Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Victim of lousy timing, story of my life! (Read 187 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Victim of lousy timing, story of my life!
12/15/18 at 01:34:03

Now comes news of a new range of KTM mid size(500cc) bikes. Mahindra has bought the BSA name and has targeted USA for new mid-size bikes. Royal Enfield is already here and in 6 weeks I'm turning 75. As a lover of all things mid-size, I'm really bummed. I was really hoping the new Rebel 500 would be similar to previous ones, but it is godawful ugly.  By the time all these great bikes get here, I'll be over the hill, if not under it! Rats!
Cheers! Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Victim of lousy timing, story of my life!
Reply #1 - 12/15/18 at 04:20:29

Only God knows the number of days you have left, as for me I’m riding as long as I can get on and push the starter button.    Make plans and enjoy until the day arrives when He says “times up”.  It could be tomorrow or another 20 years.  My stepdad is 96 and going strong.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 12/15/18 at 09:59:39

Yea , Zip

I was hope ing the Rebel would be a 500cc air-cooled twin in an up sized 250 Rebel body.

I've got a GS500 twin and the motor is Great but the platform is  "Sport-Bike" in nature.

I ain't found anything to take the place of my Savage and that's " OK " ,  Wink

with the 25 tooth front pulley is does the super-slab just fine , but I'm still looking for a 4.5 + fuel tank ?  Roll Eyes

I like the Enfield 650 but that chain just ain't a belt , and if Honda had of got the Rebel right they still would have put a chain on it .  Tongue

There just ain't no hope is there ?    The Savage/S-40 is the only game in town !  

Have you looked at the Guzzi V-9 Roamer ?  It sits like a Savage but with a 850cc motor and shaft drive.  Air cooled too.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/15/18 at 10:14:40

Zippy:

There is no reason to be glum - there are some great bikes you can buy right now, that will run and run and keep you riding for the rest of your years.

If it is the retro looking, mid mount foot controls you want:

MM's Moto Guzzi rides great, has good power, shaft drive, and it is reliable and easy to work on.

The Triumph Speed Twin is a beauty, and it has lost some weight over the Bonneville model.

(Both the Moto Guzzi and Triumph likely don't have good enough seats for long trips, and will need a seat upgrade for touring).

If you are OK with forward controls and a less vintage look:

The Kawasaki Vulcan S can do anything you want, it has power, comparatively light weight, low seat height.

The Honda CTX was the choice of my 76 year old neighbor - he loved the automatic transmission, weather protection and seating position.

If you want mid-controls and a naked bike (and are OK with modern looking):

The Honda CB500F or the 650 model will keep you on the road for a very, very long time.

If I was looking for a mid sized sport touring bike right now.....I would be looking for good used BMW F800GT.  It has 90 HP, belt drive, parallel twin, good wind/weather protection, and it has a nice seat height and is not very heavy.

And I agree with MM.....my Savage is the bike I am keeping "forever".  I will be able to ride it long after the other ones have become too heavy, too tall, and too fast.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 12/15/18 at 10:15:53

I'm waiting to see the BSA single too ! Rumors said it was gonna be 355 cc but I think a 500 cc might sell better here in the states. I'm with Lancer , as long as I can get on it and start it I'm ridin it. Kinda like being married ,
" Till Death Do Us Part "

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 12/15/18 at 11:21:17

OK!  OK ! I have a nasty habit of whining when the sun shines!!!!  Compared to others I know, I got it good! Reasonable health, 2 good S40s, no money worries if I live modestly,  deserve a lump of coal from Santa.
ps;  fake tree was too much trouble to put up, take down,  so I gave it away and built one from plywood, haha! too much fun! cheers! Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/15/18 at 11:22:54

It's not like it's the first time the cool stuff got built too late. I watched those little hooligans on their Big Wheels,,, and was bummed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 12/15/18 at 16:43:47

Yeah I remember Big Wheels. We would steal them and take them to the top of windy roads and race to the bottom , over and over , we were the first drifters.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #8 - 12/15/18 at 19:13:37

zipidachimp wrote on 12/15/18 at 01:34:03:
I'm turning 75.

I'll be 75 shortly as well .... I think it's the new 50  Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 12/15/18 at 20:36:07

Grin

I'm young enough to call ya'll  "Old Timers "   , I wasn't born till the year the Korean war ended !  Wink

But , old enough to be working on my bucket list .   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/15/18 at 21:53:24

Everyone who knows ME should take that class.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/16/18 at 04:13:58

I would suggest you fellas not get too excited about the coming BSA.....chances are it will be modernized in a way that is going to be a bit disappointing to us old farts.

Remember the recent Indian Tracker?  The prototype looked great - the production bike morphed into something entirely different and far less attractive (it looks like the naked bikes from Ducati, KTM, Yamaha, etc.).

https://newatlas.com/indian-ftr1200-flat-tracker-production/55071/

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/ftr1200/

Husqvarna makes a big single.......not my cup of tea and very expensive:
https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/vitpilen/vitpilen-701/

Hopefully Mahindra will look at what Triumph has done and make a bike that faithfully mimics the 60's bikes - and not create some modern "Transformer" looking naked bike.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 12/16/18 at 06:58:12

Dave , This is exactly why I built my Savage/Ryca/Ruttly Street Tracker cause no one builds what I want to ride. The BSA is the only one left I might have a interest in , not expecting a B50 with a starter but some sort of retro look would be cool.

Dear Santa, Skip the Indian Street Tracker , Indian screwed it all up ! How bout a new guitar , ok a tie will be just fine !

Crap just shoot me !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 12/16/18 at 19:24:12

Dear Santa, Skip the Indian Street Tracker , Indian screwed it all up ! How bout a new guitar , ok a tie will be just fine !  

Sometimes wouldn't ya like to take one of those Royal Enfield Himalia's out for a ride   ?  

Or is it just me ???  Tongue

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/17/18 at 03:26:45

MMRanch wrote on 12/16/18 at 19:24:12:
Sometimes wouldn't ya like to take one of those Royal Enfield Himalia's out for a ride   ?  

Or is it just me ???  Tongue

I think it is just you........if I wanted a dual sport/adventuring touring bike, I would go with the proven and get a good used Suzuki V-Strom 650 if I wanted a twin so highway travel was good - or a DR650 if I wanted to spend more time in the dirt and wasn't concerned about going 80 mph for long periods.  (I rode a V-Strom 1,000 - the bike was incredibly powerful but the seat height was really high, and I could only touch the ground tippy toe on one side at a time.....not both feet).
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-vstrom/6733920909.html
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2006-vstrom-1000/6749319228.html

The Royal Enfield Himalayan just doesn't have a proven reputation yet, and the dealers are and parts are just too obscure to make me feel good about owning one.  I did a search and there is only 1 listed dealer in Kentucky is about 3 hours away, and the closest of the 4 dealers in Ohio is an hour away.....the others are all more than 3 hours away.

« Last Edit: 12/18/18 at 04:02:45 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 04:16:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Victim of lousy timing, story of my life!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.