Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe. (Read 1573 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.
06/11/14 at 04:45:02

A friend knows where I can get a Ninja 250 really cheap....like maybe in the $ 300 range.  It was a bike owned by a lady...who let her son borrow it.  It got crashed and trashed.  Bodywork is broken, engine does not run. My friend is retired and works on bikes....the lady brought it to him to fix, and he found one cylinder is low on compression....she didn't want to pay to have it repaired.  Used engines can be had for $ 300 or so if the current engine is not repairable.

I like this Blue Collar Bobber....Cafe' kit for the Ninja.

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/catalog/ninja-250-gpx-250-r-cafe

Anyone know if the Ninja 250 has a particular year that I should avoid....or years that are best?

NINJACafe.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.
Reply #1 - 06/11/14 at 05:22:04

As popular as those things are Id make 2 bets.
One, theres a forum filled with Ninja friends out there that will help you answer all your questions.
Two, a dealership mechanic WILL know everythng there is to know about them,,Unlike ours.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/11/14 at 09:17:07

I'd sure like that in a 500... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/11/14 at 18:03:38

Sounds like a great project, just promise us you won't leave this forum!  Not long ago I read an article written by a guy who bought a crashed Ninja with busted up plastic.  He stripped it down and turned into a nice classically styled standard bike for his daughter.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/11/14 at 18:31:02

Dave can't leave... He's a lifer... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 06/12/14 at 00:25:10

Wowzers!!!! That EX250 Cafe is AWESOME!!!!

I once owned for a couple of years, the Canadian spec, EX250-H (ZZ-R250) and there's not a day goes by that I don't miss that Bike ... was a fun 'lil Ride and very cool in an Old-Skool kinda way!

Get one, do the conversion ... you WON'T regret it!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/12/14 at 04:49:23

Well I bought the Ninja....sight unseen for $ 250.  It has been dropped, the engine has some kind of issue....but the friend that told me about it says it is a worthwhile bike.  He said the fairing is cracked, and one cylinder seems low on compression.  I am not going to use the fairing so that is no big deal....and engines can be had for $ 350 - $ 500.  A lot of these Noobie Squids drop these bikes long before they wear the engines out.....so there is a big supply of engines.  The 2008 and up engines are supposed to have about 30% more midrange and be more user freindly....so if I look for an engine I might try and find a later one.

If the bike is worthwhile....I will see if the engine is savleable and watch for a good engine.  It will be a winter project.

And no.....I am not trading in my Savage or place on this forum.  I just have a need to create something cool next winter.  The lady owner of this bike has made a condition of the sale.....that she gets first chance to buy it if I decide to sell it.  Hopefully she has learned not to loan it to her son!

Dave

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #7 - 06/12/14 at 05:38:28

That looks like a fun project Dave.  Are you going with the full BCB kit?
Looks like a really nice kit, they even supply a hack saw!
I hope you document your build somewhere.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/12/14 at 09:28:49

Gerry wrote on 06/12/14 at 05:38:28:
 Are you going with the full BCB kit?
Looks like a really nice kit, they even supply a hack saw!
I hope you document your build somewhere.
Gerry

I suppose I will go with the full kit on this build - although I am not sure I really want them to mail me a front tire....or send me a hacksaw.  I already have a hacksaw....and I might want to pick up my own tire brand.

For a build thread....I imagine that it will be this one.  Since it is not a Savage, it should not be included in the RSD or included in the Sticky for the Bike Builds.  After all....who wants to see some "Ninjacompoop" work on a little 250cc kit build?
Huh

It appears that there is a lot less stuff to modify and change on this bike than on the Savage RYCA.  The Ninja is mostly left intact, and just the bodywork is changed......and the instrument cluster and turn signals...and the fenders.  No fussing with shocks and forks and batteries and air cleaners and rear sets and brake linkages and fuel tanks and clip ons and wheel sizes and kick stands and decompression solenoids.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 06/12/14 at 17:08:16

That looks like a very cool little bike. Nice way to recycle a UJM. A friend had one of those. it rode very nicely but I found the revvy engine tiresome very quickly. Didn't make any useable power until about 9000 rpm then spun to 16k. It just wore me out listening to it. Awesome handling though.

« Last Edit: 06/12/14 at 20:17:47 by gizzo »  
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 06/13/14 at 06:59:23

The little 2013 ninja 250 i had purchased for the wife left a little to be desired in the low range (very low geared) and of course the top end is about 90-ish, you might break a hundred on a good day.
They are VERY good in the twisties though and are super lightwieght compaired to the savage.

As far as this site....could create another area for "other bikes", i've seen it done on other bike sites.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/13/14 at 07:14:21

Yea, I bet it is going to be an adjustment to go from a 650 single torque monster.....to a 250 twin with "tiny torque".  I did ride a Ninja 300 last year, and that was a fun bike - but I definetly noticed that it didn't do a thing unless you wound it up a bit.....and the 300 is reported to be a big improvement above the 250 models.

I am sure this will be a bike that I just ride on the back roads around here - it won't be put into interstate or touring service for long trips.  On top of the bike you can be riding your little heart out, playing racer, shifting gears, using all the throttle you got......and nobody else will know!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/13/14 at 07:46:04

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/

Best Kawasaki forum going. Was a member from 2005-2008 when I had the pair of 800 Vulcans. Still reference it occasionally for the 1500 Drifter, but no longer an active member.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/13/14 at 09:19:32

Thanks WD......that link led me to this article.  It makes lot of sense, not just for the Ninja 250 - but a lot of bikes including the Savage.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_put_a_bigger_engine_in_my_Ninja

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/13/14 at 10:16:50

Quote:
And it's plug-n-play, ready-to-ride, just-add-squid.

Where's the freaking fun in that?  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:45:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.