Carburetor Comparison (Read 494 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Carburetor Comparison
Reply #45 - Yesterday at 08:55:37

Mike, great analysis as always!!  I’m 5.5 years late to the party here.  Great discussion too!

Going back to your very first post, you noted that the Venturi is oval (40mm x 27.4mm), and you asked for verification of your math…

If the area of an oval (or eclipse) is 984.6, the square root is 31.4mm.  How did you get 35.6?  

The shape of the Venturi isn’t exactly oval as the sides are straight and not curved or rounded.  But I agree with the oval description.

I did a little different math to calculate the area and got 875.4.  I pretended there was a 27.4 x 27.4 square in the center (area 750.8).  Then I pretended the remaining top and bottom half moons would create a circle with a radius of 6.3mm (area would be 124.6). Sum of the 2 parts is 875.4.  Square root is 29.6.  I think this is actually a bit overestimated because what I’m referring to as “1/2 moons” would be more like “1/3 moons”.  Those 1/3 moons would make more of a football shape than a circle.  So my circle area calculation of the remainder is actually kinda generous.

Either way, I’m getting something between 29-31mm equivalent.  Where is my math mistake or do I have it right?  How did you get a 35.4mm round equivalent out of an area of 984.6?

I’m going through all of this because I’m sensing the PWK38 on my bike is too big for a stock motor or lightly modified (just a dyna and UNI filter).  While it might scream and love it at 5500+rpm, I’m thinking the velocity of air flow through the carb is too slow at lower RPMs with the big 38mm carb on a stock or almost stock setup.

I’m considering experimenting with a 36mm or maybe even a 34mm carb, but I need to gather some real data on performance with the PWK38.  Like timed acceleration from 40 to 60mph in 3rd gear.  And/Or maybe 50-70 in 4th.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:27:35 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #46 - Today at 02:23:49

Paul, IMO the 38 is just about right, but you can pick up a PWK36 super cheap so why not try it out.  I've tried the 36 and it does have good bottom end, but when the dust settles, I'm bettin you'll go back to the 38.

I calculated the cross section of the stock carb by using the formula for a "circular segment".  I'm gonna attach jpeg files of my old notes.  LMK what you figure out.  I think I got it correct but it never hurts to have a second set of eyes on a problem.

The formula for a circular segment from Machinery's Handbook.

Venturi_Xsection_1_0002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - Today at 02:25:34

I determined the angle of the segment by sketching the venturi on graph paper and measuring it with a protractor.

Venturi_Xsection_1_0001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - Today at 02:26:50

Then I simply calculated the area of a 40mm bore and subtracted two circular segments.

Venturi_Xsection_1_0003.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #49 - Today at 02:27:54

The remainder of my crude calculations.

Venturi_Xsection_1_0004.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #50 - Today at 05:20:30

Thanks Mike.  I see my mistakes now.  It would help if I put “ pi and r” in my equation (I’m such a square.).  This is why dad pulled me out of expensive UT after one semester and I had to finish college at UofH (Cougar High).  My calculus class at UT was at 7:30am and I got a “C” in the class.  Dad knew something was up because I made straight A’s in HS and he was a double major Math and Chemistry (and I was supposedly a chip off the old block).  Too much late night partying on 6th street in Austin with my new found college freedom and independence.  I can only blame lack of coffee and brain fog now. (Covid 3X isn’t good.)

I knew something was wrong with my 30mm result.  That’s 250cc bike sizing and 36mm makes much more sense.  I may skip the big $40 purchase of a PWK36 and just trust your opinion (expertise)!!  There are enough variables and configurations I can play with on the 38mm.  Thanks again, Mike!  Appreciate you taking the time to explain and share your work!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:26:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.