398EDD8D-DDAA-493A-9F42-325DE36CB8FD.jpeg
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Re: After glow?
Reply #1 - 03/14/19 at 16:51:59

Well if that is a Harley muffler that has a catalyst in it, it might be normal. but the short answer is no.

But it looks cool! Wink

IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/14/19 at 17:43:28

It is a Harley Dyna muffler and The pipe is wrapped

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 03/14/19 at 20:15:47

Your carb is most likely LEAN.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #4 - 03/15/19 at 03:34:14

That wrap really holds the heat also.  I melted a pipe with a similar combo you have there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mEL4VbVr7BQtZmhc6

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/15/19 at 04:00:14

On the group rides.....I have seen the inside of the Harley mufflers emitting a red glow.  The higher the cruise speed....the brighter the glow.

I am sure fuel mixture has some affect, and with or without catalyst likely has an affect as well.

The Harley muffler has an inner pipe with holes and a plate blocking the middle...the exhaust flows out of the inner pipe into the outer chamber, then back through holes and into the inner pipe and out the back.  The outer chrome housing has insulation inside that absorbs sound...and also keeps the inner pipe from dissipating much heat outward - so the inner pipe gets really hot.  After a bunch of miles....the inner pipes get tired and they break and come loose - and the muffler needs to be replaced.  Most of the members on this site will never ride their bikes long enough to wear a muffler out....some of the long term members like Serowbot and MMRanch have worn mufflers out.  

« Last Edit: 03/15/19 at 06:03:02 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #6 - 03/15/19 at 04:04:33

Zook wrote on 03/14/19 at 17:43:28:
It is a Harley Dyna muffler and The pipe is wrapped

Not a fan of wrap, It holds in heat, probably not good for air cooled engines.
One of the paths for heat loss is the pipe, The hottest part of the bike is the exhaust valve, heat reflecting back will just keep it hotter.
There might be some slight benefit in racing but racing is not about stop and go traffic and long life of a motor.  

And besides some wraps absorb moisture.
Example, take some semi dry towels balled up out of a dryer and place them on a table leave them for hours. Later they will be still hot and wet in side the ball. Thus same effect with pipe wrap.  Rotted out pipes.

IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/15/19 at 13:59:11

I like the look of the wrap and this is not a long ride bike. I have a Vstrom for that. It’s not a ride in the rain bike either for that matter so I am not too worried a the wrap getting wet.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/15/19 at 14:22:36

I've worn out a LOT of Harley mufflers.  Thankfully, I usually get them free my my Harley riding buddies that just HAVE to change out the stock exhaust.  Still got 3 spares...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 03/17/19 at 11:13:26

Drill a 1/2 inch hole in the baffle, the pipe will run cooler, sound much better and the bike will love it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/29/19 at 13:34:34

I drilled the bafel with a 1/2 inch bit and an extension. I went for a 15 minute ride. It still glows bright red inside. It’s a little louder now. In fact that is about as loud as I would want it. Doesn’t seem to have made much difference.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 03/29/19 at 16:33:09

I tried drilling a half inch hole in one of my Dyna mufflers and lost the baffle completely in a few thousand miles, had to swap back to a stock dyna , I'm not tempted to try a hole again .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 03/30/19 at 11:22:58

Their is another thing to consider when using the stock header, it's already "wrapped ", that is to say the header is double walled , helping to retain exhaust gas temperature. Placing a cloth wrap over this may be driving temps over the top, and part of the reason your seeing the glow. Where it may prove a benefit to wrap larger custom headers (single layer headers with larger surface areas that cool the gases faster) I would avoid their use on a stock header.

IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/30/19 at 14:33:55

Well I have another muffler, had to buy 2. So I guess if or when it goes I will slap on another one. Might as well see how long it lasts.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 03/30/19 at 20:20:47

Well HD Dyna mufflers (used) are reasonably priced, I would be more concerned about the what the wrap is doing to your header. The fact that you can't see it, negates the chance of telling you if it's bluing  , which usually means the carb is running lean ,(or very rich) or if it's rusting. Running rich will carbon the motor ,foul your sparkplug ,and could lead to detonation,and wastes fuel  , lean will make the motor run hot and could lead to burnt valves ,or cause other damage.

« Last Edit: 03/31/19 at 08:31:30 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 02:11:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › After glow?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.