Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
State of the mechanical world? (Read 270 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

State of the mechanical world?
03/31/19 at 10:17:14

Trying to figure something out. Are there many younger folks doing actual mechanical work on their bikes? Not just bolting on an LED thingie or wrapping the pipes, but serious mechanical work.
It just seems that serious puttering as a pastime is fading away. We have a generation of kids who grew up without shop classes in school. Maybe no-one to mentor them. Reliable cars and bikes that don't require constant routine maintenance.
Just wondering. Plenty of graybeards doing it, but not many kids.
Now with all the nice new retro bikes, the kids are buying them instead of clapped out 70's Hondas.
Feedback?
thanks,
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Panhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brandon, FL
Re: State of the mechanical world?
Reply #1 - 03/31/19 at 10:58:17

All of us past retirement age grew up in a simpler world and wrenching was the most enjoyable of pastimes. It allowed us to ride or drive things we could not afford if it didn't need repair.  Today our children and grandchildren live in a fast paced society where things need to happen very quickly or be replaced.  To some degree I have become more that way myself because there is more that needs to be done than I have time for.  I have offered to mentor younger riders to do their own repairs, offering the use of my shop, tools, help, and failing miserably.  To further promote that mindset, newer machines have become too complex and parts are nearly impossible to find for older machines.  As for us oldtimers, we have been blessed with the Savage.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 03/31/19 at 11:15:19

There are very few youngsters who even understand how to use tools any more, much less wrench on anything mechanical. Someone at work told one of the youngsters (early 20's) one day that he had a low tire and that he should air it up before leaving. He ended up getting someone else to check the pressure for him and air it up because he had never used a tire pressure gauge or put air in a tire before.

Those of us who still know how to maintain/repair/modify anything are becoming a vanishing breed like the dinosaurs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/31/19 at 11:23:58

Watching people grow up to be incapable of solving the simplest of problems, only to have them possess strong opinions based in Bullshit has been frustrating for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/31/19 at 12:12:04

I am currently 63, and I grew up in farming community and folks didn't often buy stuff new.....they repaired the old or bought used.  Everyone fixed their broken stuff and made it work again.  Every farm had a workshop with drill presses, welders, and tool boxes.  My high school had shop class, and the boys that were in the FFA (Future Farmers of America) got to learn to weld and they welded up a hydraulic press as their shop project.

I was lucky enough to be able to schedule my classes early and get out of school at 1:30 - and I worked at a shop that sold Simplicity and Toro mowers, and Poulan chain saws.  The owner was a great mechanic and teacher.....I learned a lot from him, and it wasn't until 1990 that I got my first "new" car - the previous 18 year of driving had all been in cars that were well worn by the time I got them.  The cars could all be repaired with common tools......something that doesn't really apply to today's cars/trucks/motorcycles.  (I also worked at a couple of motorcycle shops in the early 70's and I would  take new bikes out of crates and put them together).

Most kids would not get hired by the motorcycle, car or mower shops - they probably have to be "certified" and full time in order for the dealer to be properly insured.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 03/31/19 at 12:12:31

My wife & I have both observed that teenagers today have little interest in driving.  Of course there are still some who are into their cars, and a few that like motorcycles, but a whole heck of a lot of them don't seem interested in getting their drivers license.  We think its related to social media.  The kids are glued to their phones.  They date on-line.  Who needs wheels for that?

Let's face it.  Times change.  The kids today may not be great mechanics, but they will most likely have other skills, good or bad, that will leave us in the dust (literally, we will be dust someday).  My eight year old grandkids can read like crazy, and they are already solving simple equations, and using a number line to solve problems.  They get around on a smart phone or tablet like its second nature, and have to teach me how to use the contraption from time to time.

Old school, new age, its all good.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/31/19 at 12:20:13

got a nephew who's heavy into m/c's offroad mostly.  he works on his own stuff.  and it's growing into a mechanics career, he's working with a group that hops up 4x4 trucks.

yes, reliable cars have diminished the opportunities to expose youngin's to the inner workings of the mechanical beings we live with.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 03/31/19 at 17:00:40

My boys have worked a long side me since the age 7 or 8. They have helped me build decks, renovate rooms and repair/maintain their motorcycles, my tractor and now their cars. They don't have the love for it that I did, but they know what to do. My middle son who loves photography and works in the film industry (which is 100% digital) likes to work along side me in our darkroom and he has several 35mm cameras. I've done my best to teach them analog skills. Only time will tell if all of the effort translated. I think I'll have to wait for them to buy homes and see if they are willing to maintain and improve them.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #8 - 03/31/19 at 18:41:33

Michael Jackson had Never- Never Land. A place where all thoughts were happy, and no one could harm him.  I have that same place. It's called my garage, where I work on my bikes. It's my heaven on earth.  Sad that most kids won't have that joy.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 03/31/19 at 18:53:56

I think Panhead  kind of hit the nail on the head when he said ,thank God we have the Savage. Modern cars and bikes maybe more reliable but at the cost of being more complicated , we can wrench on a Savage,and at most need only a volt/amp meter as Tech gear. fuel injection requires a computer to map. Frankly I'd be lost ,and headed to the dealer. Old VW's I started driving(60's-70's) ,could be rebuilt with a box of hand tools in the middle of a corn field , times change ! Sadly, you'd be lucky to get today's kids to change their own oil.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 03/31/19 at 20:41:38

All of my family is mechanically inclined. Dad raced dirt track and super speedway cars most of my childhood and built houses. I learned to wrench on my bicycle as a kid as did my siblings..  I’m 45 and always worked on my vehicles and motorcycles, mowers, chainsaws, weed eaters, tillers... etc. One brother is a industrial electrical foreman and still involved in speedway racing part time with some big name teams, younger brother who is 22 is an A&P aircraft mechanic and has worked on vehicles since he was very young. Little sister is handy with carpentry and some shop things, and middle sister changes her oil, fixes plumbing and electrical problems at her house, does tile work...not much she won’t do or try.  

I attribute most of this to dad showing us how things worked, what different tools are for and what they do, and most importantly to never be afraid to try something and don’t be upset if you fail at it the first time. No one is keeping score!

Kids these days only know how to call for help because sadly it is what most of their couch potato parents are teaching them.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 03/31/19 at 22:42:07

I was in an auto parts shop the other day, it's Australian, not NZ owned, they were showing a video where it was said that most young people under 25 would keep driving if they saw a dash board warning light come on. Vehicles have become incredibly reliable and people just expect them to keep going. Some years ago I took a fancy to Toyota Cressidas and found one at the price and mileage I wanted. I had it inspected by the Autombile Association, who wouldn't road test it because of low oil in the sump. Incredibly they recommended I buy it. This car was on a Citroen franchise dealers lot. You would have thought they would have tipped some in out of a car in for servicing. Many young people here don't bother driving because the safetystapo have made license tests stupidly difficult. Motrcycle sales in this country dropped when cheap second hand cars from Japan arrived here 35 years ago.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 04/01/19 at 04:27:17

RYes, it is sad to see so many young folks with absolutely no basic mechanical knowledge and skills.  I wish I had learned more from my dad and grandpa when growing up, but I did learn a lot.  My grandpa Eslick owned peach orchards and often almond and walnut also, and since my earliest days I loved being in the orchards.  He and my dad were always fixing, rebuilding and operating an assortment of equipment, tractors, trucks and an old Jeep.  Any of our cars or trucks that needed maintenance or rebuilding an engine was accomplished in our garage.  Dad did everything.  He helped me rebuild my first engine.  Knowing and understanding the use of tools, what needs to be done and how to do it is so very important.  
I am thankful.
I taught my son and 2 daughters how to maintain a house and fix things, the basics of Car maintenance and repair, and what to look for when you do need professional help.  
And, they were all trained to handle firearms and to shoot correctly.  They are quite proficient.

I am thankful for what God has provided.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 04/01/19 at 08:53:05

I have two sons, 19 and 16 years old.  They have no interest in tools, motorcycles, or working on them.  I do make them swap winter/summer wheels, do brakes and suspension work their car so they have some knowledge, but I think they both plan on making enough money to pay other people to do that stuff.

Like others have pointed out, they live half their life through social media and video games.  The other half is spent documenting the cool things they actually do like skiing, golfing, traveling, etc.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/01/19 at 09:05:36

When I go to a mechanic, and I rotate my mechanics regularly, it is not as if every place I go to has a bunch of guys near retirement working there.

Same for service centers like Wal-Mart, Jiffy-Lube etc. that provide basic services.  I see plenty of 20 year old's working on vehicles.  the difference is that its at a company, not a driveway.

Also someone here mentioned how youth are very competent in things related to digital tech.  One thing I have been looking at lately is augmented reality systems where a mechanic, and a customer wear a headset that digitally projects the repair process onto the physical machine the customer is looking at.  This system works, and it works well.

This is what youth are interested in.  That doesn't discount the value of traditional mechanic skills, but saying we should maintain a shop/welding/mechanics class in middle and high school as it has been done in the 80's - 2000's is like saying we need to have typing classes like they had in the 80's - 2000's.  

Are we really going to bring back the typewriter someday?  The full-size keyboard?  The driveway mechanic?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 22:42:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › State of the mechanical world?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.