Send Topic Print
Custom intake (Read 273 times)
vandaman

Not all who wander
are lost

georgia
Custom intake
01/02/19 at 11:44:53

Anyone know anything about this intake setup, e.g. Parts used. I would love to utilize this set up on my current rebuild. Thanks

73100387-9541-42B1-ADBD-F64E7369874D-5669-0000071E9CA86221_zpsf72a7f91.jpg

Bike info 2006 S40
Mods front fender delete, mini ape style bars, solo seat, boat trailer read fender, turn signal delete, free flow exhaust, ed.l forward controls, and pegs
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Re: Custom intake
Reply #1 - 01/02/19 at 19:02:36

Until someone with actual knowledge responds, I'm happy to play the guessing game.

If it were duller, I'd think it was a bend of radiator hose. But given how shiny it is, I'll go with the some variation of the Home Depot option below (also available in chrome, white, brass or oil-rubbed bronze).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-ABS-DWV-Return-Bend-C5879HD2/100345955

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 01/02/19 at 21:27:46

I'm thinking turbo hose maybe  2 elbows. I would rather see the filter more forward and not sucking hot air off the engine.
HaHa no knowledge here , just two cents worth of opinion !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/02/19 at 21:34:49

Look at the post, Inlet Manifold, started by Zipdachimp, 10 posts below yours . Note my directions to -tuneing your intake - started by me on 6/30 16 @ 18:51
You can find it by going back to the first page of this section, looking to the upper left side of the page you'll see the page numbers,123...907 (currently)     click on one of the periods between the page numbers and a new page will pop up with all the numbers between 1 and 907, click on page 77(currently) and scroll down finding the post by using batman or the date and time. read and learn like I did . the length of the pipe you use is important , as it will improve(EV) hp at certain rpms (tunable by length) and is present at those rpms,  in any gear. when using the charts ,dividing the rpm by 66.7 will give you approx. speeds(stock gearing). I used 2" schedule 40 pipe as it is both strong and has nearly the same inside diameter as the stock CV carb.

« Last Edit: 01/02/19 at 22:46:32 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/03/19 at 03:17:33

I bet DieselBob is correct about what the air cleaner bend is made from.

That air cleaner is in a really bad spot if you decide to ride in the rain......the bike it is mounted on is likely just used on dry days, as both tires are going to throw water all over you anyhow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 01/03/19 at 05:06:58

That's true. you can however place  an elbow on the intake on that bike an run the filter behind the battery box where it is protected. I ,myself gutted and altered the stock air box ,ran the intake inside and moved two" Öldfellers " custom filters to the outside , one built in the door behind the right side cover,and one in the rear between the frame rails just in front off the rear fender. This allows you to still run the breather tube to the air box and the intake to be weather protected.  The bike appears to be to be stock.

« Last Edit: 01/03/19 at 07:02:48 by batman »  

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #6 - 01/03/19 at 05:42:13

Quote:
(also available in chrome, white, brass or oil-rubbed bronze)

I failed to mention it's also available in cast brass. But seriously, is there really a 12 year old child in the Hunan Province rubbing that bronze with an oil-soaked rag?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/03/19 at 12:04:42

ABS is more ridged  than PVC and tends to deform in sun light. Neither of these things endears me to it's use on my motorcycle.

« Last Edit: 01/04/19 at 08:19:49 by batman »  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 01/05/19 at 03:38:07

batman wrote on 01/03/19 at 12:04:42:
ABS is more ridged  than PVC and tends to deform in sun light. Neither of these things endears me to it's use on my motorcycle.

Yep, did that a time or two; not a good result.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/07/19 at 15:22:46

This may work for you. It's the same diameter (2.25 in.) as the carb outlet. I purchased the 45 degree one.  I am hoping to install it this weekend using a K&N cone filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZTGTIK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/07/19 at 18:29:15

We have 40 mm carbs stock , 40 mm = 1.57 inches.  the pipe above being 2.25inches OD=57.15mm the wall thickness being .065"x2 makes the ID 57.02 mm , 17mm too large.
The object of extending the intake is to increase the amount, and velocity of air /fuel mix through the carb, a too large intake pipe will have a mass of air that is hard to accelerate ,and performance will fall off at mid to high rpm , it is better to have a slightly to small intake pipe as velocity doesn't fall of as fast.

« Last Edit: 01/08/19 at 08:22:33 by batman »  

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/07/19 at 18:59:00

Not sure why we have differences.  Looking the the carb with calipers.... OD is 57mm (don't know if it is stock or not).  Airbox - OD is 62mm.  The pipe I listed above - OD is 57mm.  I know the ID's are a bit difference because the pipe is a thin wall... but certainly not 17mm.

What am I doing wrong?

I read an older thread on intake size...etc.  Me, I'm just looking at increasing the air by using the cone.  I'll increase the exhaust by trimming down the port.  Then I'll get the carb rejetted.

What am I missing?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 01/07/19 at 19:21:56

You need to be looking at the carb's inside diameter  ,the air/fuel mix doesn't care what the outside of the carb measures.
    If your trying to increase performance by using a cone filter ,that's probably not going to happen ,cone filters are usually used because their pretty, not because they perform or filter better.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/07/19 at 19:29:06

I was strictly looking at it from a rubber (2.25 in. hose) connection point...pipe to carb using external dimensions. And, yes I am going with the cone for looks.  For me, I don't need a high performance bike.  Thanks for the correction on the 40mm.  For me, there's a lot to learn on this site.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 01/08/19 at 04:36:13

If you are going to use an elbow to mount the carb then you need an aluminum mounting flange & tube, welded together for stability.  If not, vibration will make it unworkable.  
The one I made of abs also had a metal mount on the top of the carb to the frame to add additional stabilization but it broke within 2 days riding the Dragon.  Barely made it back to the motel.
When you have a rubber mounting flange it just does not hold the weight of a carb way out on the end.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 20:14:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom intake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.