Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaking gas after dropping bike (Read 107 times)
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leaking gas after dropping bike
03/25/19 at 16:17:06

Hi! It's my first time posting here.  Thanks for having me!

So, I had to lay it down today (neglected to put the side stand down before dismounting in the AutoZone parking lot).  When it was on the ground I noticed that some gas was leaking from the gas tank/petcock area.  I picked it up and the fluids stopped flowing.  I didn't notice any significant damage to the bike; I think I slowed it down a fair amount before it hit the ground.  I got on and leaned it way over to the left, but no more gas leaked out.

When I got back I laid it down again (on purpose this time) to see if any gas would leak if it was completely on its side, but none came out.

What gives?  Where did the gas most likely come from?  Is it safe to ride?

As an aside, I was in Autozone in the first place to pick up some new turn signal indicator bulbs (the front left was out).  Ironically, after I dropped the bike, The bulb revived itself.  However, it still does the rapid blink as if to indicate that the bulb is out.  Even after replacing both front bulbs, the left hand side still blinks rapidly when I turn the signal on.  What could be causing this?

Thank you for your help.  This website rocks.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Re: Leaking gas after dropping bike
Reply #1 - 03/25/19 at 16:55:42

Hi Daphil.
Usually gas will leak out of the float bowl on the carburetor , It allows some side to side play for corning, as its name implies there is a float to  keep a certain level. but when you tip the bike over the float may not close all the way and gas will leak out,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/25/19 at 18:38:24

As Matchless said, the fuel likely came from the float bowl vents.

There are 2 black tubes that go from the top of the carb up to an area under the tank.....and it will flow out and appear like it is coming from the tank/petcock area.

It didn't drip the second time as you had drained the float bowl.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 03/25/19 at 21:21:24

Is the bike new to you and has it always blinked fast or just started? If any of the bulbs were swapped with cheap led bulbs sometimes that can be the cause if an in-line resistor isn’t also installed as led bulbs may not offer the resistance needed to regulate the blink rate. Make sure all four blinker bulbs are working and remember the front are dual filament running and blinking. Rear are single filament blink only unless it has been modified.

Is the bike stock or been modified and how?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/26/19 at 07:53:27

Thank you all for your replies.  I take it that the gas leaking from the carburetor bowl isn't a huge deal.

As far as the lights go, I can't quite recall if the left side always blinked fast.  I bought the bike used a couple of months ago.  As far as I know, there are no modifications to it, but I bought a pair of rear turn signal indicator bulbs as well so I'll replace those and see if the problem persists.

You mentioned that the front turn signal bulbs are dual filament; does that mean that both filaments should light up simultaneously?  From my inspection, only one of the two filaments lights up.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/26/19 at 08:06:58

The front lights have dual filament bulbs, as it has running lights that are on all the time when the ignition is turned on - and brighter lights that flash when the turn signals are in use. (So....both filaments will be energized when the turn signal portion is also lit).

The rear lights only function as turn signals and have a single filament.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 03/26/19 at 11:37:39

And both the front and rear signals on each side are powered together,  if one bulb is not flashing , the other flashes faster(less load on the flasher unit), so you need to be checking both front and rear when testing.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/27/19 at 16:45:10

I did some more investigation on the lights today.  It seems that for the front blinkers, the weaker of the two filaments are the running lights, and the brighter of the two filaments are the turn signals.  On the left side, the running light does come on, but when I activate the turn signal, the bright filament does not come on.  Instead, the weaker filament blinks rapidly.

What could this mean?  Is the connection to the bright filament bad?

The whole light seems to be a bit iffy.  When I dropped the bike, it came back on, but it was weak.  Today, it did not come on initially, but after I messed with some of the screws and contacts in the light housing, it did come back on, in the weakened state that I described.

As always, thank you guys for your help!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/27/19 at 19:47:55

Bulbs are cheap.
Before you go pulling hair out, hunting a gremlins, stick a new one in. Look in the socket. Are contacts clean? The Body of the socket , where the pins lock in are the grounds.
You need JIS screwdriver tips for the screws.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/28/19 at 03:52:46

JOG is right.....your front bulb may be wacky and damaged.

Try a new one.

IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/08/19 at 17:00:51

Thank you for all the advice guys.

I did a little more poking around today and I discovered that sometimes the turn signals go on, and other times not.  Depending on the position of the handlebars, the turn signals can turn on or not.  I noticed that the bundle of wires that goes from the left hand switch assembly was a little bit squished in the middle, between the switch assembly and the lamp.  When I roll it around with my fingers, I can get both of the turn signals to turn on and blink.  Left side continues to blink fast.

I suspect that this section of the wires has been damaged, resulting in a poor connection most of the time.  When I turn the bars just right, the wires reconnect and the turn signals function.  Left side wire might be shorting out/such a bad connection that the bike "thinks" a light is out.

How would I go about fixing this issue?  Can I re-solder the affected wires and then wrap them anew with some shrink wrap?  I believe they go into a connector that feeds into the main wiring harness.  How tough of a task is this?  Should I just take it to Suzuki?  I wanna ride the darn thing, man!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/08/19 at 18:29:24

The answer is based on your abilities.
And you put the heat shrink on , solder, slide the shrink up, heat it.
You've definitely located the problem.
Question is
What mashed it?
The drop?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/10/19 at 17:12:13

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I resolved the issue.  I opened up the headlight lamp casing and checked the connections to the turn signals within.  Somebody used those red crimp connectors to hook up the hot side of the left turn signal!  Can you believe it?  Anyway, I removed them, and after confirming that the turn signal functions normally when I manually touch the wires together, I am pleased to say that I think I figured it out!  I will be doing a proper solder connection in the coming days.  We are back, baby!

Thank you to everyone who replied to this forum post.  It feels good to be a part of this helpful community.

I attached a photo of the culprits to this post.

57663351150__D795CA27-C54C-4D01-B020-3C3A0494FAB3.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/10/19 at 18:08:19

Gee, what a tidy job..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 04:16:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking gas after dropping bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.