Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Baseline Data (Read 1127 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Cylinder Head Baseline Data
11/20/18 at 20:55:28

The cylinder head is the heart of the system.  The amount of air admitted to the engine is dependent on the ability of the cylinder head, and its associated ports, valves, and combustion chamber, to flow freely.  You can install all sorts of high flow components like air filters, carburetors, exhaust pipes and mufflers, but the engine’s ultimate performance will always be limited by the capability of the cylinder head to allow maximum flow.  It’s easy to add more fuel, but difficult to add the additional air required to burn the fuel effectively, and at the correct air/fuel ratio to achieve maximum power.  Therefore, power is limited by the amount of air introduced into the cylinder.

We currently don’t have a lot of data on the LS650 cylinder head.  We know that it has this funny plug that tends to leak, but I haven’t seen any info related to combustion chamber volume, port volumes, valve sizes, valve-to-valve clearance, maximum permissible valve lift, valve spring seating pressure or spring constant.  This post is intended to provide pertinent data on the LS650 cylinder head, so we can make informed decisions about modifications we intend to perform.  This data will help us plan for mods like high lift camshafts, increased compression ratio, larger carburetors, porting, increased valve size, exhaust systems, etc.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Cylinder Head Baseline Data
Reply #1 - 11/20/18 at 20:57:43

I’ll start by listing data that would be necessary to decide things like what cam can be installed, or how large the intake valves can be, or where the compression ratio will end up.  I will then describe why I feel the data is important, and then finish off with some pictures and descriptions of how the measurements are taken.

The following is a list of measurements that most certainly will be useful.  I took these measurements from a used cylinder head that I recently purchased.  The head appears to be in pristine condition and obviously has very little operating time.  If you have no interest in how the data was obtained, the list is there for your consumption.  If you are curious as to how the measurements were taken, continue reading the post after the list of data.  I hope some of you find the data and info useful.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 11/20/18 at 20:59:38

Valves

Intake valve head diameter: 33mm (1.30”)
Intake valve O/A length: 98mm (3.855”)
Intake valve face to keeper groove centerline 94mm ((3.700”)
Intake valve keeper groove diameter: .225”
Intake valve stem diameter: .2742”
Intake valve weight: 49 grams

Exhaust valve head diameter: 28mm (1.10”)
Exhaust valve O/A length: 91.5mm (3.600”)
Exhaust valve face to keeper groove centerline: 87.3mm (3.435”)
Exhaust valve keeper groove diameter: .223”
Exhaust valve stem diameter” .2737”
Exhaust valve weight: 43 grams

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 11/20/18 at 21:01:52

Clearances & Distances

Valve-to-valve (valves at rest):  .500”
Valve-to-valve (.400” lift both valves): .136”      Note: never gonna crash valves together on this engine.

Intake valve margin flush with head surface at .079” lift
Exhaust valve margin flush with head surface at .081” lift

Valve margin to seat OD typical: .060”
Exhaust valve margin to exhaust valve margin: .400”
Intake valve margin to Intake valve margin: .200”

Intake valve spring retainer to guide seal: .430”
Exhaust valve spring retainer to guide seal: .430”

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 11/20/18 at 21:04:30

Springs

Spring free length (inner): 1.445”
Spring OD (inner): .825”
Spring ID (inner): .625”
Wire diameter (inner): .100”
Spring weight (inner): 14 grams

Spring free length (outer): 1.640” – 1.650”
Spring OD (outer): 1.155”
Spring ID (outer): .875”
Wire diameter (outer): .137”
Spring weight (outer): 36 grams

Spring assembly installed height (intake & exhaust):  1.300”
Spring assembly force at installed height:  52-55 lbs.
Spring assembly force at .950”: 136-139 lbs. (.350” lift)
Spring assembly constant: 24 lbs./.100”
Spring assembly coil bind height: .849”  (travel to coil bind 1.300-.849 = .451”)
Spring assembly weight (inner + outer): 50 grams
Spring retainer weight: 16 grams
Spring retainer keeper weight (per set): 2 grams

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 11/20/18 at 21:06:07

Ports

Intake port opening diameter: 42mm (1.65”)
Exhaust port opening diameter: 34mm (1.34”)
Intake port volume: 112cc
Exhaust port volume: 66cc  

Combustion Chamber

Combustion chamber volume: 57cc

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 11/20/18 at 21:13:23

Let’s discuss the importance of the various data.

The valve dimensions are useful in purchasing replacement valves.  For instance, if you want to install a valve made from titanium rather than stainless steel, or a valve with a larger head diameter, the dimensions will help you find a valve that will fit the LS650 cylinder head.

Valve weight is necessary to calculate applicable spring rate for the maximum rpm you intend to use as a limit.

Valve-to-valve clearance is important on some engines, but as it turns out, not an important measurement on the LS650.  On some engines, for instance Harley Davidson, the intake and exhaust valves are situated close to each other in the at rest position.  During overlap, when the exhaust valve is closing, and the intake valve is opening, the valves can run into each other if the cam produces too much lift at TDC.  The LS650 geometry is such that even when both valves (intake & exhaust) are opened to .400” (something that will never occur), there is still .136” clearance between the valve margins.  We will never have to worry about installing a camshaft that causes valve-to-valve interference.

“Valve margin flush point with cylinder head surface” gives you an idea as to how much valve lift will result in the valve margin moving below the head surface.  If you want to setup the engine with zero deck height (i.e. top of piston flush with top of cylinder at TDC), then you must be concerned with collisions between the valves and piston at TDC during overlap.  

When selecting a camshaft, you need to be interested in what TDC lift the cam will produce and be aware that if that TDC lift exceeds the flush point you may have to increase the depth of the valve reliefs in the pistons.  If you intend to use a piston with a raised dome (pop-top), like the Wiseco, the problem may become worse.  From what I understand, the LS650 piston doesn’t come close to the cylinder deck at TDC (I recall one forum member stating, “you can measure deck height with a tape measure”.  Very humorous analogy.).  However, most tuners in search of good horsepower numbers try to run around zero deck with a resultant .030” to .040” quench clearance (the head gasket compressed thickness), a condition I intend to pursue.  If that’s the cool aid you want to drink, then you must pay attention to where the valves will be during overlap.

Valve margin to seat OD gives you some sort of idea how much seat material is available for installation of oversize valves.  Usually, oversize valves require installation of oversize seats, but it’s my understanding that sometimes there is enough material in the standard seat to allow installation of slightly oversize valves in the existing seats.  Given the fact that there is about .060” between the stock valve margin and the edge of the seat, it looks to me like it might be possible to install valves that are 1mm or 2mm larger.

Exhaust & Intake valve margin to margin distance allows you to evaluate whether there is room for larger valves.  Looks to me like the LS650 has plenty of room in this department.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 11/20/18 at 21:21:26

Spring retainer to guide seal clearance is very important when installing a cam with more lift.  If this distance isn’t sufficient, the cam will run the retainer into the seal and guide, and failure will be imminent (it won’t be pretty).  

On the LS650 cylinder head, when the valve is closed, we have .430” clearance between the spring retainer and guide seal.  The general rule of thumb is you want a minimum of .060” clearance between the guide seal and retainer when the valve is full open.  So, if you want to maintain .060” clearance then you should limit max valve lift to .370”.  Select your cam accordingly.  Note that the Stage 3 cam has .393” lift.  

I have run as little as .030” clearance but that was on full effort machines with the highest quality valve springs available.  Some remedies for clearance issues between the retainer and guide seal are special spring retainers that provide additional clearance, or special guides with a lower installed height.  

Physical dimensions of the springs are useful when you are looking for superior replacements.  You need the OD & ID in order to be sure that the replacement will fit.

The weights of the valves, springs, spring retainer, and keepers, are necessary to calculate safe operating RPM.  The inertia of these components may overcome spring force and cause a loss of valve control.  All sorts of bad stuff results from loss of valve control (primarily parts running into each other).

Spring force measurements and spring constant are necessary to calculate safe operating RPM.  Same reason as described above.  The spring constant can also be used to predict what the spring force will be at various lifts.

Spring installed height is necessary to establish how much spring force is applied when the valve is closed.  Generally, there is a specification for this value, but I can’t find it in the “all-inclusive” Clymer manual.  If any of you happen to have that value from perhaps the genuine Suzuki manual, I would be pleased as punch if you could share it.  I measured these four relatively new springs at only 52-55 lbs. at installed height.  That seems woefully low.  In contrast, an old Honda CB350 (circa 1972) with almost identical intake valves, requires about 101 lbs. at an installed height of 1.32”.  The old Honda redlined around 10,500 so maybe that justifies springs with half the force on our 6500 rpm engine.

Spring coil bind height is very important.  If the cam tries to lift the valve beyond the coil bind height the spring goes solid and once again, failure is imminent, and it won’t be pretty.  The LS 650 springs coil bind at .849”.  Installed height is 1.300”, so at .451” valve travel the spring will go hard.  Using the .060” margin of safety you end up with max valve lift of about .390” (.451” - .060” = .391”).  Any cam that produces a valve lift over .390” is a “use at your own peril” proposition.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 11/20/18 at 21:28:28

Port diameters are useful in evaluating installation of carburetors and exhaust pipes.  It doesn’t make a lot of sense to install a 45mm carburetor on a port with a 42mm opening unless you intend to modify the port.

Port volume is useful to monitor port modification.  Keeping the flow velocity as high as practical is a noble endeavor, since that will maintain good throttle response and drivability.  If you get out of hand with the grinder, and increase port volume too much, the drivability will go in the toilet.  You might end up with a killer top end at the expense of being able to ride the bike to that lonely road where it’s safe to go WOT.

Knowing what the stock port volume is will allow you to monitor your modifications.  I imagine small increases in port volume are perfectly OK, for instance, cleaning up casting imperfections and blending in steps at valve seats may increase volume a few cc.  The resultant increase in volume and possible decrease in velocity should be more than offset by the improvement in flow.   However, if you start making dramatic changes to the port, like raising the top of the port to improve the angle of attack to the valve, you might want to build up the bottom of the port to restore volume to something closer to the stock volume.  That will help to maintain velocity.  I assume more port volume will result in higher power at higher rpm and reduced low and mid-range power.

Combustion chamber volume is necessary to calculate compression ratio.  The advertised ratio on the LS650 is 8.5:1.  With a 57cc combustion chamber, a 1mm head gasket (7cc volume), 652cc displacement and an assumed deck height of zero, the compression ratio should be about 11.2:1.  But then there’s that negative deck we were discussing earlier.  That negative deck along with the head gasket become part of the combustion chamber, so instead of 57cc the chamber is more like 87cc (when the gasket volume and unswept cylinder volume are added in).  So, you end up with 87+652/87 = 8.5.  Fiddle around with those numbers for awhile and you will figure out that the unswept height of the cylinder is about .130”.  Add the gasket thickness to that and you end up with .170” quench clearance.  Ah yes, the tape measure could certainly be used to measure that.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 11/20/18 at 21:30:28

Let’s look at how some of these measurements are taken.

The dimensional stuff is self-explanatory, so I won’t go into that.  It’s done with calipers and micrometers and is straight forward.

Weighing the valves, retainers, and keepers can be done with a postal scale.

Intake_49g.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 11/20/18 at 21:31:55

Checking valve-to-valve clearance is accomplished by setting the valves at the desired lift and then running numbered drill bits between the margins.  In the case of the LS650, I had to open the valves all the way to .400” before I could get them close enough to each other to take a reasonable measurement.  The valve-to-valve is never gonna be a problem on this engine.

Valve_to_Valve__28___400.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 11/20/18 at 21:33:10

Taking the valve lift necessary to place the valve margin flush with the head surface can be accomplished by placing a tool bit across the head surface directly above the valve.  Open the valve until it contacts the bit and measure how far the valve traveled.

Intake_hits___079.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 11/20/18 at 21:34:15

Valve retainer to seal clearance is measured with the retainer & keepers in place.  Pull hard on the retainer to close the valve and seat the keepers, then measure the distance from the underside of the retainer to the guide seal.

Retainer_to_seal__430.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 11/20/18 at 21:35:23

To measure spring installed height, install a spacer of known thickness (in this case .747”) over the guide and in hard contact with the steel spring seat.  Then install the spring retainer and keepers.  Pull hard on the retainer to close the valve and seat the keepers, then measure from the outer spring surface on the retainer to the spacer.  Add the measurement to the known thickness of the spacer to calculate spring installed height (.747” + .553” = 1.300”).

Installed_height_1_300.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 11/20/18 at 21:36:31

To measure spring installed force, set up a good bathroom scale (the strain gauge type is preferred) on a drill press.  I use a large metal plate beneath the scale to make sure that it is uniformly supported.  Then place an ample metal plate on the scale platform so that the spring force is not concentrated in a small area, the plate distributes the load.  Place the spring assembly close to the center of the plate.  Zero out the scale.  Then apply force to the top of the spring and retainer until the spring is compressed to the installed height (in this case 1.300”).  Read the scale to record force at installed height (55 lbs.).  Then continue to compress the spring to a height representative to full open (I chose .950” which equals .350” lift) and take a reading (this spring exerted 139 lbs. @ .950”).  The second reading not only gives you an idea of how much force is available at full lift, but also gives you a second data point to be used to calculate the spring constant (84 lbs. increase over .350” compression works out to 24 lbs./.100”).

55_Lbs___1_300.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 07:44:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Baseline Data

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.