meatcarnival
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust options
06/08/17 at 15:47:36

This is the current exhaust I have right now:

https://goo.gl/photos/pRT8YxL5HDzyifPWA

I think it may be a Harley something or other (bought the bike with the majority of the work already done, I have since de-hardtailed it and performed the cam chain adjuster mod).  Point being is that there is nothing in the muffler, it is straight through and has some holes throughout the inner walls of it.  I am assuming this means I am running what would essentially be a straight-pipe, which is no bueno for my power or my valves (although correct me if I am wrong!)

I am wondering if I added a smaller slip on for the end of the header pipe but with some sort of baffle/restrictor in it, would it be quieter/let the engine breathe more appropriately?

Looking at something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-2004-Suzuki-Savage-LS650-Radiant-Cycles-Shorty-G...

I know it is shorter, but if it has baffles, it would probably provide more restriction than the one I have now, plus would look a little nicer in my opinion  Grin

Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Exhaust options
Reply #1 - 06/08/17 at 15:53:32

Better sound, power, lighter weight, good looking Dyna muffler.
AND, getting help tuning is easy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #2 - 06/08/17 at 15:55:05

There are certainly others on here who know more than me, but I think there is more back pressure with the baffles.  I was, however, dismayed when I saw that the exterior header pipe was so large in dia. but then the actual header pipe (inside the outer one) was so much smaller.  I have a hunch that this arrangement provides a lot of restriction by itself.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 06/08/17 at 16:00:57

Sorry to disagree, but I tried the Dyna routine and I was so unimpressed.  I ended up going back to original.  It is definitely lighter weight though.

On the original, I tried to drill in extra holes in the back of it, and it was louder, but caused more "popping" and gurgling when shifting, that I welded shut the holes and went back to stock.

I didn't think either was worth it.

As it is originally jetted, it is too lean at the low range (approx. 1/8th throttle), I think it still needs re-jetted richer which I will do in the future.

I figured out that I liked quiet better - especially when taking the back roads through the North Carolina mountains and woods.

Right now, I measured it pretty closely, and I get 60 mpg. running stock and quiet.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
meatcarnival
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/08/17 at 16:06:54

I also forgot to mention that this is an '87 Savage, so it has the richer tune that was axed in '88.  There is no backfiring in its current configuration, which means that it is close to running at the right fuel jetting.  I think...lol

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 06/08/17 at 20:52:23

I went to the site but It won't allow me to see your pictures,you can tell if you have a HD muffler buy looking at the side of the muffler that faces the rear wheel it is stamped into the chrome with the part number.If it is an HD with the baffle removed you can go to a parts store ,buy a 1 1/4 inch soft plug ,for a couple of bucks and drive it half way down the muffler from the inlet end ,to restore the muffler to stock .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 06/08/17 at 21:53:46

Mutha Fugga, that is one ugly exhaust.

@piedmontbuckeye, have to disagree with you about the noise on the Dyna, it sounds way better than the OEM which is plain insipid, you get a nice cracking sound when you open up the Dyna but as has been pointed out in other threads when you're not fully on the gas, the Dyna is nice an quiet.

batman wrote on 06/08/17 at 20:52:23:
I went to the site but It won't allow me to see your pictures

Loaded them up here...

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 06/08/17 at 23:35:34

Wow that's an ugly muffler. Looks like it's off a tank or something. Begone! But, the GP shorty is gonna be hella loud and you will hate your life after half an hour with it.

@piedmontbuckeye, if the header pipe was the size of the outside pipe, that engine really wouldn't breath as well. It's a good cosmetic thing, though. It'd look a bit lame with a tiny (but properly sized) header on that engine. FWIW, I don't remember any of the Savage guys trying a large bore header but some of the Enfield crew have tried and gone back to the stock header after losing bottom end grunt, such as it is on an Enfield.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 06/09/17 at 04:39:23

Go with the Dyna: easy to fit (look it up on the forum), looks great, lighter, relatively easy to tune, only a bit louder than stock but sounds good, can be found cheap (New Harley owners throw them out).

If you want louder, do a search on the forum. The Supertrapp seems to be a popular alternative.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 06/09/17 at 08:13:23

You certainly do not want a header the size of the outside tube, that is way too big.
MAC has produced an exhaust system with a header that has a 1 3/4" ID and after riding almost 1000 miles with it installed I can definitely say it is too large.  No surprise there.   Asked on our engine size and power output 1 5/8" ID is the largest useable size for a MODIFIED engine, and 1 1/2" ID for a stock engine.
The MAC header causes a loss of power throughout the rpm range.
** I do like their muffler though, it has a nice sound.
I do not know if they are sold separately.

IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #10 - 06/09/17 at 08:45:55

LANCER wrote on 06/09/17 at 08:13:23:
You certainly do not want a header the size of the outside tube, that is way too big.
MAC has produced an exhaust system with a header that has a 1 3/4" ID and after riding almost 1000 miles with it installed I can definitely say it is too large.  No surprise there.   Asked on our engine size and power output 1 5/8" ID is the largest useable size for a MODIFIED engine, and 1 1/2" ID for a stock engine.
The MAC header causes a loss of power throughout the rpm range.
** I do like their muffler though, it has a nice sound.
I do not know if they are sold separately.

Can the stock header be used with the MAC exhaust?

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/09/17 at 09:10:42

That little muffler you linked from Ebay says: "Sounds nice and loud like GP bikes."  I don't believe it has a baffle.....it has a hollow center tube with some packing around it (glass pack).

The original muffler you have most likely was not straight through - until somebody drove a steel rod through it to knock out the little plate that used to send the exhaust into the outer shell of the muffler.

The DYNA is a good muffler for a stock engine.....I am not sure it is the most appropriate looking muffler for a bobber.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/09/17 at 10:07:25

IF someone is wanting The Tuned Exhaust, stick a Supertrapp on it. But they are IckSpensive,, and louder than the Dyna.  
Supertrapp make a shorty.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/09/17 at 11:44:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/09/17 at 10:07:25:
IF someone is wanting The Tuned Exhaust, stick a Supertrapp on it. But they are IckSpensive,, and louder than the Dyna.  
Supertrapp make a shorty.

The back-pressure is adjustable, but I haven't checked to see if the volume/length co-responds to any rpm.

WWW   IP Logged
meatcarnival
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/09/17 at 15:02:08

Alright looks like I will be grabbing a Dyna muffler...looks much shorter than mine and quieter (which is not a bad thing, this one on the highway makes my ears ring after 15 minutes).

Thanks for all the help!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/25/24 at 05:33:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.