23:20:43

LiftdT4R,
Yea amazon kit purchase, said it was the one available for the LS650...
(Actually had an issue with a chrome battery that the posts were to big, had to clip one side of the terminal...)

But, similar issue with the carb kit, think i described most... so the new inlet screen i put on the origional valve... and with just using the needle i used origional clip depth which was the middle position.

I'll have to wait for this or next wekend to get back to it...
here's the original clean disassembly and reassembly

0421192111-20.jpg

1996 LS650... also TW200
  IP Logged
TimK
YaBB Newbies

Canby Oregon
Reply #14 - 04/30/19 at 23:22:57

here's the 2 kits, inlet screen matches old, but outside seat diameter of new valve is too small for screen to attach

0424191814-20.jpg

1996 LS650... also TW200
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 12:37:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Runs Full RPM after carb rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!