Carburetor Comparison (Read 457 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Carburetor Comparison
Reply #15 - 03/18/19 at 15:45:05

Regarding Dave's comment on difficulty tuning:  That's why I view the project as fun and interesting.  I agree that tuning the large venturi carb will be challenging and I view it as a good chance to learn a thing or two.  The S&S was specifically designed for Harley big twins ranging from 57 through 80 cubic inches.  That works out to about 28 to 40 cubic inches per cylinder.  The carb only feeds one cylinder at a time so I think I have a decent chance at adapting it to the LS40.  If its a flop, all I have lost is the time I spend since I already have the carb.  I ran the specific Super-E on my Softail for many years.  It performed flawlessly, and I really saw no difference in response and drivability between the S&S and the stock Kehin.  Of course the overall flow through the carb is higher in the twin cylinder application, but the velocity when it's feeding only one of the two cylinders should be fairly close, especially if the twin is an 883.  I think it can work.  If I can successfully get the Super-E workin on the Savage we will have another mixer to choose from.

Hey SpammyToo: Please tell me more about your brother's experience.  Where did he get a manifold from?  Do you know if he played with the air bleeds or did he confine his efforts to the main jet and intermediate jet?  When he gave-up on the S&S, what sort of Kehin carb did he then install?  Was it a Harley take-off like the one I tested?  Was he able to tune it using available Harley jets?

Thanks for the offer Lancer.  I sent you a PM.

Fast650:  IMO, the stroke on the LS is pretty reasonable for what I want to achieve.  With a 3.7" stroke, the average piston speed at 6500 rpm is 4008 fpm, well below the accepted standard of 4500 fpm for a street engine.  At 7000 rpm the average piston speed is 4316 fpm.  We ought to be able to make 1.25 HP/cubic inch at 7000 rpm or less.  I think 50 HP is a reasonable objective.  I agree that if I decided to challenge one of these modern single-cylinder engines I would need to increase the redline dramatically.  With the current cylinder head, bore & stroke I think it would be impossible.  But a 50 HP Savage cruiser would be killer fun.

The Harley crowd routinely make 100 reliable HP with 80 inch Evolution Big Twins.  That's 50 HP per cylinder with a 4.25" stroke.  If a pushrod, two-valve EVO can make 1.25 HP per cubic inch, our overhead cam four-valve metric motor can make 1.25 HP per cubic inch.  We can do this.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #16 - 03/18/19 at 18:01:18

Ill see what I can find out.

I know he bought the bike with the carb installed.  It came from an older guy who like tinkering and did pretty cool machine work.  He made the intake himself and it was a nice looking billet setup.  My brother might actually still have it.

I think he ended up going with a Keihin PWK38. Many of our dirt bikes run Keihin, so we already have a plethora of jets to work with for these.

WWW   IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #17 - 03/18/19 at 23:43:00

I agree that 50 HP should be doable. What I meant was that if you are looking to make 70+ HP, that is when you will run into  the problem of needing way more than safe rpm or some boost pressure.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/19/19 at 04:11:57

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/18/19 at 15:45:05:
Regarding Dave's comment on difficulty tuning:  That's why I view the project as fun and interesting.  I agree that tuning the large venturi carb will be challenging and I view it as a good chance to learn a thing or two.  The S&S was specifically designed for Harley big twins ranging from 57 through 80 cubic inches.  That works out to about 28 to 40 cubic inches per cylinder.  The carb only feeds one cylinder at a time so I think I have a decent chance at adapting it to the LS40. 

I have a mental problem wrapping my head around this.  When mounted on a twin, the carb has twice as much air flowing through it at idle (or any other chosen rpm).......even though only 1 cylinder at a time is using the air.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #19 - 03/19/19 at 04:49:10

I love this Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 03/19/19 at 08:53:16

Yes, HD engines can and do make 50hp/cyl but they also have a relatively straight exhaust port too.  That is a difference that affects exhaust velocity/volume, but do you know how much ?
The DR650 (90-95) makes 46hp stock according to Suzuki while the LS650 makes 29-30hp.  The DR has a little more cam lift, a single tube header a bit larger than the LS, the carb may flow a bit more fuel, and the exhaust ports on the DR are smooth and almost straight compared to the corners, bridge and outer ring on the LS.
Other than the exhaust ports, is that enough to raise the peak HP by 50% ?  Doesn’t seem like it to me.
It is just my opinion but I think the exhaust ports are the primary reason for the power difference.

The DR and LS were built simultaneously so the differences were selected for a reason by the factory.  Why not just use one engine ?  It’s cheaper.

Thoughts ?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 03/19/19 at 14:35:33

Looks like we have some very good comments.

"Spammy": thanks for looking into your brother's experience with the S&S and Kehin.  I'm sure it will be a big help.

"Fast 650": I think we are on the same page.  A friend of mine who races big 4-strokes in the desert told me that these modern big-inchers run up as high as 13K.  The LS geometry will never support that.  Those engines have huge 38mm valves and need a huge bore to accommodate the big valves.  And your absolutely right about the stroke, 3.7" is way to long for a 10K+ redline.  Even if I could pull that off I don't think it would be much fun to ride a 650cc single on the street with the engine buzzing around at 8 or 9K all the time.

"Dave":  I hope I don't screw up my response here.  I am not looking at the flow through the carburetor as "continuous".  It starts and stops.  If a Big Twin with 40 cubic inches per cylinder has a 40mm carburetor mounted, that carburetor is only feeding a 40 cubic inch cylinder on each intake stroke.  Granted, there are two intake strokes every 720 degrees, but only one at a time.  The velocity through the carb venturi is determined by volume that is being filled and also the piston speed (which I agree is higher on a Big Twin due to the 4.25" stroke).  The flow starts, and then stops, and then starts again, and then stops again.  So yes, total continuous flow is twice as much on the Big Twin, but the flow through the venturi during a single intake stroke is close to the same on both the twin and the single.

Look at it from another angle.  The carbureted Harley Evolution Big Twins were delivered with 40mm Kehin carburetors.  There were several popular replacement carbs, S&S E, Mikuni HS40, QuickSilver, Revtech, etc..  Those were all like 38 to 40mm carbs.  Most metric big-inch singles come with 40mm carbs (or carbs billed as 40mm like the Savage).  All of those engines have two things in common, 40 cubic inch cylinders and 40mm carbs.  The Big Twin has two of the cylinders, but only a single carburetor to feed them.  That carburetor just happens to be 40mm.  If the flow is double, why didn't the Motor Factory have to install a 56mm carburetor (about twice the cross section of a 40mm)?

"Armen": Hey Buddy, you got me started on this.

"Lancer":  Your point regarding the LS vs DR is well taken.  On the surface, the engines look pretty close so why the big disparity in HP.  That's a secret I hope we can uncover.  I can see that the DR has a point higher compression ratio, and it has a larger bore and shorter stroke.  It may have a nice tight quench zone.   I don't know if they have the same size valves but I know they use the same valve springs so that's a pretty good indication that the valves are about the same weight.  Of course the nice straight exhaust port is a big bonus for the DR.  There certainly seems to be some sort of weird design decision that was made regarding the LS exhaust port.  If you think about it, manufacturing the head with that screwy dipsy-doodle exhaust port most likely costs a bit more.  What were they thinking?  I'm hoping I can come up with some simple modifications that will improve the flow significantly.  There's not a lot of options on the roof of the port.  That leaves the sides and the bottom of the port plus that ridiculous 1.3" outlet.  I can't wait to get started on that.  The saving grace is that we have about 120psi differential working for us on the exhaust, whereas there's only about 15psi differential across the intake.  Of course reducing the friction in the exhaust system will help the port flow better.  Its for sure a challenge.  Help!

Can you tell me anything specific regarding the 1995 DR650 valves?  Do you know exactly what size they are?  Is the DR650 carburetor a true 40mm or is it an oval venturi like the LS?  What is the ID of the DR header?  Does the DR have a tight quench or is it the grand canyon like the LS?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 03/19/19 at 15:00:29

I see Lancer's points ,but if the S-40 had been given a DR motor  , It would have lost it's draw as a mild starter bike, and who would have traded up, even to an S-50,  with a bike that would already have easily done the ton?
       I think using the 40 mm carbs to be a mistake, use of the 36mmVM carb has shown increased Hp ,due to higher fuel/air velocity, the 40mm carbs may not except at WOT.  
       More air /fuel does equal more HP , but only if the flows are balanced , intake and exhaust ,and exhaust is our problem  .The fact that the stock carb's venturi is about equal to 36mm, only encourages me to keep using the stock CV (with mods).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 03/20/19 at 12:23:25

"Lancer":  Your point regarding the LS vs DR is well taken.  On the surface, the engines look pretty close so why the big disparity in HP.  That's a secret I hope we can uncover.  I can see that the DR has a point higher compression ratio, and it has a larger bore and shorter stroke.  It may have a nice tight quench zone.   I don't know if they have the same size valves but I know they use the same valve springs so that's a pretty good indication that the valves are about the same weight.  Of course the nice straight exhaust port is a big bonus for the DR.  There certainly seems to be some sort of weird design decision that was made regarding the LS exhaust port.  If you think about it, manufacturing the head with that screwy dipsy-doodle exhaust port most likely costs a bit more.  What were they thinking?  I'm hoping I can come up with some simple modifications that will improve the flow significantly.  There's not a lot of options on the roof of the port.  That leaves the sides and the bottom of the port plus that ridiculous 1.3" outlet.  I can't wait to get started on that.  The saving grace is that we have about 120psi differential working for us on the exhaust, whereas there's only about 15psi differential across the intake.  Of course reducing the friction in the exhaust system will help the port flow better.  Its for sure a challenge.  Help!

Can you tell me anything specific regarding the 1995 DR650 valves?  Do you know exactly what size they are?  Is the DR650 carburetor a true 40mm or is it an oval venturi like the LS?  What is the ID of the DR header?  Does the DR have a tight quench or is it the grand canyon like the LS?

The valve size in the DR 90-95' is the same as the LS, and the valve springs in both are the same as well as the rockers.
The DR carb is similar to the LS, it may have a bit larger effective bore and may have an accelerator pump.  It has been awhile since I played with one.
Stock bore on the DR is 95mm and as noted the CR is 9.5:1 with a flat top piston just like ours.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 03/20/19 at 14:39:02

Well as weird as it might sound for Suzuki to build 2 different 650cc single cylinder engines.....BMW did just the opposite.

They built an 800cc twin....and offered it in different power outputs, and called it a 650, 700 and 800!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_F_series_parallel-twin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 03/21/19 at 14:34:37

The SS carb was designed for Harley's ,  but not the S-40. no one has considered the main difference between the two, namely the stroke. The HD being a longer stroke /smaller bore will most certainly pull a higher carb vacuum,  and inertia of fuel mix entering the cylinder  due to its higher piston to cylinder wall,  speed.
         It's been said that the HD is feeding only one cylinder at a time ,but this  rings false. the two cylinders of the HD are only 45 degrees apart (as is the firing order) which means the intake strokes (and intake valve openings ) overlap, which may account for the need to run a larger carb.
       I'm not saying the SS carb won't work ,but I think it may be a bear to tune .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/21/19 at 16:42:42

I have nothing to add to this.....my head is hurting.  But, looks like an extreme amount of thought and testing is going into this process.  I am sure, in the end, you will achieve what you are looking for.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #27 - 03/21/19 at 22:05:15

My attempt will be a 36mm Dellorto PHF carb I have laying around. The internal choke is jammed but may not be needed. I have different slides, and adjustments of the accelerator pump may be enough to make that a non issue. It will be all seat of the pants and gas consumption to see if this works out.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 03/21/19 at 23:35:14

Hotrod: The DellOrto sounds like a good match.  It's not a constant velocity carb but it is a variable venturi.  Has a smooth bore and no choke.  The size is right for sweet street performance.  Keep us in the loop.  Let us know how the fit-up goes and any problems you encounter (manifold, cables, slide apertures, jetting, etc.).  More options to choose from has to be a bonus.  I know someone else who has his eyes on a DellOrto.  Not sure if I'm spellin that right.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #29 - 03/22/19 at 04:47:51

DBM : I have a Mikuni manifold that will fit. The throttle cable comes through the top of the carb so there may be a problem with tank clearance . We'll see. I don't want to have to right angle the carh through the side of the frame. Too much weight on the manifold,  and I don't like the look.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 04:02:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.