Rebuild an S40 (Read 119 times)
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Rebuild an S40
01/27/19 at 12:16:15

Plans are now to add a FL rear fender, eliminate the airbox, install custom battery box, and use a electronic tank from TC Bros to hide all electronics... Thoughts on this???

1996 Suzuki Savage Street Bobber, Arlen Ness Air Filter, El Diablo Ape Hangers, Kuryakyn Flame Mirrors with more parts to come...
WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Rebuild an S40
Reply #1 - 01/27/19 at 15:28:44

Been there done that( FL fender)   the FL fender is made of  much thinner metal than the stock fender , and is not strong enough to support passenger weight and tends to wiggle /wag back and forth sideways even if not. I found the best solution for me was to save the first 1/3 of the stock fender,  ,this saves the four mounting bolts to the frame and the two holes, toward the front on each side,   that are used to mount the side braces, which you'll need to reuse or make custom to add support an stop the wag. the cut you make should fall behind the shocks and be unobtrusive ,unless your building a hard tail(solo)  in,which case I would suggest a backing plate inside the fender at the four mounting bolts and normal braces to the frame.
      If your going for a full fendered look an old Sportster front fender is much longer at the rear than stock,  and allows great protection from road spray, without use of a funky looking mud flap. The Sportster and Savage both use 19 front tires of the same size ,but you will have to devise your own mount. Good Luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/27/19 at 17:40:56

Regarding the fake oil tank for electronics.  I know this is a popular option, but I'm trying to picture how it works.  Do people just stuff all components and wiring inside the fake oil tank?  Is there any parts that require air to cool down?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/27/19 at 21:58:55

Playhard ,the regulator/rectifier converts extra power to heat when the battery is fully charged and there is more than enough to run the bike , the heat is dispelled by air passing over the fins.

IP Logged
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Reply #4 - 01/28/19 at 05:52:21

I was considering putting the rectifier behind the battery box and the starter solenoid, fuses and other wires in this tube and connect the switch to it as well... I cant believe Suzuki has the rectifier under the passenger seat as your right they get hot and can fry if over heated...

I have a Brother who has a rear fender and is willing to just give it to me (have to pay shipping which is cool)… I was looking for some fender struts and luck be with me got another Brother who has a set of Honda VTX's... He of course wants an old gun I have... So the deal is on and yes he will have to cough up some more goodies for this deal to happen... I will be honest I don't think this bike will be ready for spring... Maybe summer... This bike is my favorite build ever... Should have bagged Harley 20 years ago and got into these bike... FUN FUN FUN...

1996 Suzuki Savage Street Bobber, Arlen Ness Air Filter, El Diablo Ape Hangers, Kuryakyn Flame Mirrors with more parts to come...
WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 01/28/19 at 06:36:52

I would consider mounting the rectifier to the front or one side of the battery box ,leaving it more open to air flow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/28/19 at 15:55:58

Inside the vented box mounted to metal that is air cooled equals air cooled plus heat sink.
That's how the factory did it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Reply #7 - 01/28/19 at 17:25:52

I ended up looking at an old school Sportster Rear Fender... I may go this route... Still have time I guess as we have more snow in the forecast…

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:17:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rebuild an S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.