Carburetor Comparison (Read 457 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Carburetor Comparison
03/17/19 at 15:01:15

Power potential is limited by air flow.  It’s easy to get more fuel into the engine, but a lot more challenging to get more air in.  On a naturally aspirated engine, there is only about 14.7 psi available to force air through the intake tract and into the cylinder.

The air must work its way through the air-box and filter assembly, the carburetor, the intake port and the intake valves.  Each one of these components takes its toll on the flow.  I wanted to test the entire intake tract using three different carburetors to get a feel for the power potential of each carburetor.  The contenders are the stock Mikuni constant velocity carburetor, a 40mm Kehin constant velocity carburetor (ala Big Twin Harley), and an S&S Super E carburetor (same pedigree).

The Mikuni is billed as a 40mm carb, but if you examine the carb closely you will note that the bore in way of the throttle plate is 40mm, but the venturi is actually oval (40mm x 27.4mm).  That works out to a cross-sectional area of 984.6mm squared, which is only equivalent to the cross-sectional area of a 35.4mm circle.  So, the stock carburetor is really a 35mm carb, not a 40mm.  It would be nice if one of you guys/gals could double check my calculation and confirm its accuracy.  Is a 40mm x 27.4mm oval cross section equivalent to a 35.4mm circular cross section?

Oval_Venturi.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Carburetor Comparison
Reply #1 - 03/17/19 at 15:02:22

The Kehin and the S&S are true 40mm carburetors.  The Kehin is sophisticated while the S&S is a model of simplicity.

Kehin_vs_SS_1.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 03/17/19 at 15:03:33

In the interest of full disclosure:  I intend to install the S&S on my bike.  First, I like the idea of having a bike that’s different, and it will be cool to have the only Savage with a big S&S mixer.  Second, it flows well.  Third, it was never meant to be installed on a 40 cubic inch single so it will be fun and challenging to get it to work correctly.  I will do my best to remain impartial on this comparison.

Preliminary_Install_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/17/19 at 15:04:43

Back in January I posted some flow numbers for our stock cylinder head, outlined some mods to my budget flow bench, and reported that the little bench couldn’t pull 10” H2O over the entire range of intake valve lifts.  At that time, my testing was limited by the flow bench capacity, so I was doing declining pressure drop tests and converting the data to 10” H2O using the tables provided by DTec.  Since January, I have beefed up the little bench so I can pull a full 15” H2O test pressure on both the intake and exhaust ports.  The bench is working very well.  The added capacity was the result of adding two more vacuum cleaners, so I now have the benefit of three vacuums worth of suction.  My wife and family think I’m insane, and I’m a real hit with the neighbors too.

Three_Vac_Setup_1.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 03/17/19 at 15:06:14

I did tests on the three carbs with no airbox attached, and also tested them with an airbox configured for maximum flow.  Let’s face it, not much point in installing a high-performance carb and then smothering it with a low-performance airbox.  The high-performance airbox configuration was the same as that outlined on my previous airbox flow tests (K&N filter with the airbox plastic cover removed, decorative tin in place).   So, a maximum flow run looked like this.

Kehin_on_Head.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 03/17/19 at 15:07:13

But a real-world flow test of the entire intake tract looked like this.  I want to give a BIG shout-out to “Playhard67” for donating this airbox assembly to the flow test project.  The tests would not be possible without the mule airbox as I am unwilling to rip that sucker out of my fully operational scooter.  A BIG Mahalo to “Playhard67”.    

E_with_Airbox_4.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 03/17/19 at 15:07:50

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a formula floating around that predicts horsepower based on intake flow measured at 10” H20, so I tested each configuration at 10” (actual, no conversion).  I wanted to try and determine if that formula is anywhere close to accurate.  The formula is: .43 (CFM)=HP.  The CFM value is measured @ 10” H2O.  I have now found this formula in two high performance publications and “Fast650” has also come up with the same formula.  The formula assumes that all other aspects of the engine are optimized.  The compression ratio, exhaust system, quench, ignition timing and advance curve, cam lift and timing, combustion chamber geometry, etc.  The formula must also assume fuel octane rating is appropriate for the BMEP, so 100+ octane gasoline would become part of the mix.  If any of you are familiar with this formula, it would be great if you could share your experience regarding its accuracy.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 03/17/19 at 15:10:36

So, let the games begin.  I sucked the guts out of all three intake tracts.  As mentioned earlier, all carbs were tested on the cylinder head with no airbox, and also with the airbox (setup for maximum street performance).  I tested each carb on a box-stock cylinder head, and a modified cylinder head (The HammerHead).  The CFM values were obtained using 15” H2O test pressure on the carb with no airbox, and 10” H2O with the airbox installed.  I can’t explain why I didn’t test the airbox configuration at 15” too.  All I can say is that I probably got fixated on the formula.   All the tests were repeated several times to ensure accuracy.

Box Stock Head

Mikuni:            145 CFM @ 15” (no  airbox)            113 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)
Kehin:              155 CFM @ 15”       (no airbox)            122 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)
S&S Super-E:        159 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            124 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

So far, the S&S is looking pretty good as far as WOT operation is concerned.  It shows about a 10% improvement over the stock carb.  The Kehin looks good too with about 8% more flow than stock.  These improvements over stock are about the same with or without the airbox.

Modified Hammer Head

Mikuni:        159 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            117 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)
Kehin:              180 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            128 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)
S&S Super-E:        191 CFM @ 15” (no airbox)            134 CFM @ 10” (airbox installed)

As the cylinder head flow capability improves, the S&S & Kehin flow advantages are increasing.  The S&S now flows 20% more than stock without the airbox and 14% more through the airbox.  The Kehin comes in at 13% better than stock without the airbox, and 9% through the airbox.  The spread is increasing.  I think that shows that the larger carbs really start to shine once the cylinder head is modified.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 03/17/19 at 15:11:23

If we look at the performance potential using the formula, the stock carburetor on a stock cylinder head and modified airbox has the potential to support about 49 HP.  That sounds optimistic.  I can’t accept that number.  Who knows, maybe with 14:1 compression, .035” quench, dual plugs, optimized ignition timing, a finely tuned straight pipe, an aggressive cam and VP C16 fuel (or maybe some of their oxygenated fuel), 49 ponies off the stock head and carb are achievable.  Seems unlikely to me.  What do you folks think?

The formula predicts that the S&S carb has the potential to support about 58 HP on an engine with a high-flow head.  If you consider that the engine in question would be built to the hilt, I guess it’s feasible, but still optimistic.  There are a lot of high-power single-cylinder machines on the market these days.  Many approach 70 HP, but they have huge valves and sophisticated engine management systems.  Our cylinder heads have valves that are appropriate for a 400cc engine, not a 650cc, and our engine management system consists of a fixed-timing ignition system (with no rev limiter) and a carburetor design circa the 1940s.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 03/17/19 at 15:12:18

During initial testing on the CV carbs (Mikuni & Kehin), I noted that the slides on those carbs do not lift fully at 10” H2O.  Under normal operating conditions, the engine speed would continue to increase, resulting in higher venturi velocity, resulting in the slide rising.  My tests were performed at a fixed pressure differential, so the slides stopped rising once 10” H2O was established.  In order to be fair to the two CV mixers, I took the slide springs out so that they would fully open at 10” H2O.  I’m not sure if this was the right approach.  Maybe I should have left the springs in place (of course their flow numbers would be in the toilet).  An interesting point here is that when I started testing with the airbox, the Mikuni flowed better than the Kehin.  The reduced flow through the airbox really affected the Kehin and at 10” the slide would hardly lift.  I found that interesting.  Can one of you shed some light on this?

Since we all know that higher air flow should result in more power, let’s focus on the actual flow rather than trying to predict horsepower using a formula.  On a stock engine, the Kehin outperforms the stock Mikuni by 8%, and the S&S outperforms the stock Mikuni by 10%.  On an engine with a high flow head (and airbox), the Kehin outperforms the stock Mikuni by 9%, and the S&S outperforms the stock Mikuni by 14%.  As cylinder head flow is increased by port work, these larger carbs really start to stand out.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 03/17/19 at 15:14:17

So, what’s the bottom line?  The S&S flows better than the Mikuni or the Kehin.  Whether or not it will make more horsepower remains to be seen.  It will be difficult to set up and get tuned correctly.  The manifold was a bit hard to fabricate, but it’s done and fits perfectly.  It’s clearly not as sophisticated as the metric mixer, but hope rings eternal.

The Kehin is more sophisticated than the S&S, and it fits nicely (except the throttle cables are on the right side of the carb).  Some preliminary investigating into parts for a Kehin 40mm used on the KX650 and KLR650 shows that the emulsion tube is different, and the main jet is way smaller and uses a different thread series.  It also uses a different needle jet and jet needle.  The emulsion tube and needle jet for the Kawasaki are expensive, so in addition to acquiring a Harley Kehin, I’m willing to bet one would have to purchase the emulsion tube, needle jet, jet needle, etc. for a Kawasaki (or similar Kehin) to get that carb to work on a 40-inch single.  Do any of you have anything to share about the 40mm Kehin CV carb used on Harley Sportsters and Big Twins?  Has anyone out there mounted one of these carbs on an S40, and if so, how did it work?

I would really like to test a Mikuni 36 & 38mm VM, and a 40mm Mikuni HSR, and any other carb that has potential for installation on the LS650.  If any of you have an old jalopy carb you would be willing to loan for testing, I will be more than happy to suck its guts out.  I’m sure the info would be beneficial to all the forum members.  Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Flow testing and modification on the HammerHead are going well.  I have been able to achieve very good improvements without increasing intake port volume.  “Fast650” has been instrumental in that progress and has done a great job of mentoring and keeping me on track (and of course he donated the HammerHead).  He’s my sounding board.  I’m finished with the intake and am preparing to move to the exhaust (an obvious challenge).  Now that I can suck a full 15” on both ports, things should move along better.  Once I am finished with the cylinder head flow tests and mods, I will share all the data with you along with a detailed map of the modified ports (intake currently about 195 CFM @ 15” H2O).

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/17/19 at 15:59:13

It will be interesting to see how smooth you can get the bike to run in the real world with such a big carb.  The "old school" part of my brain remembers that big bore carbs have issues with low speed jetting....as the air is moving so slow through the venturi at low rpm - it therefore gives very little "signal" or "vacuum" and the jetting is therefore difficult.  This is one reason the 2 and 4 barrel carbs where created....the small venturi(s) could more accurately provide the low speed mixture, and the bigger venturi(s) would open when needed.

As you mentioned - the Savage motor will likely have a very tough time making 50 HP.  As you have tested and discovered - the quench area and exhaust port are not set up well for making HP....we have a lawn mower engine in some respects....it is really not made to be a performance engine.  I think 40 HP is not too difficult to obtain with bolt on parts and a bit of porting.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #12 - 03/17/19 at 16:19:02

Looks like you having way too much fun.  Kudos for the work involved on that.

I just wanted to throw in that my brother had the S&S carb on his bike for about 2 years and finally gave up on it.  His motor was hopped up a bit with a cam and what not, I dont think he put the effort into making it work that you are, but after some amount of time he just didnt want to deal with the S&S.  It was a back firing and gas dumping machine.

In addition that he could sell the carb for a lot of money and just use a Keihin that ran great and didnt need constant attention.

I think your chances of success appear to be much better.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/17/19 at 17:55:26

I can send you a 36 & 38mm VM and an Edlebrock Quicksilver to test.
Send me a PM with address again please.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #14 - 03/18/19 at 11:23:55

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/17/19 at 15:11:23:
If we look at the performance potential using the formula, the stock carburetor on a stock cylinder head and modified airbox has the potential to support about 49 HP.  That sounds optimistic.  I can’t accept that number.  Who knows, maybe with 14:1 compression, .035” quench, dual plugs, optimized ignition timing, a finely tuned straight pipe, an aggressive cam and VP C16 fuel (or maybe some of their oxygenated fuel), 49 ponies off the stock head and carb are achievable.  Seems unlikely to me.  What do you folks think?

I think the bore to stroke ratio will be the main factor that limits power. More RPM=more power, and that long stroke places the limit at around 7000 RPM for acceptable engine life. You can spin it faster but you can start measuring time between top end rebuilds with a stopwatch then. Rings don't last long at those speeds, the heat anneals them and the ring seal goes away in no time. For the Savage, it will take boost or nitro to make the really big numbers unless you destroke it and increase the bore to keep the displacement similar.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/17/24 at 21:36:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.