Head Cover Alignment (Read 196 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Head Cover Alignment
Reply #15 - 12/23/18 at 20:24:03

You are absolutely correct Armen.  I have been meaning to get some plasti- gauge and give the vertical clearance a look, but the holiday season has presented too many distractions.  Once the holiday dust settles, I will be taking that reading.  

The vertical alignment would be pretty tough to fix.  I used to work with a product called "Artis Shim Stock" (sic).  It's a plastic shim material that came in a variety of thicknesses.  That might be a possible solution but maintenance would be a total pain.  Another possibility might be brush plating, but it would take forever and also empty your wallet Big Time.  

I suspect that too much vertical clearance would be fairly simple to correct (skim cut the bottom of the cover), but too little vertical clearance would be very difficult to fix.  I'll take the pasti-gauge reading and post the results.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #16 - 12/23/18 at 21:40:39

OK, the stories:
I had a '79 XL250S. Needed major top end surgery. It also had a bad leak between the head and valve cover. I decided to lap the top of the head and the bottom of the cover. Had to do a lot of lapping before I saw that both surfaces were flat.
Bike started right up, and ran for seconds before going SQUEAK! and stalling I had wiped out the clearance, and no oil was getting to the cam journals.
Took it apart and started with coarse lapping compound, then fine compound, then aluminum polish, repeatedly checking the clearance, then hosed it forever with contact cleaner.
SUCH a pain in the butt.
Another time a customer had lost one of the cam caps on a GS750. Found a used one and had to do the same voodoo to it.
Probably impregnated the metal with some abrasives.
woof.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 12/24/18 at 13:22:11

I imagine I should have at least .001" vertical clearance since the spud was around .0015" larger than the cam journals and the cover went home without any trouble.  Anyone know what the actual specification is for the clearance?  Shazam!  I see the all-inclusive Clymer Manual calls it out at .0013" to .0026" with a wear limit of .0059".  Now I've got something to shoot for.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 01/26/19 at 19:05:20

Finally got around to measuring the vertical clearance with plasti-gage.  I've got .002" on the right journal and .0015" on the left.  Good call Armen.  Probably would have been a good idea to check that before I embarked on the realignment.  I got lucky this time.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 06/06/19 at 20:18:08

I unearthed this old post to report how the realignment worked.  I've put about 160 miles of hard running on the realigned cover and it is working just fine.  I've run it up to 7K at least four or five times and also did quite a bit of freeway riding.  No hiccups.  I think it's safe to report that this realignment procedure works good.

If you can't find a matched set (head & head cover), you can buy the cover or the head individually and realign them using this procedure.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:09:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Cover Alignment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.