Carburetor Comparison (Read 458 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Carburetor Comparison
Reply #30 - 03/22/19 at 11:19:01

batman wrote on 03/21/19 at 14:34:37:
   It's been said that the HD is feeding only one cylinder at a time ,but this  rings false. the two cylinders of the HD are only 45 degrees apart (as is the firing order) which means the intake strokes (and intake valve openings ) overlap, which may account for the need to run a larger carb. .

The cylinders are 45 degrees apart, but the firing order is most definitely not 45 degrees too. If it was, the second cylinder would be coming up on the compression stroke 45 degrees behind the first cylinder. Try kicking one sometime with the ignition off to see for yourself. Bring it up on a compression stroke, let the kickstarter ratchet back to the top so you can get a full kick from it, and give it all you've got then. No matter how hard you kick it it will only go thump one time for each kick. You will never spin the engine fast enough for the second cylinder to make a compression stroke with one kick.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #31 - 03/22/19 at 12:13:53

You are of course correct. I had that thought sometime after ,that I was wrong about the firing order. Shows my lack of never owning a Harley !!!
  I  still think I'm right concerning the piston speed .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 03/22/19 at 16:22:30

Hotrod:  I bet the install is almost identical to the Mikuni VM.  If the DellOrto is the particular design I have in mind it's pretty much the same as a VM.  Has a round slide and the cable comes in through the top and hooks into a slot in the slide.  It should be easy to install that type of carb.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #33 - 03/23/19 at 10:09:29

batman wrote on 03/22/19 at 12:13:53:
You are of course correct. I had that thought sometime after ,that I was wrong about the firing order. Shows my lack of never owning a Harley !!!
  I  still think I'm right concerning the piston speed .

Maybe. The 80 inch Harley does have a much longer stroke, but the Sportster is very similar at 3.8125 inches. A common budget performance mod used to be replacing the Sportster carb with one for a big twin. Sportsters were either 36mm or 38mm depending on the year, while the big twin was 40 mm. So the velocity difference may not have as much effect as you are thinking.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 03/23/19 at 16:07:34

I suspect that the LS engine will run at approximately twice the speed of the Harley to achieve similar jet circuit transitions.  For instance, out of the box, the S&S utilizes a .040" airbleed which brings the main jet on-line at about 3000 rpm.  With that same .040" airbleed, the LS engine would probably have to run about 5000 or 6000 rpm to bring the main jet into play.  So I'm guessing I will need to use a smaller airbleed on the LS.  Finding just the right jet combination to allow the carb to transition from the low speed circuit to the high speed circuit will be tricky.  I may have to try unorthodox stuff like increasing or decreasing the number of holes in the emulsion tubes.  The Harley is pretty much a 5500 rpm engine until you really start to breathe on it.  The S&S E runs very well on a 5500 rpm Harley.  Our engines are 6500 rpm engines and I'm looking to increase that to about 7000.  That's the redline on the DR so I think the valve train will be good to 7000.  That should make application of the S&S carb a little easier, but still difficult (at least for me).

I don't think it will be a cakewalk.  I think it will most certainly be much more difficult than adapting a Constant Velocity or Variable Venturi carburetor.  The fixed venturi will be a big challenge.   If I don't get it to work properly at least I will learn a few things.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 03/25/19 at 05:17:55

I just remembered something from my past.  I built a 3.5 liter six cylinder motor that had 46mm Weber carbs - and it had one venturi for each cylinder.  It wasn't hard to get jetted as others had been down that path and created a jig for drilling additional fuel metering holes, and it ran really well and was smooth - however those huge throttle plates made it difficult to cruise at a steady speed.  The engine made a lot of power and needed very small throttle openings for normal traffic, and any movement of throttle pedal made a big change in speed....either opening or closing....it seemed you were either speeding up or slowing down - a steady speed was difficult to maintain.

It could be a low HP 650cc engine and a 40mm carb won't suffer from that same issue.....but it could be that a steady cruise speed might be harder to control with a large bore carb.

It was difficult to hold a steady speed....or make small changes in speed.   The engine made a lot of power and at normal traffic speeds re was 580cc per cylinder and just a small amount of movement of the throttle made a big difference in the air flow to the

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 03/25/19 at 11:29:56

Thanks for sharing the info on the Weber setup Dave.  That may turn out to be quite useful to me.  Do you think that a change to the throttle linkage (less throttle plate movement per inch of peddle movement) might have helped.  I could possibly fabricate an elliptical pully for the throttle shaft so that at the lower throttle openings the throttle plate movement to twist grip ratio would be less than at higher throttle openings.  Do you think something like that might have improved conditions on your six-cylinder application.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 03/25/19 at 18:32:28

It might have helped to have some form of progressive throttle, with a snail shaped cable ramp.....the one is used was circular.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 04/07/19 at 17:18:55

Lancer loaned me three more carburetors to test. A BIG mahalo to Lancer for trusting me with his valuable mixers.  The new candidates are a Mikuni 36VM, a Mikuni 38VM, and a QuiuckSilver 38mm.  I tested the three new carburetors using the same process as the stock carb, Kehin 40, and S&S Super E.

Here are the results of the tests:

Box Stock Head

Mikuni 36VM:            149 CFM @ 15” (no  airbox)            109 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Mikuni 38VM:              153 CFM @ 15”       (no airbox)            113 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

QuickSilver 38:              157 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            117 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Modified Hammer Head

Mikuni 36VM:              172 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            126 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Mikuni 38VM:              178 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            130 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

QuickSilver 38:              184 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            132 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 04/07/19 at 17:22:33

So let’s stack them all up so we can see how the six carburetors compare to each other.  In the interest of brevity,  I’m only going to arrange them based on the results recorded off the HammerHead tests since that’s the highest flows achieved.

Modified Hammer Head

Stock Mikuni CV:              159 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            117 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Mikuni 36VM:              172 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            126 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Mikuni 38VM:              178 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            130 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Kehin 40 CV:                    180 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            128 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

QuickSilver 38:              184 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            132 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

S&S Super-E:              191 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            134 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 04/07/19 at 17:24:45

To get a feel for what we could expect from an air filter/airbox change, I installed Lancer’s Uni Pod filter on the QuickSilver 38.  The Uni filter flowed 134 CFM @ 10” H2O, an increase of 1.5%.  That was with the red outer sock removed.  When I installed the sock it flowed 132 CFM, the same as the modified airbox.

Let’s look at the Mikuni VM setup.  It looks to me like it would be an easy installation.

VM_Setup.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 04/07/19 at 17:29:18

That’s an impressive throat.  A full 38mm with almost no impediments to airflow.  I bet this mixer will bring out the beast in your savage.

38VM_Throat_8.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 04/07/19 at 17:30:52

The VM36 is almost identical except for a slightly smaller throat.  The QuickSilver also looks like an easy installation.  The throttle cable might be a little tricky but nothing we can’t handle.

QuickSilver_Setup.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 04/07/19 at 17:31:55

The Uni Filter is an easy installation.  Wish it had some weather protection.

Quicksilver_with_Uni_5_4.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 04/07/19 at 17:35:10

IMO, the three Mikuni carburetors should be very easy to setup for most applications.  The 36mm & 38mm VM carburetors will provide a boost in performance, and the stock CV carburetor will probably provide the best mixing qualities for trouble-free everyday street use.  The Kehin 40mm CV, the QuickSilver, and the S&S E are the flow kings, but I’m betting they will be difficult to setup.  The 38VM is so close in terms of flow that only the most discerning performance seeker will be able to tell the difference.  It looks like the other five contenders will have a very hard time outperforming the 38VM overall.

Thanks again to Lancer for the loan.  It allowed us to gather a lot more comparative data.

Knowledge is power.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 05:44:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!