Deb's recovery. (Read 90 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Deb's recovery.
04/18/19 at 13:30:54

Dave...I am taking it your sweetheart mended well....????

« Last Edit: 04/19/19 at 07:27:12 by Dave »  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What are your summer plans?
Reply #1 - 04/18/19 at 13:39:35

My wife Deb is still recovering from the dive accident she had last July.  She is walking again and can function somewhat normally - however she still has neuropathy from the waist down.  She walks pretty much by memory as she doesn't really feel her feet touch the ground...uneven terrain is difficult for her, and her muscles are not fully responsive. Her muscles and joints have become stiff as she is not able to be as active as normal.

The prognosis is still positive - but the recovery of her nerve function is a lengthy process and may take another year or more.  She is in good spirits and has never become depressed about this - she is thankful that she can walk again and has the potential for a nearly full recovery.
Smiley

We have taken one hour long ride on the motorcycle recently, and we are planning on taking a 2 day overnight motorcycle trip with another couple sometime this summer.  We will soon be riding on some longer rides in preparation to make sure she can sit on the bike for the overnight trip. (She doesn't like riding on cool or windy days so we have not been able to take any long rides yet this year).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/18/19 at 16:17:11

Well gee Dave, that sure sounds like it has been a hurdle.....

Not sure if you know this, but my wife couldn't walk on her own for almost 2 years, because of a accident.
Without going into of all the hardship and how life seems unfair, etc.....
Let me tell you what did come of it, that most likely would never had, if she hadn't experienced this episode in her life.

Bedridden, she kept her mind active by stringing beads together and making jewelry.
Creating something positive.
She learned to make these beads, and has become a pretty famous glass bead artist.
It has been so successful that it has allowed us to make many different choices in our life, giving us that type of control.

It will all be in the book I am writing, about this car accident we were in, not at fault, but no resolution via the rigged court system  Grin

It will be about something much greater, and more sustainable, than what man can do......
If we just ask for help from He who is able  Wink

Praying that you two find a new gift from what you have endured, we already know you guys are worthy!  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/18/19 at 18:42:57

Dang, Dave, I just figured she was back to 100% a long time ago. I had no idea you could follow the guidelines and still get so injured. I'm very sorry for the both of you.
Would a stationary bike be good for her? Exercise without risk? Or is that risky?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/18/19 at 19:00:53

Jog:

She has just recently started working on a treadmill again, and she has ridden a bicycle and it went well - her balance is not affected and she had no trouble riding the bicycle on the flat Florida ground where her sister lives.....riding in KY might be a bit challenging as we have very little flat ground except for the bottom land along the rivers.  I wanted to get her a bicycle that had electric help so she could get up the hills....she wasn't keen on the idea of spending more money and having a heavier bicycle to load onto the car hauler.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/18/19 at 20:43:41

Apparently she's in better shape than I was thinking.
I was thinking a stationary bike would be a step up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/19/19 at 04:52:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/18/19 at 20:43:41:
Apparently she's in better shape than I was thinking.

Her problem is that her legs and feet have very little feeling....and they "burn" as she describes it.  It is very similar to the feeling you get when you sit weird too long and your leg goes to sleep.  You know how unsteady and stiff you are when you try to walk with one or both legs asleep....this is pretty much what she is dealing with all the time.

As a result of this  some of her muscles are difficult to control and it takes a bit more "advance notice" for her to get them moving.  When walking on uneven ground she has to occasionally catch herself, as her feet/legs did not feel the ground rise or drop....she can stumble and trip easily.  (Since the bicycle pedals are always the same rotation it is pretty easy for her - but she has far less strength than she used to have.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/19/19 at 07:02:14

Dave I have seen this diagnosis and post-event recovery in the past when I worked in a medical center.  I am not a credentialed provider in rehabilitative therapy.

That being said I have witnessed tai chi, in conjunction with prescribed physical therapy, work well for providing measurable improvements with balance, gait, and dexterity of the lower extremities.  

It may be beneficial as it can be practiced in the home, (I recommend human instruction over video) and by design focuses on core movement and deliberate extremity movement over muscle gain that often times translates into improvements upon repetitive/random action.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Deb's recovery.
Reply #8 - 04/19/19 at 07:30:59

Deb is going to Yoga, Pilates and a therapist who is working on her "core alignment".  She is also doing "red light therapy" and has some electric device where she puts her feet in a bucket with electrolyte on two sides and it runs a current up one leg and down the other...then the polarity is reversed and send the current the other way.  In addition to that she has recently started at Planet Fitness on the treadmill, and they have a red light therapy booth and a water massage table.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 04/19/19 at 08:06:36

Dave......
It sounds like your wife is very self motivating, which is such a good thing, a wonderful asset and tool to have in battling her condition.....
Not sure if I have ever shared this before, but I have a physical condition from a botched back surgery that left my right leg with nerve damage.
Golly, this was almost 40 years ago, and I have been living with it since.
Its common name is called "drop foot" as I have no ability to raise my right foot upward utilizing the ankle joint, and to some effect, the knee even, tho that really isn't the primary function of the knee.
I can't tell whats under my foot, if its cold, hot, level, or what....
I had to have toe nail roots removed because they would not grow properly, often growing the nail back into my skin, getting bad infections, etc.
My leg muscles have all experienced atrophy, and this is what she will really needs to focus on.    
When one muscle doesn't do its job, another will try to do it, and that will cause a domino effect and throw out the "balance" of what the bodies mind functions is telling it to do.....
Yes, it can do amazing reprogramming, as evidenced by examples of people born without a limb, say hands, and they become very adapt at using their feet, to do functions the hands are suppose to do....AMAZING!
I have been in braces, etc, to help me walk, but I feel those just exacerbate the atrophy issues, and rarely use them. I need to be very careful of where I am walking, as tripping is a very real threat and danger...I ALWAYS use hand rails on stairs for example.

Anyway, sorry for the long wind.....

I have found the best therapy is to be diligent about working these muscles out with weights and stretching, tho atrophy will come, that you can't stop, but you can postpone lots of it until you get too old, unable, etc, to keep up the routine.
It sounds like she is getting good advice, as the "core" is a major component to keeping the body functioning to its fullest ability.....
It is like working the cause (muscles) in reverse, from where the "injury"  is rooted....not sure if that makes sense  Cheesy

Well golly, you two keep up the good spirits, that is prolly the greatest factor of all  Smiley

Happy Easter!  

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #10 - 04/19/19 at 09:38:33

Prayers to all.  Happy Easter !

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/19/19 at 11:35:18

Thank You for letting us know how she is doing. I'm just stunned to learn that even going by all the intelligent rules for safe diving, one can have such an event and the repercussions can be so long lasting and debilitating. If you think it would be something she would want to hear, I wish you would tell her she has a few people who don't even know her really pulling for her. And I know it's not easy on you, seeing her struggle. My best to both of you.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/19/19 at 12:00:39

I have been sharing these posts with her.....she knows you are all caring and pulling for her recovery.

She has been diving since the 70's and is an experienced and very careful diver....we did everything right and well below the allowable maximums.

We believe the issue was the result of the broken ankle and foot surgeries she had a couple years ago.  Evidently the scar tissue can result in tissue that has abnormal circulation....and as a result the nitrogen cannot outgas normally in that scar tissue.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 04/19/19 at 14:23:00

Oh gee Dave...... I didn't know it made her blind too  Shocked ..........  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 04/19/19 at 18:10:37

You mean she doesn't even Know Dave wears chaps and Speedos?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 21:53:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Deb's recovery.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.