Send Topic Print
Valves maybe... (Read 148 times)
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valves maybe...
04/05/19 at 09:15:40

Couldn't find the info I need trying to do a search so I'm asking here. I'll start off with bike putts and sputters when getting past half throttle. It's rich now, spark plug is black but was doing the same lean. I'm pretty sure the valves are adjusted properly but can't find the specs. I think that's my problem. Stock carb, 165 main currently, I'll go back to 150 because it's not a gas issue, 42.5 pilot, 1 washer spacer on the needle, but did the same thing without any mods to carb, aftermarket exhaust with baffle, Stock airbox, intake manifold good no leaks. Coil within spec, stator and pickup coil good. It's a 2002 frame,  96 bottom end, 87 head and valves. 96 wireharness. Has the same problem no matter what I've done to the carb. I'm thinking valve's. Someone text me please 863 440 1070 if you got an answer. Thanks.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Valves maybe...
Reply #1 - 04/05/19 at 09:33:49

Factory gap on the valves is .005  Need more info on the carb (is it from the 87 or 96 or other?) what muffler are you running? what is your local/elevation above sea level?  165 main and 42.5 pilot? (should be 52.5 stock for a 96 -47.5 for a 87 carb, )  and only one washer for a spacer mod -all sound like they would have you running Very rich. the motor maybe bogging from to much fuel, at anything over idle.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/05/19 at 09:35:59

Well, 165 main with one washer on the needle is crazy rich!

Now that that's out of the way, I would suspect the diaphragm assembly or "slide" is getting stuck at half throttle.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/05/19 at 09:37:38

Have you checked the petcock?

WWW   IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/05/19 at 09:57:48

ShockedCarb is from the 87 I believe. I was thinking it seemed like it's starving. Petcock seems to be functioning properly,  could be the inline filter? Crazy rich to rule out gas flow problem. Sea level,  yeah sorry meant 47.5. Float adjusted also. Might eliminate the fuel filter while I'm at it. Pre filter in tank anyway. Diaphragm is good so is slide. I thought .05 thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/05/19 at 10:09:11

stock petcocks have a diaphragm to shut off the gas when off.
these diaphragms can harden or develop holes with age.
check the vac line for gas.

WWW   IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/05/19 at 10:19:21

Definitely not petcock. Working as should.

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/05/19 at 10:46:27

Picture of diaphragm

20190405_134556.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/05/19 at 11:22:59

Did you put a wrench on it and Then it started doing that?
Can you tell us anything about what happened between it running well and then Not?
Inline filters are not needed and often contribute to not running right.
I'd drain the bowl immediately after it starts acting up and see how much gas is in it.
A piece of clear tubing on the drain nipple should have gas up to the top of the bowl. Get the nipple broke loose, stick tubing on, hold it so it goes up to the top of the bowl, open the drain and see how much gas goes up the tubing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/05/19 at 12:04:55

I'm thinking the slide needle itself. It's an 87 head on a 97 cylinder and bottom end

« Last Edit: 04/05/19 at 13:05:25 by Andemon »  
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/05/19 at 14:09:46

If for any reason you swap  jet needles between the carbs be sure you swap the matching needle  jet. but I think  based on the stock jetting , 47.5 pilot 155 main(for 87 -52.5/147 for 96) ,    the 165 is to large , I would try the stock 155 or 157.5   first and nothing larger than a 160. One washer on the spacer mod, lifts the needle to far, you  should  have at least two .You needed to read up on the procedure for tuning the fuel screw ,its done with the motor running.
       the petcock diaphragm  is under the plate on the back of the petcock , that's the one that can fail over time.

« Last Edit: 04/06/19 at 16:59:43 by batman »  

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/23/19 at 10:12:44

I wish it could be the petcock, it's not, put it to prime, gas flows good. Still popping at higher rpms, definitely seems lean. Header is gold not blueish. Won't go past 45mph without the hesitation and back firing. Sprayed brake parts cleaner around intake when idle, idle stayed the same. I think the slide needle is the wrong one or something, slide is going up without issues. I'm lost.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 04/23/19 at 23:02:31

If you have an inline fuel filter between the gas tank and carb it could restrict fuel flow -toss it.

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/25/19 at 04:44:20

I tossed it a few days ago, the fuel filter. I might mess with it today. I'm going to double check things. Thanks batman, this one has me stumped.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 04/25/19 at 08:55:07

If you have an original ‘87 carb then you would not need to add the washer on the needle.  The original needle has 3 grooves for the needle clip.  It usually sits on the center groove. To richen the midrange just move it down to the bottom groove, or up to the top groove to lean the midrange mixture.   This is all that would be needed for a stock engine even if keeping the stock jetting.  Stock main jet is 155 and should still work for an HD muffler.  The stock pilot may work for you but if needed going up to a #50 pilot should be all that is needed.
Your jetting right now is really rich.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valves maybe...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.