Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
i'm back.... with questions.... (Read 219 times)
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

i'm back.... with questions....
10/04/14 at 09:09:03

Hey peoples, hope your all doin alreet,

my ol suzi is slowly getting their, but i have a few questions for you gifted ones.....

mines a 96 ls400, and im wanting to do a carb upgrade (not for power, for simplicity and the fact my diaphram is buggered) my current carb is 58mm i/d for the air filter and 38mm i/d for the inlet ( i dont know the technical name)
would the mikuni vm 34 fit?
also for jetting im pretty sure its been running very lean (looking through the exhaust port the valves are nearly white/ used to backfire rather alot/ and the exhaust got really really hot) my main jet at the mo is 142.5 (thats 2 full sizes from stock) im running a shortened bcb muffler and a k&n filter...
any thoughts on this?
i cant do a plug chop test as im doing a ground up biuld (currently in a lot of pieces)

also does anyone know if the 650 cam chain is the same as the 400? i have the versy in on the second setting, but im gonna replace the chain as im taking the head and barrel off for painting and to do the head plug (mights as well do the whole thing in one swoop)

thanks a lot
btw im in the UK

1_009.jpg
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: i'm back.... with questions....
Reply #1 - 10/04/14 at 09:09:33

2_006.jpg
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/04/14 at 09:09:58

3_007.jpg
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/04/14 at 09:10:18

4_005.jpg
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/04/14 at 09:10:58

5_002.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/04/14 at 09:14:26

I don't know the cam chain answer,but, a look at part numbers from, Ohh, RonAyers, look at the 650 cam chain part number,then look up yours,, if they are the same,, Bongi! If not, then it's Still Possible, but the likelihood drops way off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/06/14 at 04:08:34

We don't know much about the 400 up here.....we have never seen one.

From previous posts we have learned that the piston is smaller, the wrist pin is smaller.....and that is about all I know.  We had one member that wanted to throw a larger piston and cylinder from a 650 on his 400 - and that is when he found out the wrist pin is smaller.

We use the VM34 Mikuni on the 650 and it works well - but that carb might be a bit big for the 400.  The problem is that you will be pulling only 60% of the air through the carb that the 650 does, and it may not be enough air to create a good vacuum in the carb at low throttle settings....especially near idle.  You may not be able to get the carb to run well.  You might be a lot better off with a 30 or 32mm carb on the 400.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 10/13/14 at 21:05:58

I have had the 400 and it runs the same carb, jets etc as the 650 does. So what ever after market carb you get, if it works for the 650 it will work for the 400.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #8 - 10/14/14 at 09:07:58

Yes. timing chain the savage 400 identical with a bigger one. I personally have replaced some times the timing chain and bought from 650 Savage.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/14/14 at 09:42:33

The Mikuni VM round slide in 30mm, 32mm and 34mm have the same size inlet as the stock Savage carb......on the air cleaner side.  On the side of the carb that attaches to the cylinder - the size is not the same, and you have to buy a new rubber flange that is 40 mm diameter.

The 34mm is all the carb you need on the 650, and I still stand my believe that the 400 Savage will run better with a 32mm carb.  The 400 will be flowing 40% less air though the carb, and the velocity of the air through the venturi will be too slow....especially at idle and on an otherwise stock engine.  The low velocity of flow will make the carb hard to tune, and the engine is apt to be very sluggish off idle until the air flow increases enough to make the carb work properly.

Suzuki may have used the save size CV carb on both bikes - but that is not an indication that the same size VM carb should be used on both bikes.  The CV carb has a throttle plate and that is a little more forgiving about velocity at low throttle settings, and it has a vacuum operated slide that will not allow the inlet vacuum to collapse.  If you put a VM36 on a 400 and crack the throttle open quickly....I believe it will do one of those "cough gag" sounds out the back of the carb as the vacuum collapses and doesn't pull any fuel out of the float bowl.

With proper jetting - the VM32 will run smoother on the 400 Savage than the VM36 will.

photo_mikuni_VM_carb_dimensions.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #10 - 04/09/19 at 01:19:07

Dave wrote on 10/14/14 at 09:42:33:
The Mikuni VM round slide in 30mm, 32mm and 34mm have the same size inlet as the stock Savage carb......on the air cleaner side.  On the side of the carb that attaches to the cylinder - the size is not the same, and you have to buy a new rubber flange that is 40 mm diameter.

The 34mm is all the carb you need on the 650, and I still stand my believe that the 400 Savage will run better with a 32mm carb.  The 400 will be flowing 40% less air though the carb, and the velocity of the air through the venturi will be too slow....especially at idle and on an otherwise stock engine.  The low velocity of flow will make the carb hard to tune, and the engine is apt to be very sluggish off idle until the air flow increases enough to make the carb work properly.

Suzuki may have used the save size CV carb on both bikes - but that is not an indication that the same size VM carb should be used on both bikes.  The CV carb has a throttle plate and that is a little more forgiving about velocity at low throttle settings, and it has a vacuum operated slide that will not allow the inlet vacuum to collapse.  If you put a VM36 on a 400 and crack the throttle open quickly....I believe it will do one of those "cough gag" sounds out the back of the carb as the vacuum collapses and doesn't pull any fuel out of the float bowl.

With proper jetting - the VM32 will run smoother on the 400 Savage than the VM36 will.

Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread but I plan to do a few modifications to my 650cc Savage and one of the things I would like to do is change carburetor and air filter to a Mikuni VM and a large air intake filter. I REALLY don't chase maximum power and speed. What I want is a good running thumper to cruise around on at 50 mph. I understand that a smaller carburetor can sometimes be preferable so I wonder if I should go with a VM34 for my 650 or perhaps even smaller?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/09/19 at 14:52:22

If  your going to cruise around @50 , do the spacer mod and keep the stock CV carb .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #12 - 04/10/19 at 04:26:50

Ok, I realize that the stock carb is probably going to work great for me, but let's say i really WANT to use a Mikuni VM-carb, what size would fit my requirements the best?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 04/10/19 at 06:07:11

If you want a VM for your 400 I think a 34 should work pretty well for you.  You will need a new rubber flange to mount it and a new
throttle cable to use the VM, along with some jets.
I have not run one on my Savage so jet setup will be a bit different.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #14 - 04/10/19 at 07:41:43

Thank you LANCER. I tried to search for rubber flanges for the Savage but didn't find any specifically for the LS650. Is there a standard that fits on most bikes and if so, what are the specs/dimensions?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 06:30:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › i'm back.... with questions....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.